How to treat rooted cuttings (p. Afra and others)

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I took a small cutting a few weeks back and now it’s starting to show some roots.

Do I put it in a bigger pot and let it grow (nurse?) or straight to the bonsai pot?

See pictures, is there a “normal” way of doing it or is it different for all species and kinds?

Thank you :)

IMG_2749.jpeg
IMG_2750.jpeg

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Put it in a pot. It’ll take off in the sun. I get roots 100% of the time with them in pretty much any medium.

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Put it in a pot. It’ll take off in the sun. I get roots 100% of the time with them in pretty much any medium.
Maybe I was a bit vague in my question: when it’s showing more roots - should I pot it in a bigger flower pot or straight into the bonsai pot in the picture? :)

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is your intent?

I’m not entirely sure yet. Either just a small bonsai tree or I’ve had some thoughts to make a “bonsai over ruined temple” which I think this is a fair candidate for :)

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The pot in the photo is big enough for your little cutting right now, so use it. The cutting will need to be a lot larger before it becomes a bonsai, so you will need larger pots later on.

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The pot in the photo is big enough for your little cutting right now, so use it. The cutting will need to be a lot larger before it becomes a bonsai, so you will need larger pots later on.
Ok, that's good.
I basically just wondered what the common praxis is with cuttings - do most people put them in a bigger pot with organic potting soil to encourage quicker growth or do people put them in bonsai soil in small bonsai pots straight away?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Small pots are for bonsai that are in "refinement" when you don't need quick growth and a thicker trunk. Use fast draining bonsai soil (or something similar) for your cutting. Portulacaria do not like to be wet at any stage of their lives.

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Small pots are for bonsai that are in "refinement" when you don't need quick growth and a thicker trunk. Use fast draining bonsai soil (or something similar) for your cutting. Portulacaria do not like to be wet at any stage of their lives.
Ok so if I’m looking to do a p. Afra over temple (same as rock but a ruined temple) would it maybe be better to have it in a flower pot to allow for more trunk thickening?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, when it outgrows this pot. A deeper pot helps because it encourages longer roots for the root-over-temple project. Portulacaria does not have especially robust roots, so do some research on ROR with this species.

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, when it outgrows this pot. A deeper pot helps because it encourages longer roots for the root-over-temple project. Portulacaria does not have especially robust roots, so do some research on ROR with this species.
Great, thank you!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Yeah, I was about to ask. Is this a good species for root over ruins? It's a succulent, not a woody tree, and the roots are a little different because of that.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Small plants with limited roots sometimes do not do well in very large pots - too much space for the roots. Much better to use reasonable sized pots to start and move up as the roots fill the soil in each pot.
Definitely deeper pots to encourage longer roots when planning root over anything.
Even if you do not go through with root over, deeper pots will allow more root growth and more rapid thickening. Roots can always be chopped back if you decide to go for bonsai in a smaller pot.
You will need to take care when transplanting to soil. New roots are quite brittle and break easily. Roots in water are even more tender. Do not be surprised if they go backwards a bit after transplant to soil mix. It takes time for plants to adapt to change. Cuttings rooted in potting mix seem to get over transplant quicker.

Aphystic

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Small plants with limited roots sometimes do not do well in very large pots - too much space for the roots. Much better to use reasonable sized pots to start and move up as the roots fill the soil in each pot.
Definitely deeper pots to encourage longer roots when planning root over anything.
Even if you do not go through with root over, deeper pots will allow more root growth and more rapid thickening. Roots can always be chopped back if you decide to go for bonsai in a smaller pot.
You will need to take care when transplanting to soil. New roots are quite brittle and break easily. Roots in water are even more tender. Do not be surprised if they go backwards a bit after transplant to soil mix. It takes time for plants to adapt to change. Cuttings rooted in potting mix seem to get over transplant quicker.
That’s probably true, my forthcoming cuttings from my p afra will be in soil directly.

Ok but then I’ll this one cutting in my small pot.
Can I do akadama and pumice or will I need organic matter? Maybe add in perlite and potting soil?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then I’ll do a mix of akadama and pumice.

Am I in need for an ever smaller pot for this cutting?
I assume you want to grow this out. Sofor the time being, no. Just plant it and let it grow.

Top Bottom