Think before you cut it off

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Bobby, I've seen this video before and added to my fav since I have a Shin Deshojo with similar shape and I've been struggling to come up with a design for it but this video is giving me some great ideas.

IMG_6590.jpegIMG_6588.jpeg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Bobby, I've seen this video before and added to my fav since I have a Shin Deshojo with similar shape and I've been struggling to come up with a design for it but this video is giving me some great ideas.

View attachment 522533View attachment 522534
When you have that type of material you should look to what the pros are doing. What would 'they' do with it. 100% Walter or Ryan works with whats available and youll see it in their trees.

Regarding the video. Ryan is always dishing up gems, if youre serious about bonsai one should listen to this guy.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
We dont need to copy everything the pros do though, for example, im still a little baffled as to why Ryan crunched up/flattened all the branches in the crown of this tree, rather than having the apical shoots rise up:)
btw in case you were wondering, the tree he's referring to that he took some inspo from isnt an Elm, its this Oak, the Majesty Oak
note the rising branches all the way up into the crown....tbf there are a few saggy ones up there due to weight. The tree displays the asymmetry he's talking about. Left rising branch, low sagging right branch....

E_OPKvVXsAEIdoO.jpg

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
When you have that type of material you should look to what the pros are doing. What would 'they' do with it. 100% Walter or Ryan works with whats available and youll see it in their trees.

Regarding the video. Ryan is always dishing up gems, if youre serious about bonsai one should listen to this guy.
Could not agree more with this! I have always taken advice as free information that someone else has learned. Don't always have to use it, but it is great to have as a reference...

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After that title, I was really hoping to watch Ryan make a cut on the stream and immediately regret it...

Two thoughts on the flat upper branches:
- I wonder if Ryan intends to cut back to smaller, more vertical growth in the future
- Maybe it's to force the perspective of a high canopy? When you're standing at the base of a large tree looking up into the canopy, you don't see the branches extending vertically. Presumably the tree would be displayed so the middle of the trunk is closer to eye level, so the framing of this live stream isn't the same way we'd be viewing it

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Sometimes I think too much and become paralyzed. also have cut some branches I regret because a day later I found inspiration that I could have used said branch like.

“Cutters remorse” 😭

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
After that title, I was really hoping to watch Ryan make a cut on the stream and immediately regret it...

Two thoughts on the flat upper branches:
- I wonder if Ryan intends to cut back to smaller, more vertical growth in the future
- Maybe it's to force the perspective of a high canopy? When you're standing at the base of a large tree looking up into the canopy, you don't see the branches extending vertically. Presumably the tree would be displayed so the middle of the trunk is closer to eye level, so the framing of this live stream isn't the same way we'd be viewing it
I think its just his way of compacting the crown and tieing everything together. To force the perpective of a high canopy, towering down on you, you'd definitely want to go with an ascending branch structure. Just like Oak I posted above. You clearly get the feeling the tree is towering over you and its limbs are about to engulf you.
He's going with more of a low and wide, compacted canopy here.

Another example of high canopy, ascending branches, towering over you. This excudes power, majesty, respect.
Major_Oak_(9494).jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Ive been there too, in my earlier years ive let what others thought influence some of my decisions.
I think we've all been there. Now...I might chew it over if I feel it has merit. End of the day. I'll always go with my own direction. It may...be persuaded here and there. But it will always be a solid in my mind where I want to go.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In a workshop I did a couple of years back one of the participants had a beech that was a wonderful piece of yamadori. He proceeded to cut everything off despite my best efforts to convince him otherwise taking away everything that was unique and wonderful about it. He wanted to remake all the branches from scratch. I can only guess what that tree will become? Another standardized, run of the mill, right branch, left branch, back branch boring tree. You can lead a horse to water but you sure can't make him drink it!

Sadly I see this a lot!

Top Bottom