Whats Going on in Smoke's Backyard?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In 2017, the tree is finally ready for a show pot. I purchased this Japanese bag pot from Kora Dalager for this tree. In the photo's above one can see the large root on the lower left. I removed that large root because it was preventing me from getting the front orientation correct in the oval pot. It was never going to be in a good position even for a rectangle pot so it had to go.

The pro's, The removal of the root allowed me to get it into the pot.
The removal of the root allowed me to lift the tree in the pot for more trunk flare.

The con's, the removal of the root took away a substantial portion of the flare on that side.
The tree seems oddly shaped with that flare missing. Blunt!

View attachment 149275

View attachment 149276

The tree yesterday.

View attachment 149277

The tree today...hmmm....
View attachment 149278
Hey Smoke,
So jealous of your climate......but then again it gives me more time for "Te kil'ya" and the blues....lol.
Great work.
G

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You always tell a good story with your trees and show what you are doing.
Greatly admired!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, @Smoke someone directed me to your thread because I've been looking for a small cork bark elm. Would you be willing to sell me one? I would take great care of it! I've bought a couple of trees from forum members with great success! Thanks for considering!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reworked this bunjin juniper. Gold background was a couple weeks ago after refinishing the branches. The top just seemed too lush and I wanted the drop branch somehow connected to the composition. I thinned the top a lot and jinned most of the branching in the front of the crown. pulled down the second branch and connected the right side to look like a cascading waterfall. I also allowed some of the shari to peek around the trunk for a hint of connectivity there also, and a few places near the top also.

035a.JPG 036.JPG 037.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The right branches bother me. They're parallel, bowed, and all the foliage is below the branch instead of above it. I like the upper left branch foliage, and would like to see the right ones handled the same way. Maybe you need to dislocate that first right branch from the trunk at the top and pull it down a bit more severely. Great trunk and nice Shari.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The right branches bother me. They're parallel, bowed, and all the foliage is below the branch instead of above it. I like the upper left branch foliage, and would like to see the right ones handled the same way. Maybe you need to dislocate that first right branch from the trunk at the top and pull it down a bit more severely. Great trunk and nice Shari.
I actually screwed up here. I was not supposed to post this update on this tree yet. It is in the time capsule, and I am currently preparing it for the big reveal. The branches you see are not the final incarnation as I have just set the foundation for next year. Still a few more jins to do but will do those in the fall after a rest period. There is little green on it currently but it is a beast and will be ready for next year. Just have to wait now...in the words of this place....It will be Epic!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
oh and as an aside...that first branch has been dislocated at the time of the demonstration before I bought it. As it is, I have strained it to the point that any more pushing would probably rip it off. I just have to work with what I got and make the best of it. baby steps. In this shot you can see that branch is on the bottom left and the notch is visable. this was how I purchased it.
001.JPG

037.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Uh oh...massive screw up. Now I have to go out and check it. The drop branch is the second one up on the right. The left branch is now that big jin!

I'll be back......

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok got it.

I broke the branch. I put it back together and wired it. I looks like it is healed somewhat and the wire needs to come off as it is starting to cut in at the bottom. It still has the old cut pasted over the wound. Maybe in a year or so with the crack still wired and can get a better angle on it.

010.JPG

011.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @Smoke , thought this as good a place as any to ask.
Whilst reading, I read this page of your blog again:
https://bonsaial.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/cutting-down-for-shohin/
And then:
https://bonsaial.wordpress.com/?s=realville

Just curious how this Shohin is going this year, or is there an update coming soon?
Here is the tree tonight. 103 today and a little peek at soil temps, leaves look pretty good to me. Could it be this magic soil I'm using......triple digits for the last four weeks and triple digits for the next two.

a58.JPG
IMG_3103.JPG

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Al you have these under shade cloth, right? I've seen your setup, but do you lower screens in the front and back when it gets this stinking hot?

Top Bottom