Things we love about bonsai people

Mad Tabby

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
Mine is the lack of giving up. My brother is in the PNW, and between the rats & squirrels, in constant war to save his trees. I don’t think he’s had a tree make it to the 10 year mark before something got it. But he just goes & finds more plants. I think he likes the search most of all.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love that the overwhelming majority have been happy to help with advice or suggestions. I try not to ask dumb questions but occasionally do and people here and at my local club have been patient and friendly.
There are no dumb questions!
Only dumb people.😐

And also the people with dumb answers.🤷

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love the generosity of most bonsai folks. Can't tell you how many plants I've been gifted over the years by club members.
I agree. I have traded trees with tons of people over the years - or simply given trees to people because I thought it would make them happy.

Without naming names, in the last couple of weeks someone sent me an Acer P 'Beni chidori' - just because they were an awesome person.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Over on the evil twin to this thread there's talk about the difference between learning a thing and becoming proficient at it after years of practice.

Now that I think about it, bonsai people want to do EVERYTHING.
I mean we're actually all a bunch of malcontents, in a good way. I don't like that branch; I'm going to try a new insane wiring technique. I can't find the perfect pot for this tree; I'm going to learn pottery. Deadwood; I'm a wood carver now. Display; I'm a carpenter now. Accents; looks like I'm a geologist today. Soil; oops, still a geologist. Ferts; chemist. Why won't my tree grow here? Perhaps I should become a geographer, or maybe a cosmologist. Oh, hey, I just became a photographer!

There's the old adage that, in its entirety, reads: Jack of all trades, master of none; but better than a master of one.
I have just now realized that THIS is what that actually means. Bonsai folks, in order to become a master of the practice, MUST be Jacks of all related trades. The learning never stops, and we're all happiest because of it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Over on the evil twin to this thread there's talk about the difference between learning a thing and becoming proficient at it after years of practice.

I mean we're actually all a bunch of malcontents, in a good way. I don't like that branch; I'm going to try a new insane wiring technique. I can't find the perfect pot for this tree; I'm going to learn pottery. Deadwood; I'm a wood carver now. Display; I'm a carpenter now. Accents; looks like I'm a geologist today. Soil; oops, still a geologist. Ferts; chemist. Why won't my tree grow here? Perhaps I should become a geographer, or maybe a cosmologist. Oh, hey, I just became a photographer!

There's the old adage that, in its entirety, reads: Jack of all trades, master of none; but better than a master of one.
I have just now realized that THIS is what that actually means. Bonsai folks, in order to become a master of the practice, MUST be Jacks of all related trades. The learning never stops, and we're all happiest because of it.
My favorite roles are swamp thing and Dr. Frankenstein.
PS: I am going to miss the swamp in the future. Being able to take long lunch in the swamp is a thing for me. As for maiming trees to make them grow in the shape I want, I am working diligently to hone that skill.

Mad Tabby

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a

HEY! I resemble this remark! And yes I’m waiting for the local pottery place to start their next beginners classes (probably the fall) I’m also looking into concrete casting. And I picked up a Skulpty kit to make decorations.

On top of knitting, cross stitch, regular gardening, attempts at resin, soap making,……

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
HEY! I resemble this remark! And yes I’m waiting for the local pottery place to start their next beginners classes (probably the fall) I’m also looking into concrete casting. And I picked up a Skulpty kit to make decorations.

On top of knitting, cross stitch, regular gardening, attempts at resin, soap making,……
My 8yo daughter insisted on getting those little individually waxed cheeses once, then insisted on keeping the wax because she wanted to make candles, and NOW there's a jar of beef talo on top of my fridge for the same purpose.

So, yeah, a little bit everything around here.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I am always concerned. Somehow I never get a full bottle back.
Well… if you’re handing off a full beer, that’s a gift. If you’re handing one with a sip out of it then that’s your beer.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A lot of us share the same desire to cram an entire forest of trees we like from all over the world into whatever space we have be it a giant backyard or a tiny balcony.

At last count I have 200 “trees”. My backyard is approaching that forest definition.

RobGA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love the optimism of bonsai people. Starting a seed to become a tree, taking a small tree that has no interest and shaping it over a period of years to something great, taking a tree near death and resurrecting it, and regardless of the age of the artist, there’s still time to make a difference. And as it has been said, the generosity and camaraderie of the people here who share willingly in an instant what they have learned over many trials and failures.

Mad Tabby

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
Another thing is how much of this stuff is transferable. Theres a cedar at the side of the house that the previous owner didn’t take care of. We pruned it back & it looked horrible. Then through bonsai I learned about how to prune to cause back budding. I’m happy to announce I’m seeing buds lower down, so I’m happy.

I am also wondering about shaping it. 😈

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another thing is how much of this stuff is transferable. Theres a cedar at the side of the house that the previous owner didn’t take care of. We pruned it back & it looked horrible. Then through bonsai I learned about how to prune to cause back budding. I’m happy to announce I’m seeing buds lower down, so I’m happy.

I am also wondering about shaping it. 😈
Might need some strong wire

Top Bottom