Tokonoma refinement in progress

I tried this morning and this evening to post pictures. No luck.

Here are the two new photos Dick shared on the IBC today.

Attachments

• Dick's tokonoma .jpg
    Dick's tokonoma .jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Dick's tokonoma 2.jpg
    Dick's tokonoma 2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 26
Dick I'm so sorry you're having such a problem posting photos here.
Thanks Bill for those photos, what a beautiful space you have built for yourself. It must bring you such joy.

Thanks Bill for furthur insight into your lovely display area. I took a page from your notebook
and added a maroon floor on the display floor and trimmed up the top of the bamboo so it's even with the boards.

miraculously, both photos took immediately so here is the inspiration.

Thanks to the bonsaimeister for posting my photos that I couldn't get to take :)

and to the others who so kindly shared their thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2871.JPG
    IMG_2871.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 16
Here's what we finally ended up with :)

Attachments

• IMG_2874.JPG
    IMG_2874.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 24
I think once the green of the bamboo mellows it'll be sweet. I still like the idea of wrapping some jute around it even if you do just stay with one bamboo stick, don't know why....
But I like the maroon flooring.

I tried this morning and this evening to post pictures. No luck.

I dont know if its common knowledge or not but I recently was having issues posting pics on this site from my new computer. I had microsoft on the chat line thinking it was the comuter, and ended up finding out this site works best WITHOUT internet explorer. I have since had no issues posting pics with Mozilla's Fiefox browser. The picture quality...thats another story.....

Just in case that might be your issue..

Thanks

Ernie

Thanks ernie....

here's a picture of a anticipatory spring display.
Craines getting ready to nest in anticipation of spring.
flowers and early butterflies present.

What bonsai do you see as completing the scene.

don't like the craines or scroll? suggestions. ( c'mon let's have some fun :) )

Attachments

• IMG_2875.JPG
    IMG_2875.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2876.JPG
    IMG_2876.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_2877.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 10
Crabapple! or apple... Love the cranes... the tree will have to be strong to compete with that scroll...

A flowering crab would be nice. I just go a small chuhin sized one that i dug and reotted. But if i had a nice sized one inflower, what could be changed on the scroll to avoid duplication in flowers. Thinking maybe a bee?

There's an artist in the UK, Paul Goff (former rock and roller) that makes scrolls for bonsai display. His bee's are the best! he's also got a new book out on display that I'm trying to figure out how to get him the money for. I went to my bank and they wanted the cost of the book just to wire the money :(

Nice job. I have one quibble though--Lose the scroll weights if possible. If the scroll curls up without them, it will relax over a few days by itself.

They're too "Kung Fu," nunchuck, Bruce Lee for this understated display area, IMO. ;)

hopefully that looks better :)

Attachments

• IMG_2881.JPG
    IMG_2881.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 21
Very nice.

Any reason for separating the cranes from the main display?

The display area is a little short of a tatami mat length and appears really crowded with scroll
and tree. So I converted a nearby china hutch of my wife's to use as an extended display area
like you would see in japan. I really needed that extra space. I used to sit on the floor in front of the toko, but have since moved chairs to the opposite side of the room, more comfortable and it allows me to use the new shelf as part of the overall display.

I had hopes of my bonsai club members and suiseki club coming over to visit and enjoy with tea, but that hasn't happened. (least not yet)

I do have a sweet little table top alcove (seki-tabletop) in my library that i can get my shohin sized trees into along with tenpai/kusaamono and scroll. I think you would probably like that better. I'll have to get enthused about posting some pics of it here shortly, if for nothing else to see who else besides yourself enjoys it. :)

Here's a picture of the seki display.
Kites in the scroll give a sense of time with the winds of spring. The male mallard duck sits on the water's edge while his mate is laying eggs. The suiseki is a cave stone that hides the new born who hide within. The quince has a showy tribute that balances earth with the showy red kites of the sky. :)

hopefully that is better suited to your tastes. If you come over for tea, we'll be sure to welcome you to the room with the seki in it.

Attachments

• IMG_2882.JPG
    IMG_2882.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom