The rumors are true. Bjorn is moving back to Japan

I wish him all the best in this new venture in his life but I agree with others that this is a huge loss for American bonsai
I actually don’t see this as a loss for American bonsai in the long run. Short term loss, absolutely. But, I think we’re going to get enough next-level content via Bonsai U and Bjorn’s YouTube, as well as network effects from the folks who go to Bjorn’s new nursery for intensives and then bring those skills back to the U.S. to make up for the loss of one bonsai nursery in Tennessee. I think there’s also significant potential for partnerships with bonsai folks in the U.S. to make importing trees more workable, despite all the regulatory and logistical hurdles involved.

I actually don’t see this as a loss for American bonsai in the long run. Short term loss, absolutely. But, I think we’re going to get enough next-level content via Bonsai U and Bjorn’s YouTube, as well as network effects from the folks who go to Bjorn’s new nursery for intensives and then bring those skills back to the U.S. to make up for the loss of one bonsai nursery in Tennessee. I think there’s also significant potential for partnerships with bonsai folks in the U.S. to make importing trees more workable, despite all the regulatory and logistical hurdles involved.
I agree. one can stay connected through social media nowadays, sites like instagram/youtube/facebook are there and they help people to stay connected, if youre using those sites you shouldnt miss much really. If youre not using those sites you are sorely missing out.

Not only that but the anti Chinese sentiment in many parts of the U.S. in recent years, with his wife being Chinese and daughter half Chinese. Could be kinda scary.

I also wouldn't want to raise a daughter in the U.S right now either.
I lived in Atlanta and Orlando in the last 8 years and I have not noticed the anti-China sentiment… Maybe it differs by location.

For those commenting on the cost of real estate - Land prices in large city centers are high, but the more rural you go, the cheaper things become. You can buy a whole mountain in the middle of nowhere for a fist full of cash.

And how would one learn more about this “buy a mountain” thing, I want to fantasize

Living overseas has always been appealing but it seems pretty difficult in many places. I was idly looking at Croatia and other countries like that, and it sounded like you could only live there 3 or 6 months, and then had to be out of the country for 90+ days. Not sure how people move their whole lives in scenarios like that.

His wife is Chinese? Thought she was Japanese for all those years…
A great lesson in why you watch the video before posting in the thread...

But I don't see a discussion about race going well here, so I would hope we could keep it to the implications for the bonsai community.

Which I think are huge and wonderful! His goal with Bonsai U--the same goal as Neil--is to level the playing field of technique between Japan and the west. What better place to do that than Japan?

I lived in Atlanta and Orlando in the last 8 years and I have not noticed the anti-China sentiment… Maybe it differs by location.
Are you Asian, though? If there’s anything I’ve learned about bigots and other bullies, it’s that they know their behavior isn’t acceptable and, so, they usually wait until they’ve got their victim alone with no one else to witness before they act on their worst impulses. So, I wouldn’t expect that I, as a white guy, would necessarily witness the extent of the problem of anti-Asian sentiment.

And how would one learn more about this “buy a mountain” thing, I want to fantasize

Living overseas has always been appealing but it seems pretty difficult in many places. I was idly looking at Croatia and other countries like that, and it sounded like you could only live there 3 or 6 months, and then had to be out of the country for 90+ days. Not sure how people move their whole lives in scenarios like that.
I have clients who do this. You have two houses, two home bases so to speak. You visit Europe for the allowed time, then come back to the states for a bit. You have a property manager look after your european home while you're in the states. It doesn't work well for someone with a hobby like bonsai unless you have a lot of conveniences around you, like a nursery that will board and a collection small enough to move efficiently. They aren't moving their whole lives each time, they pretty much have different things at the two homes.

Are you Asian, though? If there’s anything I’ve learned about bigots and other bullies, it’s that they know their behavior isn’t acceptable and, so, they usually wait until they’ve got their victim alone with no one else to witness before they act on their worst impulses. So, I wouldn’t expect that I, as a white guy, would necessarily witness the extent of the problem of anti-Asian sentiment.
So you think there are what, Rouge workplace bullies giving Asian workers swirlies in the stall when no one is looking? Or hiding out in alleys? Sounds like an after school special boogeyman.

