The Hemlock (Tsuga) Discussion THREAD.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just wondering if there were enough Bnut members who wanted to review, discuss, ask questions, show examples, give personal stories on the North American Hemlocks, The Eastern, Western, Mountain and the Caroliniana?
So is there?
Maybe if we are lucky the moderator would add another conifer forum..... and there should be one for Larch too?😂
Gman

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one spindly example that I'm using to learn the species - how to prune it and keep it happy. This came from the mountains of western North Carolina near Highlands and was collected (I assume illegally) by my 72 year old Mom. She knew I was interested in hemlock and decided to bring me one from a trip she took with my aunt a few years back. So, I'm not sure if it's Carolina or Eastern Hemlock. I just read that Carolina come from drier, rockier sites and the needles smell like tangerines when crushed. Ill have to test that out.

I'm not sure what I'll do with it going forward but here it is as of now.

20200620_130233.jpg

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have one spindly example that I'm using to learn the species - how to prune it and keep it happy. This came from the mountains of western North Carolina near Highlands and was collected (I assume illegally) by my 72 year old Mom. She knew I was interested in hemlock and decided to bring me one from a trip she took with my aunt a few years back. So, I'm not sure if it's Carolina or Eastern Hemlock. I just read that Carolina come from drier, rockier sites and the needles smell like tangerines when crushed. Ill have to test that out.

I'm not sure what I'll do with it going forward but here it is as of now.

View attachment 313746
I’m not an expert on Eastern or Carolina but I think we can assume that they could be treated the same as their western cousins?! I see that yours has some long extensions from this years growth. You can find tiny buds back along those extensions that you can trim back too, I leave a stub which dies back and can be removed later.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the idea. They're one of my favourite species to work with. I like the idea of its own subthread. :)
I totally agree, this species is continuing to grow in popularity, especially along the West Coast and there are many great examples and information from the Portland Village folks, Micheal Hagedorn, Matt Reel, Ryan Neal, Bobby Curttright and further north Dan Robinson.

Reaction score
I totally agree, this species is continuing to grow in popularity, especially along the West Coast and there are many great examples and information from the Portland Village folks, Micheal Hagedorn, Matt Reel, Ryan Neal, Bobby Curttright and further north Dan Robinson.
Now we just need to convince the mods ;)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve enjoyed hemlocks in the wild for just about as long as can “recall” the “wild.

I had (in my first year “madness”) collected two tsugas, that after really considering it... should not have been collected..

But I decided to attempt interesting things with these less than ideal specimens..

So these young’uns where collected AND styled (2 of my first 3 wiring jobs... I know where I need to improve) in early spring .. (bad idea.. I know..)

I’ll get better tsuga specimens next year.

But these are my current Tsuga “Turds” (also in my “other conifers thread)
4C4246C3-46D6-4081-904A-B14BEF95B05A.jpegC99A0613-DA76-4F86-A0F0-74CB3237AE72.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I probably over post about these two, But I really like Hemlock. The first was from a box store depot in the Spring of ‘18, repotted spring of ‘19 into a flat, and really pumping out some growth now. The second was collected from the mountains in ‘13. I am surprised how different the growth habit in the two is. The depot tree seems to have much more compact growth and is well capable of shading out lower branches if not careful; despite the high Shade tolerance of the species. I’m 95% sure they are both canadensis

Attachments

• 9B6FAD19-4604-4875-BBF6-B1FE20F64F13.jpeg
    9B6FAD19-4604-4875-BBF6-B1FE20F64F13.jpeg
    422 KB · Views: 222
  • 8661B2BC-D61F-4BF7-BAC5-8CDF05968456.jpeg
    8661B2BC-D61F-4BF7-BAC5-8CDF05968456.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 260

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For the n00bs, Tsuga bonsai is like a "snipe hunt". Neither one actually exists and these people are screwing with you. It is a recurring meme.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve enjoyed hemlocks in the wild for just about as long as can “recall” the “wild.

I had (in my first year “madness”) collected two tsugas, that after really considering it... should not have been collected..

But I decided to attempt interesting things with these less than ideal specimens..

So these young’uns where collected AND styled (2 of my first 3 wiring jobs... I know where I need to improve) in early spring .. (bad idea.. I know..)

I’ll get better tsuga specimens next year.

But these are my current Tsuga “Turds” (also in my “other conifers thread)
View attachment 313792View attachment 313793
I’d recommend that you to get your trees healthy and full of vigor before attempting styling or repotting. I’ve lost some nice Yamadori by rushing things.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’d recommend that you to get your trees healthy and full of vigor before attempting styling or repotting. I’ve lost some nice Yamadori by rushing things.

Exactly.. I know that it was an oversight..

Luckily these aren’t nice!

🤣🤣🤣

The woods are vast and I’m usually “all up in em” at least once daily...

Can’t wait till my second collecting season. (My “second swing”)

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I probably over post about these two, But I really like Hemlock. The first was from a box store depot in the Spring of ‘18, repotted spring of ‘19 into a flat, and really pumping out some growth now. The second was collected from the mountains in ‘13. I am surprised how different the growth habit in the two is. The depot tree seems to have much more compact growth and is well capable of shading out lower branches if not careful; despite the high Shade tolerance of the species. I’m 95% sure they are both canadensis
Lots of potential in them. The box store one is a variety selected for its growth habits, probably made by cuttings. Here is one commercial variety of Western called (“Curly”) for its needles. I got it as a seedling......It’s only 9 years old but is barking up nicely for such a young age. One disappointment with it is that the branches are very very brittle, so I’ve learned to clip and grow this one.
35FBE623-4C90-497D-BFD8-ACEA023DD9A0.jpegD9A2BF9D-3EB2-412E-97D7-D68CA703B1BA.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone tried doing a shohin hemlock?
If my air-layer takes, I’ll likely keep it on the smaller side. You’d think with the small leaves it would be suitable for smaller designs, but I haven’t seen any.

Top Bottom