summer heat/watering

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
its a miracle that you can keep anything alive with that abundance of knowledge ;)

You must be old? ;) and btw, the trees I have are deciduous and evergreen.. Trident maple, beech, mimosa seedlings red maple seedlings. and junipers, boxwoods and Japanese hollies. Some azaleas and a Chinese fringe flower. No pines and only one small gineseng ficus.

toadmyster223

Sapling
Reaction score
I just use a glass or plastic bottle with the top cut off, filled with water above soil line, and titrated in by a strip of cotton fabric. Soak the cloth, place it in the edge of the pot, and watch the water drip in over a few hours

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You know you can use the vinyl window screen for shade cloth too. It comes in grey, black, and green and makes a fine shade cloth, only thing is its not rated as a percent value of sun it lets through like regular shadecloth is. I used the green in the past and it works well, is very durable. The light it lets through is diffused and it looks nice too.

ed

Interesting, hadnt thought of that but it makes sense. It would probably be cheaper too. Wonder if anyone has figured out how much sun a screen filters.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting, hadnt thought of that but it makes sense. It would probably be cheaper too. Wonder if anyone has figured out how much sun a screen filters.

Depends on the rating. 30%, 50%, 70% etc.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depends on the rating. 30%, 50%, 70% etc.

I know commercial shade cloth has different ratings, Ed mentioned using regular window screen, which doesnt have a rating, at least not that Ive seen. Have you seen regular window screen with shade ratings?

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score

ive seen first hand experience that this stuff shades out too much of the sun if we are talking about the same stuff. Maybe im talking about something different as this stuff isnt for windows its for shade patios

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
ive seen first hand experience that this stuff shades out too much of the sun if we are talking about the same stuff. Maybe im talking about something different as this stuff isnt for windows its for shade patios

Funny you mentioned it, a good friend of mine has been in "hot water" over it every time him and his Wife go to their summer place. He spent a good amount on it to enclose the deck that overlooks the lake replacing tattered old stuff. Now you can barely see the lake :p That was the reason I remembered what it was called. It could be though someone has developed lower ratings since although I never looked for it.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

You could always just get a standard roll on the cheap and experiment using various layers offset a bit but honest you can get shade cloth for not a LOT of money if you shop online a bit.

Grimmy

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a question about watering and I decided to post Here so other people who are new to the hobby can see, as they might have the same questions or be in the same predicament. I have a day job, so during the summer, during the hottest part of the day, I won't be home to water my trees. I'll have to water them in the morning before I go to work and then again when I get home (if they need it) there is no way I can set up a self watering system, so thats out of the question. What are some things I can do to insure my roots won't dry out completely or burn while I'm at work. Cover the soil with sphagnum moss? Use smaller particle size in my substrate and maybe have more organics in my mix? Most of the material I have, likes full sun.but should I find a place to put certain trees where, maybe they'll be shaded out most of the day? Its hard to find a place that not full sun or full shade all day. Hard to find an in between spot. What are you guys thoughts on this? Do I have good ideas? Will they work? Thanks! BTW at least half of my material will still be planted in potting soil, so they should be fine. Sometimes only needing water, every other day in the middle of summer,

I had to build an arbor and use a shade cloth in the hot months... This may not fit everyones budget alternately you can use bigger pots...deeper pots.... None of my trees are in actual finished pots...I only use a pot if I know I am going to show a tree. Deeper pot buys you more time.

James

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could always just get a standard roll on the cheap and experiment using various layers offset a bit but honest you can get shade cloth for not a LOT of money if you shop online a bit.

Grimmy

I havent really looked seriously yet but I probably would be more comfortable getting something with a known shade rating anyway. Just thought the window screen was an interesting idea.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I havent really looked seriously yet but I probably would be more comfortable getting something with a known shade rating anyway. Just thought the window screen was an interesting idea.

It really is an interesting idea and in certain applications like when Smoke uses screening to develop movement in seedlings(much less able to flex). The real shade cloth I use has a lot of other benefits because you can get a wide crazy amount of different percent, colors, and it is easy to work with. At this new place I will be mounting it in a fashion that will allow me to roll it out when needed much like those retractable awnings. Another item to consider is roll up bamboo blinds just your get your gears spinning :p

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Me? :) If so I live in Maryland

James

You live close to me then I am in the South East portion of Bucks County in PA, probably 6b as well or?

Grimmy

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You live close to me then I am in the South East portion of Bucks County in PA, probably 6b as well or?

Grimmy

Man I am very clost to PA. My buddy and I are always running up to Doyles...We all should shake hands at some points. Love my fellow bonsai friends

James

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
yeah be careful with some of that stuff. Its a slippery slope trying to protect your trees from the sun. The weaker the tree gets health wise the more susceptible it is to burn damage. My friend was constantly battling winds and sun in the valley here in Southern California. He put up stuff like the tan stuff shown in the link above, that didnt work so he put towels on his soil surface, that didnt work, he misted his trees 5 times a day, that didnt work. Ultimately I think he created a very stagnant stiffling enviroment for his trees and almost lost some really nice ones. A little bit of shade from some of the lighter stuff should be more than adequate for healthy trees.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
yeah be careful with some of that stuff. Its a slippery slope trying to protect your trees from the sun. The weaker the tree gets health wise the more susceptible it is to burn damage. My friend was constantly battling winds and sun in the valley here in Southern California. He put up stuff like the tan stuff shown in the link above, that didnt work so he put towels on his soil surface, that didnt work, he misted his trees 5 times a day, that didnt work. Ultimately I think he created a very stagnant stiffling enviroment for his trees and almost lost some really nice ones. A little bit of shade from some of the lighter stuff should be more than adequate for healthy trees.

I've never used more than 30%, myself - and just for mid-day sun. 70% does seem pretty high.

- Scott

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'll look into the window screening and maybe I'll be be able to find some shade cloth online.. So is there a percentage I should be looking for? Or it just depends?

Top Bottom