Starting My Poison Ivy Over Again

Unfortunately, my town’s Conservation Department already views me as an adversary. Not because of anything I’ve done but, because I have an oyster farm and if they had their way, they’d drive me off the tidal flat tomorrow. I wade through a sea of poison ivy (up on the beach) whenever I walk out onto my grant but, I don’t have the testicular fortitude to dig any out. It’s a conservation area and the last thing I need is someone seeing me digging up the flora.

Unfortunately, my town’s Conservation Department already views me as an adversary. Not because of anything I’ve done but, because I have an oyster farm and if they had their way, they’d drive me off the tidal flat tomorrow. I wade through a sea of poison ivy (up on the beach) whenever I walk out onto my grant but, I don’t have the testicular fortitude to dig any out. It’s a conservation area and the last thing I need is someone seeing me digging up the flora.
That’s unfortunate. I also would not mess with them, and I don’t have an oyster farm.

Here in Nothern Cali, ivy cousin poison oak puts on a singularly beautiful fall color show among mostly evergreen native plants. Tempted, but cautioned.
Photo thanks to somebody's pinterest...
View attachment 547047
You people are NUTS! I've had rashes from both poison Ivy (on the East Coast) and poison oak (on the West Coast). Poison Oak is much deadlier than the ivy variety, but I wouldn't collect either with a gun to my head. Had to have a cortisone shot once from a poison oak infection. YUCK!!!

poison oak puts on a singularly beautiful fall color show among mostly evergreen native plants.
My God, that’s beautiful. I can’t stop looking at it!
Thanks a lot . . . now I want a poison oak also!

I sure hope I don’t get a reaction to urushiol.

Poison Ivy is a decent candidate for bonsai. It has amazing fall colors and also produces fruit. It is perhaps considered "novelty" but that's merely because it's obviously difficult to work with - and on that a word of caution.

If you choose to work with it, you need to protect all exposed areas of your skin - not just your hands. You also should wear an effective mask/respirator.

When you cut into it the allergen (which I believe is an oil but would need to confirm) can easily reach your skin and also be inhaled into the lungs.

It is worth noting you can build a very strong resistance to poison Ivy with gradual exposure to the plant. Some people even go as far as ingesting the new leaves on an increasing basis - this is actually an ancient technique.

You can never be "immune" but you can be resistant. When I used to spend many days in the woods I built a resistance through constant exposure and never suffered despite brushing into and bushwhacking through deciduous forests in Illinois.

If you collect one I'd aim for a medium sized trunk of 1-2" diameter. The very large stumps I have found will die back to base but I may have just been unlucky.

Grows like crazy here. Big trees of it. I don't care what kind of colors it turns in the winter. Poison ivy LOVES me. I can't get anywhere near it so that is one plant I'll not touch.

I'll stick with my burning bush and maples for nice fall color...lol

Last edited:
You people are NUTS!
Well, I'm tempted, but temptation, if resisted will flee. One advantage to bonsai is I can have world of fall color on my apartment balcony. Fall is the best time to hike here in on the coast. The poison oak sents out the brilliant warning beacon against dusty gold or dark green foliage. I'll admire from afar.

@Colorado You mean besides them looking badass?

Ha, ha!

Honestly, I wasn’t trying to bait anyone. At best, I was hoping for someone to respond with a sincere, “Hey, I’ve got one you can have!”

I want one mostly for the Autumn foliage color but, partially for the novelty. I keep a few vining species on my benches (Kadsura, Virginia Creeper, Boston Ivy, Climbing Hydrangea, Asian Bittersweet, Porcelain berry, and Hardy Kiwi.) I guess that I like the look of woody vines scattered among my trees.
You can always have help wiring it too with someone your not crazy about 😂

I’m just up the highway from the cape and I have so much I’ve considered renting a goat. It’s definitely around.
If you ever find a girthy one, let me know and I will come take it away for you.

(Poison Ivy . . . not a girthy goat)

Last edited:
I have probably have over an acre of it scattered around my yard and in my woods down in CT. Never bothered to remove it specifically because no one in my family is allergic to it. I’d be surprised if we didn’t have some gnarly ones somewhere on the property. I’ll keep my eye out the next time I’m frolicking in the woods.

I have probably have over an acre of it scattered around my yard and in my woods down in CT. Never bothered to remove it specifically because no one in my family is allergic to it. I’d be surprised if we didn’t have some gnarly ones somewhere on the property. I’ll keep my eye out the next time I’m frolicking in the woods.
Maybe I can bring you something you don’t have as a trade.

Maybe I can bring you something you don’t have as a trade.
I’d feel real bad taking anything in exchange for poison ivy hahaha.

I’ll take a look this weekend and grab some photos if I find anything worth finding. If there’s something there you want, you can have as much as you want free of charge. 😂

This morning, I was checking out the emerging foliage when I realized that I didn’t have a poison ivy after all.
Hard to tell from your first pic, but this plant looks to have an alternate leaf arrangement. Maples are opposite. I think you do have poison ivy.

Also I remembered hearing Acer griseum's seeds are supposedly sterile, so chances may be slim it's a volunteer from one.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from your first pic, but this plant looks to have an alternate leaf arrangement. Maples are opposite. I think you do have poison ivy.
You’re right, they do seem to be arranged alternate. I was going to take a closer look at that when it stopped raining. The thing that convinced me that it wasn’t poison ivy was the middle leaflet petioles, which mine is lacking.FullSizeRender.jpeg
I know that there is a lot of variation in poison ivy but, I thought that center petiole was a constant.IMG_8544.jpeg
Also I remembered hearing Acer griseum's seeds are supposedly sterile, so chances may be slim it's a volunteer from one.
I hadn’t heard that.

I’ve ordered Acer griseum seeds from both FW Schumacher & Sheffield’s Seeds and have successfully germinated them. Although those trees are way ahead of this little mystery seedling, they are still too young to tell if they will be true to seed (exfoliating bark) . . . but, I have no reason to believe that they won’t.

Back
Top Bottom