Best 100 Dollars you ever spent on Bonsai

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have been lucky enough to come into 100 dollars that I have been requested to purchase something wanted rather than needed, meaning I will be spending it on bonsai! The question is the title of the thread. What’s the beat 100 bucks you ever spent on bonsai or bonsai related things? It could be a purchase of greater than 100 (if not too much higher) or many small purchases that totalled around 100 USD. If you want to suggest things, I don’t have much (3 trees basically) purchased nursery material, but I do have some aluminum wire, bonsai scissors, concave cutters, soil, and plastic training pots. Interested in suggestions too!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Heck. you already have more in the way of tools than I have. My wife yells at me every time I borrow the kitchen sheers for trimming trees.

All in all, I'd suggest a $100 dollar pot, or maybe two $50 pots, that don't match any of the trees you have. Because there's no better excuse than, "but I have this pot already, dear, so what's one more tree?"

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The best $100 I ever spent in terms of advancing my abilities is $100 spent on working with a bonsai professional / master via a class or workshop.

Do not prioritize stock (trees) over skill. Good stock + no skill = dead trees. Good skill + bad stock = there is no such thing as bad stock if you have good skills :)

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Buy a ~$100 tree. Probably all your trees are lower class than that, as a beginner. Having one nice tree early on will perk you up on down days. It will be some time before you have trees are worthy of expensive pots, so put that off until your trees are worthy of such.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
All in all, I'd suggest a $100 dollar pot, or maybe two $50 pots, that don't match any of the trees you have. Because there's no better excuse than, "but I have this pot already, dear, so what's one more tree?"
There’s a strategy!!

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Buy a ~$100 tree. Probably all your trees are lower class than that, as a beginner. Having one nice tree early on will perk you up on down days. It will be some time before you have trees are worthy of expensive pots, so put that off until your trees are worthy of such.
This is true. My trees are just nursery stock that I experimented with after watching YouTube videos. I’ve considered some pre bonsai or Yamadori from eisei-en since it’s not too far from me and the same hardiness zone. I’m leaning towards some quality prebonsai that I can just take care of for some time until I get the hang of things or get some more hands on education. Thank you!

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The best $100 I ever spent in terms of advancing my abilities is $100 spent on working with a bonsai professional / master via a class or workshop.

Do not prioritize stock (trees) over skill. Good stock and no skill - dead trees. Good skill and bad stock - there is no such thing as bad stock if you have good skills :)
This is great advice!! I will definitely be taking a workshop as soon as one opens up in my area!!

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you live near Bjorn, thats a great place to start 😉
Well! It’s about 5 hours from me. But definitely not a bad weekend drive. Actually I had family that literally just moved away from cookeville TN which is like 30 minutes from Nashville! I figure if I get a tree from him it will already be acclimated to my zone and obviously well taken care of.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well! It’s about 5 hours from me. But definitely not a bad weekend drive. Actually I had family that literally just moved away from cookeville TN which is like 30 minutes from Nashville! I figure if I get a tree from him it will already be acclimated to my zone and obviously well taken care of.

Make a weekend trip out of it. Just make sure you leave room for trees in packing your vehicle.

Top Bottom