Time of day to seperate a rooted air layer?

bpancakes

Seedling
Reaction score
Apologies if I missed this anywhere else.. I've been looking all over and cant find this and Googling just gives me time of year not time of day. I'm looking to seperate some rooted acer circinatum, it's been 3 months. I figure I should wait for some cool weather. I could even wait longer if that is necessary, these are my first tries. My main question was is it better to separate the air layer in the morning or evening? I transplant veggies a lot in the evening so I couldnt decide. 20230731_141807.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I tend to separate a lot of my layers in the evening. Mainly because it’s the time I have to do repotting and such because it’s not so dang hot. The most important factor is after care. I keep mine in dappled shade for a week or three and keep the soil moist. Even with us being in the middle of July in the Carolinas, I still have almost 100% survival rate.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Welcome! And congratulations on your first air layer :)

honestly it doesn't really matter, but some people prefer to take cuttings in the evening. Your layer now has its own roots so can take its own water and nutrients and isn't relying on stored sugars the same as a traditional cutting.

One thing a lot of people underestimate though is how fragile the new layer roots are, try not to disturb them at all until next repot if possible and make sure you have the layer well secured in its new pot.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Moonrise and moonset are times when the upper limb of the Moon appears above the horizon and disappears below it, respectively. The exact times depend on the lunar phase and declination, as well as the observer's location. As viewed from outside the polar circles, the Moon, like all other celestial objects outside the circumpolar circle, rises from the eastern half of the horizon and sets into the western half due to Earth's rotation.

It depends😉

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two thoughts here...

If you cannot protect it against the heat of the day, and it is hot, there MIGHT be a slight benefit in late day separation, so the tree has a few hours. Which is very little in term of re-establishing.

If you CAN protect, separating in the early morning might mean a better hydration state which can be usefull for the first days (similar like you might want to have preference for taking cuttings before hot weather rather than at the peak of heat)

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Moonrise and moonset are times when the upper limb of the Moon appears above the horizon and disappears below it, respectively. The exact times depend on the lunar phase and declination, as well as the observer's location. As viewed from outside the polar circles, the Moon, like all other celestial objects outside the circumpolar circle, rises from the eastern half of the horizon and sets into the western half due to Earth's rotation.

It depends😉
The rules for air layers in Narnia aren’t relevant to the OP’s question because they’re on earth, not in a magical land where landscape nurseries sell show-ready hornbeam bonsai for 70 British pounds. On earth, the position of the moon has nothing to do with harvesting air layers.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The rules for air layers in Narnia aren’t relevant to the OP’s question because they’re on earth, not in a magical land where landscape nurseries sell show-ready hornbeam bonsai for 70 British pounds. On earth, the position of the moon has nothing to do with harvesting air layers.
LOL but it does, if adjusted for high tide.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
this depend on the exchange rate between Narnian Lions and Great British Pounds, the pound has dropped in value recently and maybe show ready hornbeams are available for £70 GBP only restriction is that they have to fit through a wardrobe or we cant get them home.

regarding the moons location and air layers it can be hard to separate a layer if the moon is here as shown in the picture

1690892678901.png

So i guess it depends

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
AI failed miserably on this question.
That means that we need to discuss the heck out of this topic until AI finds the topic in its search. We all know that AI searches here for all things bonsai and plants.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
According to the planting by the moon phase people, things that focus on the roots should be planted in waning moon phase. August 1st,2023 is full moon so if you want to be deep in the waning phase, do it about a week from now. That and you may want to wait until near moon set time to separate the layer and plant it.
Of course you will have to follow all the after care instructions yadayadayada...
:) :) :) :) :) :)

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
this depend on the exchange rate between Narnian Lions and Great British Pounds, the pound has dropped in value recently and maybe show ready hornbeams are available for £70 GBP only restriction is that they have to fit through a wardrobe or we cant get them home.

regarding the moons location and air layers it can be hard to separate a layer if the moon is here as shown in the picture

View attachment 500783

So i guess it depends
You left out a very important factor: The Ukraine war.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Whenever I know I have a few hours to myself. Potting up air-layers can take longer than planned.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Whenever I know I have a few hours to myself. Potting up air-layers can take longer than planned.
Yes it can be a delicate process trying to preserve the fresh new roots, especially if they havnt hardened off properly yet.

bpancakes

Seedling
Reaction score
Two thoughts here...

If you cannot protect it against the heat of the day, and it is hot, there MIGHT be a slight benefit in late day separation, so the tree has a few hours. Which is very little in term of re-establishing.

If you CAN protect, separating in the early morning might mean a better hydration state which can be usefull for the first days (similar like you might want to have preference for taking cuttings before hot weather rather than at the peak of heat)
Great tips thanks

It depends😉
This helped a lot too!

Here is a rough pic of it day of cutting a week ago, still looking good!! Thanks for all the help everyone. The other 2 look happy as well. Woodpeckers put a bunch of holes in my plastic for air and drainage, big ups to the birds

Attachments

• 20230817_103939.jpg
    20230817_103939.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 9

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great tips thanks

This helped a lot too!

Here is a rough pic of it day of cutting a week ago, still looking good!! Thanks for all the help everyone. The other 2 look happy as well. Woodpeckers put a bunch of holes in my plastic for air and drainage, big ups to the birds
The post was in jest, I separate anytime I want to or have the time. Can always put it in shade after if need be.

Demonology

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
EG4
Hi, am new here and I just wanted to ask for help with my few days old Ficus air layer. So it rooted well and everything didn't leave the roots to dry but after few days of potting the tree leaves started falling. Also, I don't leave it in direct sunlight. What might've happened will it die or is it just a dip in its recovery from the harvest?
P.S. It's hot this month in Egypt, during the day light stays around 42 Celsius.

Top Bottom