Trying to decide what to do with this larch forest.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I bought this larch forest very cheap from a friend last fall. It has been a planting for 8-10 years and is starting to show some maturity in the trunks.

I find there are some flaws with it that bother me. There is not enough range between the trunk sizes (there are only three sizes of trunks but I think for a forest with this many trees there should be at least 4-5 sizes), there is a lack of harmony between the movement of the trunks, and of course the pot is atrocious.

Anyway, I am thinking of tearing the whole thing apart (might be difficult to separate them but possible) and using them as raw material. I think I could make a compact 5 trunk planting that uses the best trunks in there and will be better than the current image. As for the rest of the trunks, I'm sure I could find another 3-5 trunk planting in there using the B-grade trunks.

Thoughts?

MtLOu7I.jpg

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
While I see merit in making this into a smaller better forest, I also see a lot of potential to the group as it is. That is if you are prepared to work it for a number of years and also allow it to mature. Perhaps you could find a pot for it, and when you move it, you can shift the angles of the present planting a bit to allow for more harmony. That along with wiring and time....

I feel like the right hand grouping is very nice, the left hand side is what bothers my eye. I think also that the number 1 and number 2 tree being both straight, and in the same frontal plane are problematic. Put your finger to hide the #2 tree, and see what I mean? Sorta solves a lot of the problem for me.
Anyway, good pickup. Have fun with it, and post images of what you do, and when it pops!!!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Were it mine, I'd find a nicer, unglazed, smaller pot, and rearrange the trees with a bit more angle and depth. If you wanted to keep all the trees, I think a little creek in the middle would add some interest. I like your idea of making a 5 tree planting with the best trunks too, which would free up the others for more experimenting. I'm sure you'll make something good!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like Brian's idea of making a stream, or perhaps a gravel path through the landscape somewhere. This one at the Nat. Arb. is a favorite of mine.

Attachments

• National Arboretum show and Museum 026.jpg
    National Arboretum show and Museum 026.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 61

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like Brian's idea of making a stream, or perhaps a gravel path through the landscape somewhere. This one at the Nat. Arb. is a favorite of mine.
...and I can see why. :) Nice!

I think the OP already have a path...just got lost in time and need to be re-defined.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe the answer isn't to dismantle the whole thing, but try to straighten out some of the trunks. The biggest eyesore to me is where the trunks cross. Maybe just try to make it so they are in a position to see the trunk from bottom to top. See how that looks.

Depending on how long this has been together, maybe taking a few out of the composition. There are a couple of places where two trunks become one, maybe if one was gone those combined trinks wouldn't give the appearance of "another thick trunk."

If you dismantle the whole thing then you have either a load of options, or the world's biggest root knot to untie!!

The other idea, would be to take the 2nd biggest tree and jin the top third of it. Give it less visual mass than the main tree, and/or make the two farthest left trees lean more to the left. Like they had to grow out to get more light.

Finally, maybe shorten several of the trees to make the biggest one seem bigger.

It's always easy to tell someone else to do with their trees right!!! I'd love to see how it progresses!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd keep it as is, but use guy wires and spacers to arrange the trunks in a better position to one another. I think a few tweaks and it will look great. There's a lot of time that was invested in it to start thinking about dismantling it, etc.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks everyone for the input.

There is a 'path' going through it and it could easily be made into a stream, but I'm personally not a fan of that sort of image (yet).

I understand that taking it apart is a big decision and I am not taking it lightly. I want to respect the work that has already been done, but also want to make the best out of the material. The original owner recognized that the forest needed a renovation, but I'm not sure he was considering taking it apart.

Keep in mind this forest was assembled from "meh" larch saplings that were pulled up from a field. Age has allowed it to improve but the haphazard selection of the initial material is still evident - and always will be.

The trunks can only be straightened so much. They should be straight since the main trunks indicate a formal upright forest, but some of the natural kinks cannot be worked out.

Still thinking about it. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone for the input.

There is a 'path' going through it and it could easily be made into a stream, but I'm personally not a fan of that sort of image (yet).

I understand that taking it apart is a big decision and I am not taking it lightly. I want to respect the work that has already been done, but also want to make the best out of the material. The original owner recognized that the forest needed a renovation, but I'm not sure he was considering taking it apart.

Keep in mind this forest was assembled from "meh" larch saplings that were pulled up from a field. Age has allowed it to improve but the haphazard selection of the initial material is still evident - and always will be.

The trunks can only be straightened so much. They should be straight since the main trunks indicate a formal upright forest, but some of the natural kinks cannot be worked out.

Still thinking about it. I will keep you posted.

I'm not a big fan of literal things in forests. I've seen people literally put a path or literally put a stream. Japanese design is more about the person looking at it imagining it, rather than it actually being there. Moss covered rocks that give the impression that a stream bed was there 200 years ago would be better.

That's all my opinion. Not posted for argument, just my interpretation of Japanese garden design.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Decided I probably won't have the time to do anything drastic to this tree this year.

I did some light work on it so it is a bit more presentable. Some trunks were redirected, branches removed, and the whole thing thinned. Most of the branches were cut back quite hard because the basic structure still needs work. It looks sparse but should pay off.

Despite its faults it is starting to grow on me. Still needs a pot, though.

rHG6vRU.jpg

Top Bottom