Summer Heat Tips

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Okay everyone Summer is officially here. We had the coolest June in history with an average high of only 99F. Well, here it comes for real. Single-digit humidity (it was 4% today) and temps will be well north of 110F this next week. Sounds like certain death for your trees right? Trust me it can happen. I have lost as many as 50 in a single day before, but that was many years ago. So what do we do about this? There are a few things. Please, as you interact with this thread, post the tips and tricks that you use to protect your trees.

1) Afternoon shade -- This is likely the most important thing you can do. As much shade after 10 AM as possible. In the past, I have had an area covered with shade cloth. This is ideal if you have the space. I no longer do.
2) Fast draining pots & soil -- This ranks right up with the first one as if you have any standing water in your pots in this heat, your roots will literally boil. Damp not wet is the key.
3) Multiple waterings -- This helps a lot! However, see #2 your pot must drain quickly. This does two things, cool the root zone and supply oxygen to the roots.
4) Beware of reflected heat -- This is a real problem. In Arizona sidewalks, block walls, stucco, and even landscape rocks get ridiculously hot and stay that way for hours even after sundown.
5) Shelter from drying wind if possible -- Nothing is sadder than starting the day with a healthy tree and coming home from work to see a stick with potato chips for leaves.
6) Bunch your trees together as tightly as possible without damaging them -- This one is only for occasional and emergency use as you will have all kinds of issues arising from poor airflow but in a pinch, this can be a lifesaver as the trees shelter each other and help maintain some humidity.

There you go a quick and dirty list off the top of my head. Feel free to jump in with your tricks!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I am sure I forgot tons of things but one thing I forgot that is important is plants effectively go dormant at about 95-100F so treat them accordingly.
Also, beware of black plastic nursery pots they get super hot and hold quite a bit of water. Tip them up at a bit of an angle to help the water drain and try to shade them as much as possible.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Trouble getting my head around this concept.
2) Fast draining pots & soil -- This ranks right up with the first one as if you have any standing water in your pots in this heat, your roots will literally boil. Damp not wet is the key.

How does standing water literally boil? Boiling point is fixed at 212F (with slight adjustments for altitude) so does this mean that temps inside the pots reach 212F? Why does standing water boil while moisture doesn't? To me both are forms of water and should reach similar temps when exposed to similar conditions.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Trouble getting my head around this concept.

How does standing water literally boil? Boiling point is fixed at 212F (with slight adjustments for altitude) so does this mean that temps inside the pots reach 212F? Why does standing water boil while moisture doesn't? To me both are forms of water and should reach similar temps when exposed to similar conditions.
Well no need to get overly pedantic. Actually boiling may be a bit of an exaggeration, maybe I should have said cooked. Would that be better and easier to wrap your head around? When it's 120+ and you have a black nursery pot that is holding water, can we settle on steamed?

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wish I would have had this insight in April. I've lost a cotoneaster, plum seedlings and probably a mugo nursery plant. Not to mention a number of new branch die offs in other species. 70% shade cloth and shade after noon has helped but the concrete, rock walls and hot winds are taking their toll.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bury some pots/mound soil over and around them when it gets exceptionally hot. Similar to how one might protect roots in winter.

Thin/dark colored pots get wood or other objects positioned around them to block direct sun exposure. Trees in thick wooden containers (homemade, 2x4s) appear to have fewer issues with the heat.

Developing trees with shallower roots get a thick top dressing of moss (if not already there).

And then of course, there’s the shuffling of trees to different locations throughout the day.

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've made several sand trays for my smaller trees. Pots embedded in sand keeps the sun off, and the sand stays wet much longer after watering. 104 F yesterday, 110 F today and tomorrow.

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What I do
(Kid safe, bleached ) Sand trays for shohin / mame smaller trees..or bury in extra pumice flat
move stuff closer in shade for afternoon sun( in a spot morning sun can be ample)
old white wet tshirt to cover pot/ soil on a hot day.
Watering under benches.
Morning watering and misting (if applicable)
Shade cloth hoop for sun sensitive stuff
Aluminum foil around black nursery cans

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
These are all great tips on what to do when you know heat is gonna be an issue. Particularly about afternoon heat vs morning heat.