With social media and a media hungry for anything racist to pin on whites, you better believe we're going to hear about it.

I'll leave my contribution to thread drift at that.

I hope Bjorn finds the success he is looking for in Japan.

I am 100% made in China and so is my wife.

A great lesson in why you watch the video before posting in the thread...

But I don't see a discussion about race going well here, so I would hope we could keep it to the implications for the bonsai community.

Which I think are huge and wonderful! His goal with Bonsai U--the same goal as Neil--is to level the playing field of technique between Japan and the west. What better place to do that than Japan?
Just rewatched it without jumping through…
I really hope Japan and China relationship doesn’t deteriorate….

Just rewatched it without jumping through…
I really hope Japan and China relationship doesn’t deteriorate….
My experience in Japan was largely that they don't care so much about where your from but they do care if you know the Language. Of course there are some exceptions, but given that she is fluent in Japanese (Bjorn too I think) I would be surprised to see them have trouble. Those two nations have gone in and out of love and hate for millenia. We wouldn't have bonsai if it weren't the case!

My experience in Japan was largely that they don't care so much about where your from but they do care if you know the Language. Of course there are some exceptions, but given that she is fluent in Japanese (Bjorn too I think) I would be surprised to see them have trouble. Those two nations have gone in and out of love and hate for millenia. We wouldn't have bonsai if it weren't the case!
I am sure they will be fine in Japan. I am more concerned about the situation in China hearing that his mother in law is still there. My parents are still in China too and I don’t stop worrying about their well being knowing how the Chinese government is good at using media to distract people and cause conflict. The current hot topic in China is how the nuclear water that Japan dumped into the ocean can impact the lives along the China costal line. My Chinese social media blew us about a week ago and there have been some really hateful languages towards Japan.
China and Japan relationship has never been easy…

The current hot topic in China is how the nuclear water that Japan dumped into the ocean can impact the lives along the China costal line. My Chinese social media blew us about a week ago and there have been some really hateful languages towards Japan.

Yeah, the major ocean currents in the Western Pacific take the Fukushima water north to the Aleutians. China is just fear mongering again.

I recently moved from the Bay Area of California. In the Bay Area, there is absolutely a disturbing uptick in targeted, senseless violence against Asians. There are 75 year old grandmas getting sucker punched in the streets.

However, I seriously doubt Bjorn's family experienced anything like that. Instead, in Tennessee they probably experienced old fashioned racism, and on a daily basis. Systemic racism is such a fundamental aspect of American life, especially in rural areas, that I don't blame them for wanting their daughter to avoid it. As one example, Asians in America are constantly asked where they are from, even when their ancestors have been here longer than the average white settler.

You need to be Asian to be able to know if there is discrimination against Asians. On top of that, even in areas where there is known xenophobia or racism against Asian people, there are always (local/assimilated) Asians who say they have never experienced it, for whatever reason.

There was a huge uptick of xenophobia against Asian people after covid. And there has been a slumbering racism, even sometimes 'positive' 'all Asians are good at math'-type racial stereotypes in every western countries.
With geopolitical tensions between the US and China, surely that must also play a role.

However, I think people are going a bit too far in speculating this is the reason why Bjorn is leaving for Japan, without any comment from him. And as noticed in this thread already, Japan and China have their own tensions, partially because of governments trying to stir tensions because of internal politics. And partially because of their history and lack of apology and reparations.
That said, you wouldn't be immune from racism as a Chinese person in Japan either.

Probably, there is this thing called 'bonsai' that made Bjorn move to Japan. But that might just be my speculation.

I don’t consider Bjorn’s move to Japan a loss, necessarily, to the American bonsai community… as others have mentioned, we are living in the age of social media… we own the means to remain connected with people/businesses we interact with remotely. I think there’s tremendous value in having a well known and accomplished American bonsai artist living and growing their business in a foreign country, especially Japan. Best to Bjorn and his family.

Back
Top Bottom