Whats Going on in Smoke's Backyard?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the last two weekends its been bonsai. Either meetings, workshops or study groups. So, today I took my bride to the snow. She wanted to see some trees covered with snow. We drove as far as we could without chains since I don't have any for this car.
images (2).jpg IMG_0355.jpg securedownload.jpg

I'm sorry. I mashed the button on the wrong file.

Here ya go.

DSC_0003.JPG DSC_00021.JPG DSC_00041.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So...I get home all inspired and look whats up on the turntable to work on for the next several weeks...

Warmed up on the wire now, so time to get busy....bout 14 inches tall and 2 inch trunk.

DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0011.JPG

Maybe some shari?
DSC_00030003.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The time has come. The Jim Barett pot I had this tree in has done it's job. Planting the tree in the pot with no soil on the bottom and tying it in tight has made the trunk flare and rootage improve.

First I have to remove the squirrel guard! Oh Oh and the Christmas balls.
DSC_0060.JPG

The roots only grow on the bottom of the pot. It is here that they push against the wires and flare the trunk. Notice that the roots do not circle. It is just too tight for that.
DSC_0062.JPG

It is also very thin.
DSC_0063.JPG

Cut the donut off.
DSC_0064.JPG

Clean the top and were almost ready.
DSC_0068.JPG

The pile on the right is all the soil that was in the pot. There is some in the roots but not much.
DSC_0069.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The new pot is one inch shorter in length but one inch taller in height. Now I can get the tree seated into the pot at the proper height and expose more of the base of the tree. This soil blend has more 1/8 lava and more wood. Fine orchid bark about 3/8 in size. The finer soil will help with ramification now.

The pot is a Chinese cerulean blue bag pot. I like this color as in fall it should be really nice.

DSC_0070.JPG
I dumped this soil back in the mixer and re blended it as to what I called out above. This is the coarse soil.
DSC_0071.JPG

This is after blending it with finer texture.
DSC_0075.JPG

Watering the tree in.
DSC_0077.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remember those damn elm root cutting I did? The ones with the crazy exposed roots? Well they got pots today too.

DSC_01281.JPG DSC_01301.JPG DSC_01311.JPG DSC_01321.JPG

I don't know this one reminds me of when Ripley gets inside that suit in the movie Alien!
DSC_01331.JPG

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This elm got a pot too.

DSC_01291.JPG

A couple pines...
DSC_0123.JPG

DSC_01271.JPG

......and a couple privets. These need some work but I decided to put them into pots now because they :
One. Need to be slowed down
Two. The branching will be finer.

DSC_01241.JPG DSC_01251.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of the small stuff I potted yesterday was shohin/mame size stuff. I don't have a lot of room left for plants on the shohin arbor. Have to start thinking about what I can build in the yard for the second display of small trees. I see one hole to fill, but looks to be some room if I move a few things.
DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0016.JPG

Top Bottom