I'm curious if you have any tips for figuring out if it's gonna be an issue, besides just checking the forecast. anything to look for in the soil, the trees?

This is my first summer with trees. I'm going to preemptively get them out of the wind, as they're on the roof, and I think an umbrella in the corner where most my trees are is the best bet for shade up there.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
These are all great tips on what to do when you know heat is gonna be an issue. Particularly about afternoon heat vs morning heat.

I'm curious if you have any tips for figuring out if it's gonna be an issue, besides just checking the forecast. anything to look for in the soil, the trees?

This is my first summer with trees. I'm going to preemptively get them out of the wind, as they're on the roof, and I think an umbrella in the corner where most my trees are is the best bet for shade up there.
One thing is for a windy spot you will want to secure them so they don't blow off wherever you have them. One of our members uses bungee cords. I'm not sure where you are but it also depends on the species you have.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Well no need to get overly pedantic. Actually boiling may be a bit of an exaggeration, maybe I should have said cooked. Would that be better and easier to wrap your head around? When it's 120+ and you have a black nursery pot that is holding water, can we settle on steamed?
Words are important, especially on internet forum where newer growers read and make assumptions from posts by more experienced members.

The real point is that water does not 'boil' or 'steam' at ambient temperatures and that there should be no real difference between standing water and water held as moisture in soil. IMHO both those concepts are in our minds rather than reality which then leads to taking unnecessary countermeasures.
Water is actually a great cooler. Consider the concept of evaporative air conditioning which has been used extensively to cool both food and homes for centuries. Does extra available water 'boil' and create problems or does it act as a cooler? There's plenty of research that shows plants use transpiration of water through leaves to help cool themselves. The corollary of that should mean that plenty of available water will help plants cope with hot weather.

I do not like at Colorado altitudes but do regularly experience summer temps well over 100F. I find the best defense against heat for my bonsai is plenty of available water. IMHO water helps rather than causes problems in summer.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nuclear reactors use water to cool them so yeah, water has a cooling effect.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Words are important, especially on internet forum where newer growers read and make assumptions from posts by more experienced members.

The real point is that water does not 'boil' or 'steam' at ambient temperatures and that there should be no real difference between standing water and water held as moisture in soil. IMHO both those concepts are in our minds rather than reality which then leads to taking unnecessary countermeasures.
Water is actually a great cooler. Consider the concept of evaporative air conditioning which has been used extensively to cool both food and homes for centuries. Does extra available water 'boil' and create problems or does it act as a cooler? There's plenty of research that shows plants use transpiration of water through leaves to help cool themselves. The corollary of that should mean that plenty of available water will help plants cope with hot weather.

I do not like at Colorado altitudes but do regularly experience summer temps well over 100F. I find the best defense against heat for my bonsai is plenty of available water. IMHO water helps rather than causes problems in summer.
How bout these words. Go pound sand. I'm giving advice for people based on 25 years of growing in temps as high as 56C if you have nothing constructive to add, go find some traffic to play in. I'm trying to help folks and you want to argue. Just go away. You could actually try reading what I wrote and engaging intelligently if you wish. Otherwise, save it.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
So there are a couple of people who are not understanding what we deal with in Arizona so here's a fun little video to help.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
If you cant erect shade netting or cloth perhaps you could also keep your trees in the shadow of buldings and sheltered from wind during heatwave conditions eg close to a north facing walls. Dont use black plastic pots.
Ceramic/clay pots will be cooler
Simplest answer would be more sustainable and to select tree species best suited to your climate though I guess that would leave you with a very limited choice in some places!!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
If you cant erect shade netting or cloth perhaps you could also keep your trees in the shadow of buldings and sheltered from wind during heatwave conditions eg close to a north facing walls. Dont use black plastic pots.
Ceramic/clay pots will be cooler
Simplest answer would be more sustainable and to select tree species best suited to your climate though I guess that would leave you with a very limited choice in some places!!
Mine are currently on the east side of my house and are shaded after about 11 so it's not optimal but pretty good.

Top Bottom