Starting My Poison Ivy Over Again

I think you do have poison ivy.
After googling “Juvenile leaves on poison ivy” and looking at several images, I’m realizing your assessment may be the correct one!

Just to be safe, I’m gonna hold off licking my plant until some mature foliage appears later this summer.

Proof of life. I don’t know specifically about girth…although I’ve never had a reaction, I’m not about to skip through a field of it. But yeah, we have ivy.

Attachments

• IMG_7759.jpeg
    IMG_7759.jpeg
    508.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7756.jpeg
    IMG_7756.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7755.jpeg
    IMG_7755.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 43
FWIW, this stuff removes the Urushiol oil --which causes the irritation and insane itchingf rom exposure to poison ivy/oak/sumac-- also a bonus a tip earned from a bad case of this -- NEVER take a warm/hot shower after being exposed to poison ivy. It helps spread the oil...

Also, for those who think they are "immune" to poison ivy--you ain't, you're just not allergic to it yet. Repeated exposure can bring on the immune response of the itching and irritation. My dad had never had a case, even though he was out in the woods a lot. Then one year, he managed to catch an ax across his leg while clearing the stuff. That wound basically injected poison ivy into his blood, which carried it through out his body over a week or so. Back then doctors made house calls and my dad was laid up in bed basically in agony. He asked the doc what it would take to cure his suffering. "'bout two weeks" was the response. Dad was allergic to it after that experience.

FWIW, this stuff removes the Urushiol oil --which causes the irritation and insane itchingf rom exposure to poison ivy/oak/sumac-- also a bonus a tip earned from a bad case of this -- NEVER take a warm/hot shower after being exposed to poison ivy. It helps spread the oil...

Also, for those who think they are "immune" to poison ivy--you ain't, you're just not allergic to it yet. Repeated exposure can bring on the immune response of the itching and irritation. My dad had never had a case, even though he was out in the woods a lot. Then one year, he managed to catch an ax across his leg while clearing the stuff. That wound basically injected poison ivy into his blood, which carried it through out his body over a week or so. Back then doctors made house calls and my dad was laid up in bed basically in agony. He asked the doc what it would take to cure his suffering. "'bout two weeks" was the response. Dad was allergic to it after that experience.

The severity of the allergic reaction will also get worse with subsequent repeated exposure.

I've used Tecnu, it works wonders.
Awesome stuff

My husband used to work outside when he was younger. He could walk right through it and never get it. After he stopped working outside for a decade or 2, he started to get it...a little. It loves me, I can't get near it or I'll break out

I think you do have poison ivy.
Leaves aren’t opposite so, I’ve ruled out Paperbark Maple & Box Elder.
I still won’t be convinced that it’s poison ivy until I either break out in a rash or I see that extended petiole on the center leaflet.

Now, I’m leaning toward the juvenile form of Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata)
FullSizeRender.jpeg

I still won’t be convinced that it’s poison ivy until I either break out in a rash or I see that extended petiole on the center leaflet.
I did just read that the center leaflet is longer than the other two on poison ivy and yours does appear to be shorter, so I see what you're saying with your example. I'm still leaning towards poison ivy though.

The leaf margins are still going to be confusing to distinguish until the new growth matures I guess. Wait for a bud to develop at the tip, and that should answer your question!

We have some massive poison ivy at the edges of our property, that was allowed to grow there by previous owners. Shoots are forever coming up at the bases of trees, so birds must really love the stuff. I wish an army of non-allergic bonsai enthusiasts would come dig it all up; I'm allergic to it and hate having to be so vigilant.

Wouldn't dream of trying to do anything with it but glove and bag my hands any time I have to dig some up.

I did just read that the center leaflet is longer than the other two on poison ivy and yours does appear to be shorter, so I see what you're saying with your example. I'm still leaning towards poison ivy though.

The leaf margins are still going to be confusing to distinguish until the new growth matures I guess. Wait for a bud to develop at the tip, and that should answer your question!
You would think someone involved in bonsai would have more patience.

It’s kind of like finding a big red button labeled “End of the World Button” . . . part of me wants to push it just to see what happens.
I keep thinking, “Just rub one leaf on the back of one of your hands, if you break out in a rash, you’ll know!”

. . . then I sober up.

Leaves of three, let it be. Think I learned that in cub scouts 40+ years ago. I could walk out back and grab you one, but I learned a saying 40+ years ago. :)
Applies to collecting plants for bonsai- leaves of three (poison ivy and Acer negundo), leave it be!

Holy crap! Never even considered a sumac!
That looks like a definite maybe!

Could be a fragrant sumac, mine has a strong smell when I prune it.

Sergio has a nice one:

My first house was located in northern Bristol County and we bought it in late October back in the late 90's. The following spring- probably early to mid April, I had the bright idea to clear some of the woods bordering the lawn in the back to build a Japanese garden to compliment my baby bonsai collection. All that remained after removing the sugar maple volunteers and leaf litter was a thick mat of leafless interwoven vines... 💩. Ripped that stuff out bare-handed, too. About a week later, I found myself scratching my hands bloody while I slept and this went on for almost 2 weeks- so now I know every part of the vine, including the woody vine itself and the roots, contain the allergen. This was about the time when I saw new shiny maroonish trifoliate foliage pushing from the roots- 💩💩💩. I spent the next few years trying to kill that patch... pretty sure it's still there over 25 years later but you can bet your ass the Japanese garden isn't! While I appreciate both the spring and fall foliage that PI offers, I've found practicing the bonsai hobby as I have to be painful and stressful enough:D.

I agree it doesn't look like my fragrant sumac, the leaves look like poison ivy to me. On the new leaves does the central leaflet have a little stem at the base?

Back
Top Bottom