table top saw

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hence my original question, is there a small table top saw that others use and would recommend :)

I have a friend/contractor that comes by on occasion to do some work here. He has two woodworking shops and a lot of portable stuff. He normally will bring this Ryobi https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...MIm7zJ4YvV2AIVDLXACh3EvgOmEAQYAiABEgJvufD_BwE or a Makita chop saw depending on the cuts needed.
That Ryobi is very reasonable in cost and does a nice job. He often does comment though that blade quality and type has a lot to do with it.

Grimmy

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a friend/contractor that comes by on occasion to do some work here. He has two woodworking shops and a lot of portable stuff. He normally will bring this Ryobi https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1...MIm7zJ4YvV2AIVDLXACh3EvgOmEAQYAiABEgJvufD_BwE or a Makita chop saw depending on the cuts needed.
That Ryobi is very reasonable in cost and does a nice job. He often does comment though that blade quality and type has a lot to do with it.

Grimmy
I like that! Thanks Grimmy.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I built that one right after I acquired the saw 15 years ago. I guess you could say it's overbuilt:D, but it's still as easy and effective to use as when it was built... I can cross cut a board 12" x 2" x 12' and it still slides like butter.

... and I can quickly rip planks 24" long in it, too. Like @CWTurner said, you can't do that with a chop saw.

...still want one, though;).

i built this - saves space. roll out from its corner, use 14 foot bench and 4 foot mobile bench for outfeeds (all benches and stands i have are built to same height for that reason so i can any size piece by orienting saw to get the additional space) im not super happy about the limited space in front of blade , so i was actually working on a solution for that last night when i saw this thread. (adding 8 inches in front of saw for more room to start cuts etc)
20180113_093414.jpg

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Dave.

I've been thinking about a circular saw. But I thought with having to do rip cuts as well that a small table would be a little easier.
you can actually do quite a bit with a circular saw - you can google how to do a fiy track saw out of plywood or aluminum to save money and rip sheet goods alot easier (and be accurate too)

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I can see how that would work well for a cross cut. How well does it work for making rip cuts?
it just goes straight down and does a 10 in cut. so if you had a piece of wood 20"long and 8" wide you could do a rip cut on it and flip it to do the other end and make two 4x20 boards. I have used mine to do just that because I was to lazy to set up the portable table saw.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm looking to start making my own cedar plant boxes. Looking for recommendations on small table top saws.

Thanks.
If your key requirement is small then a chop saw. If your key requirement is versatility to build grow boxes then a portable table saw is best. The difference is the ability to cut thinner strips of dimensional lumber. This is useful for handles and feet. They also help with the structure in the design. Also setting the fence on a table saw gives you the same length/width every time as opposed to measuring every cut. Assembly becomes easier:).
My last batch was a group of 75 grow boxes and the assembly part becomes important. Also useful would be the old style radial arm saw, but not near as mobile.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If your key requirement is small then a chop saw. If your key requirement is versatility to build grow boxes then a portable table saw is best. The difference is the ability to cut thinner strips of dimensional lumber. This is useful for handles and feet. They also help with the structure in the design. Also setting the fence on a table saw gives you the same length/width every time as opposed to measuring every cut. Assembly becomes easier:).
My last batch was a group of 75 grow boxes and the assembly part becomes important. Also useful would be the old style radial arm saw, but not near as mobile.
Here are a couple of pictures to support my comments. The grow boxes are approx 10 inches by 10 inches and five inches deep. I use fence boards usually purchase 1 by 6 in six foot lengths. The thinner strips act as feet and handles as well as lock in the sides and bottoms. Gorilla waterproof glue with a nail gun and screws in the corners for extra support. The Rigid from Home Depot has been an excellent small, portable, table saw.

Attachments

• IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0924.JPG
    IMG_0924.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 6

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are a couple of pictures to support my comments. The grow boxes are approx 10 inches by 10 inches and five inches deep. I use fence boards usually purchase 1 by 6 in six foot lengths. The thinner strips act as feet and handles as well as lock in the sides and bottoms. Gorilla waterproof glue with a nail gun and screws in the corners for extra support. The Rigid from Home Depot has been an excellent small, portable, table saw.
That Rigid saw looks nice as well. But at $400 probably more than I'd like to spend.

I think a "field trip" to Home Depot is in my near future to see these saw as up close and personal.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think a "field trip" to Home Depot is in my near future to see these saw as up close and personal.

They sell a similar made by Skil and another - they are all the same AMP and size while one has no stand option - but great for working off the tailgate of a pickup as are most chop saws. Chops saws are very accurate but better suited for finer work IMHO. At his house I have no storage for such things and would buy top end ONLY if going into full time use. My friend has table saws for instance that cost a few thousand dollars BUT he uses them restoring cabinets mostly extremely old. For a cut here and there save your money for plants to put in whatever you make ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom