Wakaebisu #3

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked this up at the end of November 2017. Today it gets its first pruning. Thinking to remove the 2 low right branches to start a trunk line and ad-lib the rest as I go thru it.

IMG_0442.jpg IMG_0434.jpg

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a quick pick of my "chopped down to an almost nothin' " tree. Left 2 maybe 3 possible future trunk lines and some green below or near cuts to help with cambial flow, if that's the correct term.
IMG_0445.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like that you got it down to a single trunk.

It is a bit ''busy'', too many thick branch stubs in one little zone. Sometime, either now or in the next year or two, I would simplify to no more than 2 or 3 branches off the main trunk, all further or future branches will come from those remaining 2 or 3 branches. Which ones to keep?, I could not tell you from the one photo. You will have to choose, but the trunk to main branches region needs to be simplified. Either now, or at some point in the future.

All in all a nice find, and Waka Ebisu is a really nice, dependable Satsuki hybrid.

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a bit ''busy'', too many thick branch stubs in one little zone. Sometime, either now or in the next year or two, I would simplify to no more than 2 or 3 branches off the main trunk, all further or future branches will come from those remaining 2 or 3 branches. Which ones to keep?, I could not tell you from the one photo. You will have to choose, but the trunk to main branches region needs to be simplified. Either now, or at some point in the future.

I agree with the busy but didn't want to cause die back, me being cautious, since they all come from basically the same area. these are possible trunk lines i believe.
Yellow- maybe to far left
Green- good and leans forward a bit
Red- god but leans to the rear
White- will be cut flush next year or so
IMG_0471.jpg
IMG_0471A.jpg
The back and side view...good fronts...probably not
IMG_0472.jpg
IMG_0473.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You are right, you don't want to get in a situation where you have too many cuts to heal at one time, all in the same area. I usually have had no die back if I wound seal, but I did have die back from a flush cut on at least two trees, though for the majority (of 10 azalea) i've had no die back from flush cuts. Safest is leave a stub, cut it flush the following year. But you don't want the trunk to have too many wounds to heal all at once, especially if the wounds are close together. Take your time. It is good to let a new branch grow just above and just below a large wound. These will help keep sap flowing and help heal over the wound. Remove the branches when wound is well on its way to healing if the new branches don't fit in the design.

I would probably cut the upper of the 2 white marked flush cuts, and seal with cut paste and then wait a year or two for the wound to heal, then cut the lower white marked flush cut.

Top Bottom