Wakaebisu #1

EricMack

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There are many nice Wakaebisu, I'm fortunate to be next in the long line to care for this one. I am also very fortunate JudyB has taken mercy on me, spending all kinds of time helping in my search to find a nice Satsuki to start with. Through her contacts, she found this, and before long it was on its way to me about 6 weeks ago. Its been in the US for a couple years, imported from Japan and unfortunately the importer had few details on the tree. Overall dimensions now are 14" tall, 28" Wide, with a 9" Nebari. I wish I knew its age, given its size its safe to say its older than me (and I'm in my 50's). Its acclimated well to its new enviro in Central Ohio, and is at almost peak bloom right now. It will be re-potted when the time is right, a nice old Yuuji unglazed pot which is a bit deeper is ready and waiting. I will update the thread when its wearing its new old pot. I obviously have had no part in bringing this nice tree into the shape its in today, but I will strive to keep it in great shape and enjoy learning from it. Everyone who has seen it so far has been amazed by its size and gorgeous blooms. Enough yapping.... here are some first pics:

IMG_E2377.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It looks so twisted, and it still has several relatively thin branches. Meaning they can all fatten up more and potentially be removed at some point, giving you options down the road. One has got to wonder how long it took to grow this, and no sacrifical branch scars visible.

EricMack

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks so twisted, and it still has several relatively thin branches. Meaning they can all fatten up more and potentially be removed at some point, giving you options down the road. One has got to wonder how long it took to grow this, and no sacrifical branch scars visible.
I'd really like to know how old it is. I read a post on here another 'nutter has had one for 40 years and the trunk is 2"... that would make the one I have a good bit older

EricMack

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Flowering is done for the year, time for a re-pot. I'm not a fan of the blue pot, wanted something non-glazed and deeper. Thankfully @JudyB was willing to guide the process as I've never re-potted a large, older Satsuki before....

Prune completed, lots of dead removed, didn't appear to have been pruned back hard in a few years:
First Prune June 2020.jpg

First Prune2 June 2020.jpg

Time to drop the pants: 😆
First Prune3 June 2020.jpg

With some careful trimming, it just fits in the new pot, a 50 year old Tokoname from the Yamaaki kiln:
First Prune4 June 2020.jpg

NZ Spag top layer:
First Prune5 June 2020.jpg

Happy old Wakaebisu in its new/old shoes, carefully pruned with more room for the roots below:
First Prune6 June 2020.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Flowering is done for the year, time for a re-pot. I'm not a fan of the blue pot, wanted something non-glazed and deeper. Thankfully @JudyB was willing to guide the process as I've never re-potted a large, older Satsuki before....

Prune completed, lots of dead removed, didn't appear to have been pruned back hard in a few years:
View attachment 311499

View attachment 311500

Time to drop the pants: 😆
View attachment 311501

With some careful trimming, it just fits in the new pot, a 50 year old Tokoname from the Yamaaki kiln:
View attachment 311502

NZ Spag top layer:
View attachment 311503

Happy old Wakaebisu in its new/old shoes, carefully pruned with more room for the roots below:
View attachment 311504
Would like to see a shot from the other side!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow! I’m glad I “stumbled” upon this... I notice that, even after “absorbing” the original images and reading all the posts, my mouth is STILL open...

Had to comment not only to “tag” my “HorseloverFat was here!” .. but MOSTLY to be kept “ in the loop” ;)

Whoops!.. drooled on my phone... mouth was still open.

😆😆

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I could be convinced that this is the front. The apex is certainly grown this direction, and the branching looks great from this side. Base is still good, even though the other side has better movement. I think the answer is to develop both sides! At least they are exactly opposite so you can look at either side with this potting. Some that have more than one good front are not opposite, then you have to do a round pot to work both sides...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice satsuki. You did well with it. I have a shohin-sized Shiro ebisu, which is a close relative of Waka ebisu.

FWIW, you don't only see this kind of quality in books. Trees like this are all that uncommon in the U.S. if you look around. There are several suppliers of quality satsuki imports in the U.S.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I could be convinced that this is the front. The apex is certainly grown this direction, and the branching looks great from this side. Base is still good, even though the other side has better movement. I think the answer is to develop both sides! At least they are exactly opposite so you can look at either side with this potting. Some that have more than one good front are not opposite, then you have to do a round pot to work both sides...
I agree. You see more of that amazing trunk from the back. Either way, it's still gorgeous!

Top Bottom