Toyo Nishiki Survivor

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very nice tree, I'd love to see it in full bloom.

It seems to be in a metal colander: I assumed that summer was very hot in Dallas, and thought that metal in the sun would become as hot as hell!

Well, it goes to show that when people know their environment, they know how to make a chaenomeles healthy in the most unlikely place ;)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice tree, I'd love to see it in full bloom.

It seems to be in a metal colander: I assumed that summer was very hot in Dallas, and thought that metal in the sun would become as hot as hell!

Well, it goes to show that when people know their environment, they know how to make a chaenomeles healthy in the most unlikely place ;)

We had some hot days, and I did move it to get some partial sun part of those days that I couldn't water as frequently as I'd like. Most of the time, it did remain in full sun as @fredtruck recommended to me in conversations. I'm hoping for lots of blooms this year.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work T. I like what you've down with this tree. I love clump style deciduous and conifer bonsai all the same!

Is always good to think ahead and try and have a plan of attack. Based on your 5 year projection virt, I did a quick one to show you to try and not "pull" your apex so far up. Go shorter and end up with a more compact and powerful design.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 10.31.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 10.31.55 PM.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 105

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work T. I like what you've down with this tree. I love clump style deciduous and conifer bonsai all the same!

Is always good to think ahead and try and have a plan of attack. Based on your 5 year projection virt, I did a quick one to show you to try and not "pull" your apex so far up. Go shorter and end up with a more compact and powerful design.
Thank you, Sergio! In spirit I'm student of you and others on the forum, so I'm happy to grow and shape a pleasing tree.

I've played with the idea of a compact tree like in your virt. What do you think if I included some negative space in the design? Would that be ok with a deciduous bonsai grown for its flowers? I may try to show you what I mean with a virt tomorrow sans the flowers.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you, Sergio! In spirit I'm student of you and others on the forum, so I'm happy to grow and shape a pleasing tree.

I've played with the idea of a compact tree like in your virt. What do you think if I included some negative space in the design? Would that be ok with a deciduous bonsai grown for its flowers? I may try to show you what I mean with a virt tomorrow sans the flowers.

Yes sure you can open it up to create larger spaces in strategic areas. ;)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
These are some other virts that I quickly drafted. I do these in Window Paint What do you think? I tried not to pull the crown branches up so much.
Next.jpg
The previous draft I made for 5 years later, which after look over I'm convinced you're right about.
Virt Edit DSC09699.jpg
@MACH5

I've played with the idea that years and years later as I expose more of the trunk/roots I'll allow some trunks to come up further away from the main clump of trunks. I've had to fight off and remove some already. I just didn't want it to get too congested. Some suckers keep coming back even just after a short while of being removed.

@just.wing.it: Thanks! It's going faster than I expected. I kept thinking that I started this 4 years ago, but the dates don't lie. :)

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
These are some other virts that I quickly drafted. I do these in Window Paint What do you think? I tried not to pull the crown branches up so much.
View attachment 127443
The previous draft I made for 5 years later, which after look over I'm convinced you're right about.
View attachment 127445
@MACH5

I've played with the idea that years and years later as I expose more of the trunk/roots I'll allow some trunks to come up further away from the main clump of trunks. I've had to fight off and remove some already. I just didn't want it to get too congested. Some suckers keep coming back even just after a short while of being removed.

@just.wing.it: Thanks! It's going faster than I expected. I kept thinking that I started this 4 years ago, but the dates don't lie. :)

Looks good T! The design already looks more powerful. ;)

Top Bottom