1. I'm looking to start making my own cedar plant boxes. Looking for recommendations on small table top saws.

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. Dav4

Dav4 Imperial Masterpiece

A circular saw would work, as would a table saw built into a table, maybe even a chop saw. Cutting long planks can be a pain without the right tool or experience as they can be hard to cut straight (and safely) without the right set up. Have you ever used any of the above?

4. sorce

sorce Nonsense Rascal

In Scottsville.... Capture+_2018-01-12-07-06-31.png

Don't buy the shit Chicago electric one!

Sorce

Attached Files:

5. choppychoppy

choppychoppy Shohin

I like a chop saw - I've got one that can do a six inch width board and can adjust to miter any angle. I would recommend this above anything else - totally idiot proof compared to almost anything else.

theone420 likes this.
  6. Dav4

I've got a nice contractor's saw, a circular saw, a reciprocating saw, even a 14" band saw... but no chop saw! Maybe for my coming birthday... hoping for a 12"er:).

quietobserver likes this.
  7. Anthony

Anthony Masterpiece

8. Of course you would recommend a chop saw. why not a choppy choppy saw. :D

but I would go with the same I have a craftsman saw like he describes that can do miters.

9. Vin

Vin Masterpiece

I use a chop saw for mine and recommend the same to you.

Grow Box.JPG

jriddell88 and sorce like this.
  10. choppychoppy

choppychoppy Shohin

I've got a circular and reciprocating as well lol - I've got too much stuff :(

11. Dav4

My set up for cutting long planks and dimensional lumber. My jig is bulky, but it cuts a 90° angle every time:)
    EAA508C0-4B33-40D2-9EE3-D148D6F6D329.jpeg A12E4BA2-B927-4BB0-AE0B-F0AB2DF2584A.jpeg

sorce and watchndsky like this.
  12. Bonsaifurliife

Bonsaifurliife Sapling

I like the chop saw too. IMG_1444.JPG

13. choppychoppy

choppychoppy Shohin

14. watchndsky

watchndsky Chumono

thats the biggest cross cut sled ive ever seen. makes me wanna give you the extra miter saw out in my garage :)

CWTurner and Dav4 like this.
  15. CWTurner

CWTurner Chumono

A chop saw (mitre saw) is very easy to use for cross cutting lumber to length. Its also relatively portable, if that's important to you.

But, if you ever need to rip (slice a board lengthwise) a chop saw is useless. While a table saw is less portable, and cross cuts aren't as quick or easy with one, I find it the more useful tool in the long run as it can rip, and crosscut.

If you will never need to cut down a 1" x 8" into two 1" x 4"s, then go with the chopper, as @choppychoppy says.
    CW

Dav4 likes this.
  16. Dav4

I built that one right after I acquired the saw 15 years ago. I guess you could say it's overbuilt:D, but it's still as easy and effective to use as when it was built... I can cross cut a board 12" x 2" x 12' and it still slides like butter.

... and I can quickly rip planks 24" long in it, too. Like @CWTurner said, you can't do that with a chop saw.

...still want one, though;).

17. Gdy2000

Gdy2000 Mame

18. Bonsaifurliife

Bonsaifurliife Sapling

19. Dav4

You don't rip with it. If you're planning to rip planks or sheets of lumbar, a table saw is the way to go, though a circular saw will do in a pinch.

Gary McCarthy likes this.
  20. Thanks Dave.

I've been thinking about a circular saw. But I thought with having to do rip cuts as well that a small table would be a little easier.