Toyo Nishiki Quince Semi-Cascade

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I received this quince as a root cutting from Evergreengardenworks maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Its been somewhat neglected the last year, leaves got burnt a few times and such. So today I gave it a much needed repot to prepare it for the future design. Its a hefty single trunk for the species, but will need to be cut back next spring. It has flowered every year since it was rooted. I have never had red flowers on any of my toyo though.

I went back and forth between an upright style and a windswept or semi cascade design, and decided on the semi cascade. This is why those roots are exposed. Im going to add a container around them so they can grow larger before exposing.

Not very experienced with fall repotting, but this one is in full gear growing roots now, so I thought it would be a good time. Forgot to check the moon phase beforehand @sorce ...wanning gibbous tonight

20201003_171925.jpg20201003_171935.jpg20201003_171941.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Looks good. I would have potted deeper, yes, tilted the tree for preparation for cascade or for windswept, but I would have planted it a litter deeper as to not expose the fine roots.

Actually that clump of 3 branches with roots at their bases could have been removed, roots and all and potted separately. You don't really need that cluster of 3 small branches in a cascade or windswept design.

But you've done the repot. It will be fine as is.

This does have good potential to be developed as a semi-cascade or as a windswept . I'd probably go with the semi-cascade.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you kept the current front, the lowest thick branch of the cluster of 3 would be the branch to become your casading branch. The middle branch is "too thick" and the most upright, I would probably remove that one. But it is up to you. If you rotated it around to the cascade going to the right you might want to change which you keep and which you loose. I like it as is with the tree moving to the left.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the input @Leo in N E Illinois

I have noticed the same problems. As you said, the first problem is the tree presents three branches of near equal caliper. I have not made any decisions as far as resolving this issue, want to take some time to stare at it but ill consider the advice. When allowed, I hope to actually take it to a workshop.

It did not even occur to me to remove and root the suckers on the right, but they will be cut. Ironic as this one started as a root cutting in the same way.

The tree was potted high on purpose. I've made a mesh insert filled with soil around those roots, and over the next year or two ill slowly remove it as you would with an exposed root bonsai. This suits the semi cascade image I'm going for, I believe.

Come spring I will be able to cut this one back to get a clearer idea of a design

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's a pretty good size trunk you got there. It got that size in only 3-4 yrs?

I did some air layers of Toyo nishiki this year. They are hard wood that bloomed last year so i'm hoping i'll get blooms on them after being separated from the mother plant this upcoming season.

Has it produced any red flowers other than the pink and white?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's a pretty good size trunk you got there. It got that size in only 3-4 yrs?

I did some air layers of Toyo nishiki this year. They are hard wood that bloomed last year so i'm hoping i'll get blooms on them after being separated from the mother plant this upcoming season.

Has it produced any red flowers other than the pink and white?
It was a good size root cutting when I got it, maybe 1/2"-3/4"? Cutting was taken at a 45 angle too. Been in the pot you see for 2 years, before a smaller 6" plastic pot. I have no idea why this one trunked up so much, my others have not seen nearly the same growth. In the grow beds I do get better results though after they establish for a year or so.

Nice, feel free to post the airlayers here or tag me in the post. I bet you'll get some flowers

I get solid white, solid pink, half pink/white, white with pink spots flowers on all of my toyo but none have grown a red flower branch. I have maybe 5 toyo total; 3 in grow beds and 2 in pots

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's what mines looks like with flowers this this year.

Toyo Nishiki Quince bonsai.jpg

Here's what it looks like now after the air layers removed.

thumbnail_20201030_140601.jpgthumbnail_20201030_140606.jpg

Here are the air layers I did this year, total of 6 Toyo nishiki. I still have one attached to the plant it now has enough roots to separate, but not sure if it will make it through winter now if I separate it. The ones already potted up should have no problems through winter as the roots are already escaping the pot into the dirt below.

thumbnail_20200722_113510.jpgthumbnail_20200722_113514.jpgthumbnail_20201030_141234.jpgToyo Nishiki Quince air layerings.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A couple of the Toyo's look like they are setting buds now. Still a bit to early to say if they will bloom. I do have some Cameo's, and they are loaded with buds right now. So they should be showy when they bloom......I kind of like their flowers more as the are doubles.

Top Bottom