The rumors are true. Bjorn is moving back to Japan

I talked to a few folks at a club show just now about this, and the consensus seems to be that this will be a good way to differentiate his content from Mirai (though I don't think there's much of a need)

I appreciate that this is a move for himself and his family, and that makes it awesome. Certainly bittersweet, especially for his students and bonsai in the central US generally, but I know it will be good for Bjorn's career and family.

I'm really interested to go on one of the Japan tours that Bjorn and his wife lead. I imagine those will only get better with their being full time residents.

I talked to a few folks at a club show just now about this, and the consensus seems to be that this will be a good way to differentiate his content from Mirai (though I don't think there's much of a need)

I appreciate that this is a move for himself and his family, and that makes it awesome. Certainly bittersweet, especially for his students and bonsai in the central US generally, but I know it will be good for Bjorn's career and family.

I'm really interested to go on one of the Japan tours that Bjorn and his wife lead. I imagine those will only get better with their being full time residents.

Or he’ll be entering trees into the Kokufu. If he’s exhibiting, would he have time to run a tour simultaneously?

Or he’ll be entering trees into the Kokufu. If he’s exhibiting, would he have time to run a tour simultaneously?
I think with being able to hire and work with more locals, they'll be able to streamline it. Perhaps you won't have as much face time with Bjorn, but from everyone I've spoken to about these trips, it's the logistics and value that really make them great. I hadn't thought about his artistic efforts at the Kokufu getting in the way, but I'm sure there'll be several years before he has trees ready. It's exciting tho, nonetheless.

Good on him and his wife making decisions and taking risk.

Definitely a lose to the American bonsai scene. His skills, abilities, and understanding will be extremely challenging to find in the US and western world.

Adam Jones of Treehouse Bonsai has a super sweet compound near Omiya - I’m sure Bjorn will make an absolutely stunning base in Kyoto, and we look forward to maybe visit in the far future. Good for him for prioritizing family. But this is a huge loss to the American bonsai scene. :(
Treehouse is in Ibaraki. But I agree, it is stunning. I hope to visit sometime soon.

For those commenting on the cost of real estate - Land prices in large city centers are high, but the more rural you go, the cheaper things become. You can buy a whole mountain in the middle of nowhere for a fist full of cash.
As far as cost of living, I can't comment on that of the US, especially with recent inflation, but compared to Canada, it's vastly cheaper here. Keep in mind I live in Tokyo, and I come from one of the least populous/desirable Canadian provences, and still there is still no comparison. My cost of living here is a fraction of my friends back home, but my income is comparable to many. I cannot even imagine how they get by honestly.
Personally I'm excited by this announcement and can't wait to see his upcoming content.

He’s not going to the National Bonsai Exhibition now?
He doesn’t have a table but he will have a presence, I mean, his recent summer tree and accessory sale is all Nationals pick up or nursery pick up only?

he is on the event schedule:

IMG_8350.png

Good for him. If you are truly skilled in the Japanese school of bonsai, your place is in Japan.
If you are better than your Japanese peer apprentices, it is kinda a waste to leave Japan.
Unless you also have other skills and can be successful in different aspects that just pure bonsai.

Living abroad in Japan can definitely be hard. And living abroad because of your partner's job may be even harder.

For those commenting on the cost of real estate - Land prices in large city centers are high, but the more rural you go, the cheaper things become. You can buy a whole mountain in the middle of nowhere for a fist full of cash.
As far as cost of living, I can't comment on that of the US, especially with recent inflation, but compared to Canada, it's vastly cheaper here. Keep in mind I live in Tokyo, and I come from one of the least populous/desirable Canadian provences, and still there is still no comparison. My cost of living here is a fraction of my friends back home, but my income is comparable to many. I cannot even imagine how they get by honestly.
Personally I'm excited by this announcement and can't wait to see his upcoming content.

