The "NOT SHOHIN" maple forest

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I recently started the thread "NOT SHOHIN" [https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/not-shohin.26588/] in the general discussion forum regarding a collaboration with ceramist extraordinaire Roy Minarai. I had an idea about doing a forest composition that was to be planted on an unusually proportioned container roughly 30" long and 10" wide. I contacted Roy to see if he could make such a pot. He agreed, much to my surprise, since I thought he only made beautiful shohin pots. Now I know! I believe this is by far Roy’s largest pot to date.

I wanted this project to be more a collaborative effort. I sent Roy a sketch of what I had in mind. I told him to choose the glaze and any other artistic touches and/or details he wanted to incorporate. The very long pot was successfully fired without suffering a single crack and with just minimal warping. I am unsure as to how he pulled it off, but he did!

It was an honor to have the opportunity to work with Roy, who is quickly becoming one of the most exciting ceramists of his generation. Check out his article in the latest issue of Bonsai Focus. I look forward to unique and innovative collaborations with him in the future.

Below is the sketch I sent Roy back in January 2017.

The pot has Roy's signature dripping glaze with a subtle wash of moss green around the edges. It was carefully and solidly constructed with plenty of holes for excellent drainage.

The main tree I used was a maple [ https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/colin-lewis-multi-trunk-a-palmatum.25844/ ] that I had styled several weeks before. It served in part as my inspiration to create this forest and decided to use it in the composition. The "coast to coast" maple forest was originally conceived as a mixed planting using other deciduous species. The idea was later abandoned after failing to obtain the necessary materials.

The main tree in place: Out of its Koyo pot and into the Minarai.

A few shots of the work in progress.

Here is the work completed for now. Not nearly as many trees were used as I had anticipated. Probably shy of 50 Japanese maples. The design will keep improving as the trees settle in and mature as they grow together. I look forward to its future development.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I recently started the thread "NOT SHOHIN" [https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/not-shohin.26588/] in the general discussion forum regarding a collaboration with ceramist extraordinaire Roy Minarai. I had an idea about doing a forest composition that was to be planted on an unusually proportioned container roughly 30" long and 10" wide. I contacted Roy to see if he could make such a pot. He agreed, much to my surprise, since I thought he only made beautiful shohin pots. Now I know! I believe this is by far Roy’s largest pot to date.

I wanted this project to be more a collaborative effort. I sent Roy a sketch of what I had in mind. I told him to choose the glaze and any other artistic touches and/or details he wanted to incorporate. The very long pot was successfully fired without suffering a single crack and with just minimal warping. I am unsure as to how he pulled it off, but he did!

It was an honor to have the opportunity to work with Roy, who is quickly becoming one of the most exciting ceramists of his generation. Check out his article in the latest issue of Bonsai Focus. I look forward to unique and innovative collaborations with him in the future.

Below is the sketch I sent Roy back in January 2017.

The pot has Roy's signature dripping glaze with a subtle wash of moss green around the edges. It was carefully and solidly constructed with plenty of holes for excellent drainage.

The main tree I used was a maple [ https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/colin-lewis-multi-trunk-a-palmatum.25844/ ] that I had styled several weeks before. It served in part as my inspiration to create this forest and decided to use it in the composition. The "coast to coast" maple forest was originally conceived as a mixed planting using other deciduous species. The idea was later abandoned after failing to obtain the necessary materials.

The main tree in place: Out of its Koyo pot and into the Minarai.

A few shots of the work in progress.

Here is the work completed for now. Not nearly as many trees were used as I had anticipated. Probably shy of 50 Japanese maples. The design will keep improving as the trees settle in and mature as they grow together. I look forward to its future development.

Not too far off from sketch. Should be very nice in a few years.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Stunning! I totally can appreciate that you used what already was amazing material in deciding to use that clump that had initially inspired this project. Usually I think if a forest planting...it's mediocre trees making a great composition. Not the case here...Then factor in the icing on the cake, that stunning pot that you had created for this project. Superb at the get go initial starting of its race as a grouping, and will only succeed in becoming something more. Thanks for sharing the stages along the way in getting it there.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A masterpiece in the making! When the right half of the planting starts to mature, I can see reducing the numbers significantly to give a quieter feel. I like that you used a perfectly good clump as a starting place. Bold. Bravo!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Usually I think if a forest planting...it's mediocre trees making a great composition. Not the case here...
This is something that I think is a common mistake. This is a good example of what forest compositions can be when started with vision.

My eye wants to see a couple smaller trees nearer to (or in front of) that big clump for some reason... But what a great start Serg!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is something that I think is a common mistake. This is a good example of what forest compositions can be when started with vision.

My eye wants to see a couple smaller trees nearer to (or in front of) that big clump for some reason... But what a great start Serg!

I think you are very correct! I think it's possibly where one is on their journey...and, Sergio is far advanced. So taking it to the next level at the very get go. He sure had an amazing vision. It's stunning!!!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What I like about this composition is that it brings to mind what many of us in the northern midwest see driving down I-80 as fast as we can go. It's the shape of the woods, the complete environment.

Right on Fred! There are examples of this type of groupings or forests up north particularly on I-80. I use to drive it all the time for many years to Ohio since my wife is from there. These scenes are embedded or rather burned in my memory bank.

Some folks say, bonsai should be a reflection of your environment. Well maybe that's why I work so much with deciduous trees because that's all I see! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom