Tell me something you didn't understand until later in life.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have learned that suffering occurs every time you fight or resist circumstances that are beyond your control. We spend way to much time and waste our true life and our place in it with trying to control things. It closes off beautiful opportunities and we deny ourselves the very things that are truly meant for us and our best life. No regrets!

When you have people in your life that are authentic and real and allow you to be the same and love you, it is one of the most beautiful gifts you will ever have!

And what you guys have already said, the small things in life and the small moments are really what matters and are the most beautiful. Our bonsai, sunsets, long hugs, times with true friends, deep conversations and every small moment that make our hearts smile should never be overlooked.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I was trained as a youth but didn’t appreciate the ability of the human body to regulate energy reserves fully until much later in life. When I approached middle age, I started having weight problem until I recalled my youth training and put it to use. Poof, all my weight and health problem went away.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission 🤪
You've obviously never lived with a narcissist. They don't forgive 🤬.

Speaking of, some advice from my mother that I'm still rather ambivalent about.
No rest for the wicked, and the righteous don't need any.
I've only recently learned what this REALLY means, and it's not what mom thought it was. The wicked will always find themselves toiling in constant anxiety, they fear their past will come back to haunt them and so fear their future as well, and thus continue to scheme in an effort to avoid their penance. The righteous, on the other hand, have a tendency to engross themselves in things that fulfill them and others, and so, though they toil equally to the wicked, they enjoy their labor.

A couple of my own.
You can't save someone from themselves. I've tried, my brother still died, and two failed marriages. Love is NOT all you need when someone finds your patience to be a weakness.
There are worse things than being alone, like NOT being alone when you need it.
Camping rules: DON'T DIE. 😉
It's hard to fail at what you don't attempt. What have you failed at today?

One from the stoics.
Men suffer more often in their minds than in reality.
He who does not embrace fate will be dragged along by it.
Both Seneca

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Life or Bonsai related. My first is
"The funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done."

Second.
"Adults don't have all the wisdom/answers that I thought they might from life experience's. Some don't take the time to learn, and are set in their ways from past experiences."
Something I didn't realize many decades ago in my early 20s was that SE Michigan rocks!
It is one of the best places to live, raise a family, great schools, easy access to all that the great lakes have to offer, easy access to an international airport hub for travel, etc, etc.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Something I didn't realize many decades ago in my early 20s was that SE Michigan rocks!
It is one of the best places to live, raise a family, great schools, easy access to all that the great lakes have to offer, easy access to an international airport hub for travel, etc, etc.
Yes, it does! I love living in the enchanted mitten. 😀 I posted this in another thread yesterday.

Not sure of your Enchanted Mitten destination, but we have a lot more to offer than most realize. We have about 12,000 inland lakes, 300 waterfalls, 38 deep-water ports, and more miles of coastline than any state but Alaska, and more lighthouses than any other U.S. state. We also have tourist-friendly fare such as cherries, blueberries, peaches, apples, wine, Vernors & BetterMade Potato chips. :cool: lol I love MI!

Last edited:

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'll just leave a couple of my favorite quotes:

The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.
-Soctrates

If a man does not know to what port he is sailing, no wind is favorable.
-Seneca the Younger

A Poem by Tecumseh
“So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.
When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision.
When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.”

-Chief Tecumseh

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Old Hungarian saying - from dog one cannot make salami, only dog salami. Meaning, crappy people are just crappy people.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can't say I am "later in life" but what I am learning and trying to live out is is being kind goes a heck of a lot further than being a jerk even when it is hard and every fiber of your being is saying to be mean. Anger and being mean is laziness in my opinion, there is usually something deeper down that you do not want to confront or deal with so the lazy way out is hurting others. You never know whose life you are going to change with a kind word or action. Positivity breeds positivity.

Top Bottom