Sun for JBP

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have loads of 2 year old seedlings (around 70) I grew from seed and loads of 4-5 year old whips I've been growing on.

I have moved into a new house and I've just finished replacing the temporary benches (that you can see in the below pic taken Feb this year) with the more permanent ones. Now my question is which is best side of the garden for my JBP.

The right side (1) gets more morning sun from 6:30am till round 2pm (7.5hrs)

The left side (2) gets more afternoon sun from around 9:30-10am till round 7pm (9hrs)

Which side is best for JBP you think?

sun.JPG

I'll take a picture of the finished benches when I get a chance.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Brian Van Fleet I've done what you suggested and moved all my seedlings and pre-bonsai JBP to the spot in the garden that gets the most sun. These now get sun from around 10am to sundown the below pics where taken at 8pm and you can see the last of the days sun on them.

All in Boon mix and pond baskets. The ones I've grown from seed (third growing season) at the front and the now bigger whips i bought from a bonsai nursery (a year before I started the seeds) at the back. All inspired by @Eric Schrader thread on JBP seedlings!

I've also had a battle with foxes thinking the bench is its new bathroom and you can see the sensor activated sprinkler in the last pic, seems to have worked so far.

IMG_7726.JPG IMG_7727.JPG IMG_7728.JPG

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So the below are seedlings in their third growing season… I have noticed that the candle colour on some of them are yellow instead of the green they can vary one seedling candle can be green and the one next to it yellow (see pics) what would you suggest causes this and how would you fix it?

- They’ve all had fertilizer once a month and fish emulsion once a week.
- I live roughly zone 9 temps
- They get direct sunlight from around 10am till 8pm at night
- Soil is equal parts Akadama/Pumice/Lava

Previous years the new growth has been nice and green never as yellow as some of these. They did have a hard winter so maybe its just the result of that?

5D1D0C08-0D50-47C5-BACE-21F1F5845870.jpeg7A6B79D1-D6AC-4EE4-9457-81F5CAF0E400.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The soil is likely too wet.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The soil is likely too wet.

I am always conscious about that. That's why I put them in small pond baskets and boon mix.. They always dry out by the end of the day (ie its not even damp under the pot) and don't get watered till the following morning? We did have a hard cold late winter so maybe that could be a factor?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Does your fertilizer contain trace elements?
Watering with a too low pH or too high could block or wash out iron, causing yellowing in new growth.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I agree that you really can't overwater in boon mix in a basket -- I water my seedlings 3-4 times a day.

Top Bottom