I heard that with the shrinking population in Japan, there are a lot of empty houses that no one lives in. Meaning real estate is getting cheaper, and will continue to get cheaper. Until Japan finds a solution to their demographic crisis.
Of course, the best houses, neighborhoods in the biggest cities are not cheap.
By accident, I saw at least two videos on youtube of foreigners living in Japanese houses that were abandoned for at least a decade and that they bought for almost nothing.
So that in itself is at least an interesting aspect of Japan. Maybe it's a bit like France, where you can buy a completely deshevleed castle in the coutnryside for almost nothing, and then spend 20x the price you bought it for to make it livable.

I heard that with the shrinking population in Japan, there are a lot of empty houses that no one lives in. Meaning real estate is getting cheaper, and will continue to get cheaper. Until Japan finds a solution to their demographic crisis.
Of course, the best houses, neighborhoods in the biggest cities are not cheap.
By accident, I saw at least two videos on youtube of foreigners living in Japanese houses that were abandoned for at least a decade and that they bought for almost nothing.
So that in itself is at least an interesting aspect of Japan. Maybe it's a bit like France, where you can buy a completely deshevleed castle in the coutnryside for almost nothing, and then spend 20x the price you bought it for to make it livable.
those are only out in the rural areas which have a hard time keeping young adults around after they graduate, since there aren’t a lot of opportunities for starting careers. They are absolutely beautiful locales though with lots of bonsai yardadori promise. I grew up in Japan so that would be a dream retirement for me

Sound decision.
I wouldn't want to run a business and have a family in the US either.
One small accident, work or family related, can put you into debt for life.
Not only that but the anti Chinese sentiment in many parts of the U.S. in recent years, with his wife being Chinese and daughter half Chinese. Could be kinda scary.

I also wouldn't want to raise a daughter in the U.S right now either.

Not only that but the anti Chinese sentiment in many parts of the U.S. in recent years, with his wife being Chinese and daughter half Chinese. Could be kinda scary.

I didn't know that that was an ongoing thing. That sucks.

I didn't know that that was an ongoing thing. That sucks.
I guess it depends on the company you keep. I haven't seen it. Of course, I lived for decades in Southern California with a substantial Asian population. LA is the 2nd most populous Korean city after Seoul. As I've moved East, the Asian population has dropped substantially.

I guess it depends on the company you keep. I haven't seen it. Of course, I lived for decades in Southern California with a substantial Asian population. LA is the 2nd most populous Korean city after Seoul. As I've moved East, the Asian population has dropped substantially.
There have been people attacked on the street in NYC and other places for no other reason but for the fact they are of Asian decent. Literally beaten and at least one killed. People literally stopped eating Chinese food because COVID originated in China ( not kidding, that's how stupid some people are).

It's not just Asians, other ethnic, religious groups and others have faced increased discrimination in the last several years.

There have been people attacked on the street in NYC and other places for no other reason but for the fact they are of Asian decent. Literally beaten and at least one killed. People literally stopped eating Chinese food because COVID originated in China ( not kidding, that's how stupid some people are).

It's not just Asians, other ethnic, religious groups and others have faced increased discrimination in the last several years.
I lived in NYC for most of my life, often in a pretty rough neighborhood. The street and subway attacks are almost all perpetrated by mentally ill black men, who make up the overwhelming majority of the unhoused population, and occasionally by gang-affilfiated teens. A few years ago (starting 2013 roughly) there was a big upswing in unprovoked assaults of our Hassidim communities. My dad's work hours had to nearly double. Same demographic pattern.

I doubt that Bjorn and his family will face anti-Chinese discrimination where he lives, and that is not why he is moving to Japan.

You can say this about everyone. Shit, I'm a white male and I've experienced discrimination at the hands of my employers and educational institutions over the years.

Should I speak japanese, I would also live in Kyoto, the most beautiful city I've visited. I felt a genuine sense of colective harmony. The best place to raise a family and a business.

Now I feel it's easier to reach him and his trees. Hope to see him next time I go to Kyoto (and hope he runs a business that sells and ships trees with the sanitary documentation needed).

His wife is Chinese? Thought she was Japanese for all those years…

Back
Top Bottom