The rumors are true. Bjorn is moving back to Japan

The man needs to do what a man thinks is best for his family... whether financially or morally. We are reading too much between the lines here. Am sure he probably thinks his skill is much more valued in Japan than here and he can make a better living there than here... financially. I don't think racist is the primary reason for his move. Also don't think moving to Japan to be closer to the Grandma either.
Yeah, I think they just like Japan and again more power to them.

The man needs to do what a man thinks is best for his family... whether financially or morally. We are reading too much between the lines here. Am sure he probably thinks his skill is much more valued in Japan than here and he can make a better living there than here... financially. I don't think racist is the primary reason for his move. Also don't think moving to Japan to be closer to the Grandma either.
A man who takes care of his family is always respectable

I wish him the best of luck. Is it weird to respond "so what?" This makes the bonsai news, but changes my life in absolutely no way. Just saying.

Looks like he is back in Japan now and posting videos.

At the last intensive I was at, he said that his family was going to take a long trip around this time to buy property and start construction of everything. The big move isn't until May or June

Fascinating video. I have only been to Japan once and can't imagine how exciting it would be to live there! I hope he continues to share his journey!

Many of his trees have ended up here at Bonsai Learning Center with @BradNC. I was just at Brad's a couple of weeks ago and he has a few special ones...

Bjorn’s videos are so good, they should be a bonsai reality show on netflix. 😆
I could see a series that followed Bjorn setting up and running a nursery in Japan - would be an interesting POV.

With interest in anime/Japanese culture going mainstream there might be some crossover appeal.

I could see a series that followed Bjorn setting up and running a nursery in Japan - would be an interesting POV.

With interest in anime/Japanese culture going mainstream there might be some crossover appeal.
I just want to live vicariously through Bjorn. Buying empty land and building exactly what you want on it? Yes please. 🥲 and having the nursery on separate land is imo a good idea. Separating work from home is something I would love to do.

I just want to live vicariously through Bjorn. Buying empty land and building exactly what you want on it? Yes please. 🥲 and having the nursery on separate land is imo a good idea. Separating work from home is something I would love to do.
I agree - I’ve found myself in a more suburban environment than I would prefer but due to circumstances we’d be foolish to move.

I’ve only got .25 acres but am trying I make the best of it.

I read an article that it's basically de rigeur in Japan, and that houses basically lose all market value after 20 years. Tearing the previous owner's house down and building a new one before you move in is the typical thing. I really wish the US market could handle that...

I couldn't help but wonder how much all that costs. That much space in the Kyoto area couldn't be cheap. Still what a terrific adventure!

I read an article that it's basically de rigeur in Japan, and that houses basically lose all market value after 20 years. Tearing the previous owner's house down and building a new one before you move in is the typical thing. I really wish the US market could handle that...
That’s nuts! I would love to completely tear down our house. The layout is a tiny feng shui nightmare, so much wasted space everywhere.. remodeling isnt even worth it either, too expensive. But yes, I hear homes lose value there too, though who knows with foreigners buying up land (Not bjorn, but soon chinese investor)..

It's just now hitting me that we're gonna get a full youtube series of Bjorn and his family building their future home and garden. I am very excited! I think the old Eisei-en was a beautiful fusion of Tennessee and bonsai culture (the whiskey barrels are INCREDIBLE), and I expect another beautiful garden. Knowing Bjorn's love of videography, we'll get a front row seat!

Also, I love the part where he asks his daughter if she likes the land, and she just gives him a quick "NO!". Kids are funny.

I think the old Eisei-en was a beautiful fusion of Tennessee and bonsai culture

As someone who spent a decent amount of time there, I'll say that Bjorn got an incredible about of aesthetic and cinematographic value out of what he had set up. I was a little surprised to see the garden the first time I was there. The area immediately around the workshop is gorgeous, and the rest was a little simpler

Back
Top Bottom