Time of day to seperate a rooted air layer?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Do you have any pics of the roots when you collected it?

Any pics after collection?

Have ALL the leaves fell or just some?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions it will just help us give the most accurate answer

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are doing it "correctly", for bonsai, separation should take all of 30 seconds and "aftercare" should be of no mind.

Priorcare is more important than aftercare. Aftercare is a myth when enough preventative practices are put into place.

If you follow the "one major insult a season" rule....this method does save you a season.

Sorce

Demonology

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
EG4
Do you have any pics of the roots when you collected it?

Any pics after collection?

Have ALL the leaves fell or just some?

Sorry to answer your question with more questions it will just help us give the most accurate answer
No no, I didn't proved enough info.
So, when I first potted the tree it was fine for 3 days I think, then the next few days started losing leaves. The only odd then is that most of the leaves are either old[the ones that are below the branches and the large ones]. But the rest are still holding on just fine, only that they are'nt reacting to light meaning leaves aren't tilting towards the light source.

Attachments

• roots.jpeg
    roots.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 11
  • after potting.jpeg
    after potting.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 12

Demonology

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
EG4
If you are doing it "correctly", for bonsai, separation should take all of 30 seconds and "aftercare" should be of no mind.

Priorcare is more important than aftercare. Aftercare is a myth when enough preventative practices are put into place.

If you follow the "one major insult a season" rule....this method does save you a season.

Sorce
I've thought of every possible reason that would cause the leaves to fall and the only two reasons I concluded are roots suffering from the substrate being too wet for too long cause there aren't any roots yet in the added medium, the weather isn't humid enough. Since Egypt rn is going through the 40s and at night goes just below 30 degrees celsius.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
I would guess there just weren't enough roots to support all of the foliage, still seems to have plenty of leaves and its a ficus so I think, given good care it will survive.

definitely keep it out of direct sunlight until it is visibly much stronger,

Maybe mist it of a morning and keep it watered, but at the same time be sure not to over water the soil, (only water when it needs it).

For perspective (not a ficus) but I have had my recently collected air layer in the shade with misting because our daytime temps were close to 30c soon after I collected it!

I have been to egypt but don't know enough about your climate for a full year, perhaps if there is a cooler time of year would be better to harvest layers then, perhaps the original roots would have sustained the leaves better but only experimenting in your climate will give answers,

Best of luck!

Demonology

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
EG4
I would guess there just weren't enough roots to support all of the foliage, still seems to have plenty of leaves and its a ficus so I think, given good care it will survive.

definitely keep it out of direct sunlight until it is visibly much stronger,

Maybe mist it of a morning and keep it watered, but at the same time be sure not to over water the soil, (only water when it needs it).

For perspective (not a ficus) but I have had my recently collected air layer in the shade with misting because our daytime temps were close to 30c soon after I collected it!

I have been to egypt but don't know enough about your climate for a full year, perhaps if there is a cooler time of year would be better to harvest layers then, perhaps the original roots would have sustained the leaves better but only experimenting in your climate will give answers,

Best of luck!
Thanks for the feedback. I really hope so.

It's always dry in summer no rain nor humid [Cairo] only rains in winter, and in spring it's extremely hot ironically. Never exceeds 0c in winter also in Cairo specifically.

happy to know you've been to Egypt in the past. There are basically no bonsai communities here, heck its hard to find any supplies, can't find guy wire, pots especially soil only perlite and vermiculite as an airy medium lol.

Demonology

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
EG4
Update, so the Ficus started recovering and producing new leaves. But all came crashing down a few days after, the new leaves started to brown at the petoile. The new leaves didn't even harden off yet; the old ones started dropping too.
What's happening?
I've tried leaving the soil on the dry and wet sides, which didn't help at all.
I just think the tree hates life at this point :[

Attachments

• petiole.jpeg
    petiole.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 5
  • tree.jpeg
    tree.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 5

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I cut my layers any time I know I have 15 minutes of free time. Proper after care and no problem. Especially in fall or spring.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Update, so the Ficus started recovering and producing new leaves. But all came crashing down a few days after, the new leaves started to brown at the petoile. The new leaves didn't even harden off yet; the old ones started dropping too.
What's happening?
I've tried leaving the soil on the dry and wet sides, which didn't help at all.
I just think the tree hates life at this point :[
Ficus like heat and humidity. Are you keeping it indoors in A/C?

Make sure you are giving it enough water. In the summer when my trees are growing, I can water my ficus twice per day and they will take up all the water - leaving only slightly moist soil behind. You can let a ficus dry out a little if you have a dry season and the tree goes dormant for a few months. But otherwise - it should be soaking up water like crazy.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No no, I didn't proved enough info.
So, when I first potted the tree it was fine for 3 days I think, then the next few days started losing leaves. The only odd then is that most of the leaves are either old[the ones that are below the branches and the large ones]. But the rest are still holding on just fine, only that they are'nt reacting to light meaning leaves aren't tilting towards the light source.
I know little about ficus, but I will just tell you our experience. My wife took her ficus out of the pot to adjust the soil and slipped it back in the same pot. Shortly after it dropped all its leaves. It then leafed out again and was soon back to what it was before. It just seems ficus can drop leaves over a trivial disturbance and will recover.

Top Bottom