My grandfather watered my northern red oak in the sun. All the leaves burnt off but it’s still alive and the inside is green. What can I do?

PlantsNFishin

Sapling
Reaction score
This oak is about 1-2 years old now. It was collected last summer by my partner as a gift to celebrate the start of our relationship so the tree has a lot of meaning to me. My grandpa watered it but watered the leaves too and they all burnt off. I’m keeping it in the shade and cut the dead leaves but it’s not showing any new growth. What can I do? I live in Toronto
I attached a picture of it last fall vs now.

Edit: He knows nothing about collecting and collected it in the middle of summer and put it in a bucket while it was sitting in water. It’s a miracle it survived that!

Attachments

• IMG_7241.jpeg
    IMG_7241.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7242.png
    IMG_7242.png
    249 KB · Views: 55

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t think that the leaves being watered while the tree was in sun has anything whatsoever to do with the health issues the tree is having. It’s likely either the out of season collection or else it’s been overwatered or underwatered. I think your best shot at saving it (if it can be saved) is to water it correctly from now on. Stick a finger in the soil to check moisture levels prior to watering. When you water it, water thoroughly enough to ensure the whole rootball receives moisture uniformly. Allow the soil to dry out between waterings, but it should never be allowed to become bone dry. It should always be at least a little bit moist. But, it also shouldn’t be allowed to stay wet for days.

What kind of soil is it in?

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
water doesnt burn leaves, that is a myth. moisture helps recently transplanted trees deal with transpiration and heat damage

That's my understanding. The only effect of water you put on the leaves is that transpiration won't pull water through the plant. This means that it won't be able to take up new nutrients. So if somehow a plant is in 100% humidity or when leaves are always wet because of rain or watering, it inhibits the nutrient flow.
But water you put on on a hot day will definitely cool the leaves. And prevent evaporation of water inside the leaves. Both of which are key.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's my understanding. The only effect of water you put on the leaves is that transpiration won't pull water through the plant. This means that it won't be able to take up new nutrients. So if somehow a plant is in 100% humidity or when leaves are always wet because of rain or watering, it inhibits the nutrient flow.
But water you put on on a hot day will definitely cool the leaves. And prevent evaporation of water inside the leaves. Both of which are key.
money. in extreme situations, water helps big time.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree with the others that watering leaves is not the problem.

The tree obviously survived last summer collection so should be well enough established by now that transplant should not be a factor in this problem.
One pic show it in a pot, the other appears to be in some sort of pond basket? What's the timing on that change?
Pond baskets and colanders dry out much quicker than standard pots. If you haven't had experience dehydration is a big killer of trees in open mesh containers.

Good news is that most oaks are resilient. Maintain care because it is likely it will sprout again if needs are met.

Top Bottom