Can winter dormant cuttings of Cornus Florida and Cornus Kousa be rooted successfully or o ly spring or summer cuttings?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Wondering if using the viagrow 24 cloner with humidity dome and light would I be able take semi or hard wood cuttings and root them indoors (from dormant winter wood cuttings taken) ik red twig and yellow twig ((another species of dogwood/cornus) can be so wasnt sure with the 2 listed species above))

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As far as I know, the tree dogwoods are hard to propagate from cuttings at any time. They're different from the redtwig dogwoods in this way. Maybe another reason Cornus has actually been separated into separate genera recently (Benthamidia for most trees and Swida for the shrubs), but I bet everyone is going to keep saying Cornus.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
As far as I know, the tree dogwoods are hard to propagate from cuttings at any time. They're different from the redtwig dogwoods in this way. Maybe another reason Cornus has actually been separated into separate genera recently (Benthamidia for most trees and Swida for the shrubs), but I bet everyone is going to keep saying Cornus.
Indeed. Would grafting be best bet to reproduce ones with variegated foliage , though ik grafting can at times leave issues with graft unions. Ty heads up I hadn't seen the name change though ik many plants do often at times. Wishing you good day ik weather if frigid atm in Indiana.

Top Bottom