Species Study - Taxodium distichum

I want to share with y'all my care regime for collected BCs.
  1. Once the tree is home, I cut the root base to 4-5" thick with a saw and use a chopping knife to cut the perimeter to fit the bus tub. Of course, you don't have to be crazy like me and use that huge chopper. A sharp pruner is probably better anyway. I also prune away most of the branches up top unless I see one that suitable for bonsai. Note that they seldom are, those low branches are difficult to wire in place; they return to their previous shapes once the wire is removed.
  2. I pick out the big chunks of clay or mud that cling to the root ball then rinse the root ball off. Then I gently pick off any weeds or other vegetation growing on top of the root ball. I took care to disturb that shallow layer of roots as little as possible. There will be plenty of time to remove the rest of the mud/clay during repot.
  3. I put down a 2" layer of potting soil at the bottom of the bus tub and gently fit the tree in. Then I pour potting soil on top, and chop stick it in tight.
  4. I set the tree in a shaded area. For me it is my back covered porch facing North. The porch gets 1/2-1 hour of very early morning sun and 1/2-1 hour of very late setting sun. Other than that, it is all indirect sunlight.
  5. I drill a hole on the side of the bus tub right below the soil level then fill the tub with water. I refill the tub every day.
  6. Budding should begin in 2-6 weeks. About 10% of them will be stubborn and won't bud until 6-12 weeks. Under indirect sunlight, the buds grow fast and will be very deep green.
  7. When the tree is full of new shoots that are 8" long or more, I transition the tree to a spot on the east side of my house that gets 3-4 hours of morning sun. If I am out of space, I put the tree at the west side of the house. The tree then gets 3-4 hours of afternoon sun.
  8. Once the trees are out in the sun, I fertilize them once every two weeks with Osmocotes plus. Every now and then I give it some fish fertilizer.
  9. The trees will stay in their 3-4 hours sun place for 3 months before I move them out to full sun and most likely into my swamp box :)
With that care regime, in one year I am able to get the BCs into strong conditions for any bonsai treatment.
PS: In a lot of cases, within 6 months, my trees already get bonsai treatment such as trunk carving at the chop site etc. anyway. In a few cases, they may even get their bottom split :D

When the seeds sprout they send out what looks like 5(?) Needles, they aren't true BC foliage thought which is more feathered in appearance. Not my pic but this is what I consider "false needles". You can see the cender bud where growth will extend from.
Oh nice thank you for that

thats sweet man maybe i can work out a smaller setup like that... only i live in WNC not sure what the winter would be like for something like that
When I move to PA, I plan to reconstruct the set up. In the winter, I will open the drain and drain the box completely then fill the box with mulch to winter them in.
BTW right now some of the trees are in tall pots, they will all be cut low.

mosquito dunk won't harm the trees?
nice
Mosquito dunks use Bacillus thuringiensis (or Bt), a bacteria that attacks insect larva. It affects only the mosquito larva in the water and nothing else. The larva eat the fungal spores produced by the bacteria and those spores destroy their gut.

Making the cuts
IMG_3049.jpeg
IMG_3050.jpeg

Putting a bit of vaseline into the cuts.
IMG_3051.jpeg
IMG_3052.jpeg

Bending the trunk until vaseline all oozes out and the gaps close.
IMG_3053.jpeg
IMG_3054.jpeg
IMG_3055.jpeg

Electrical vinyl tape sticky side out. Tree put in the shade to recover.
IMG_3056.jpeg

What’s the purpose of the vaseline? It seems like it would be counterproductive to me.

What’s the purpose of the vaseline? It seems like it would be counterproductive to me.
It could be counter productive. I thought I heard Walter Pall mentioned the use of vaseline on pine on wedge cut so I tried it. We will see in a few weeks whether the top of this tree survive this treatment.

I spent $40 for a 10 ft x 15 ft 20 mil HDPE pond liner and $10 for a stainless steel automatic level valve. 1 sheet of reclaimed plywood and some scrap lumber were also used to construct a 8ft x 13 ft swamp box that holds many BCs. I won’t have to worry about those BCs when I travel for sure.
View attachment 558841View attachment 558842
On a sunny day, 34 BC trees will draw almost 2 inches of water from the swamp box!!
As much as I watered my BCs before, I realize why the BC turn bronze in the summer. The trees in the box perk up within a day of being dunked.

I have often recommended against chopping juvenile BCs. These grow back so fast and all you get is a reverse taper at the chop and the cuttop will be just like the old top.

For the example below, soon the largest branches will be once again chopped. a small
Branch will be promoted to the new apex.
IMG_3082.jpeg

Last edited:
Making the cuts
View attachment 559078
View attachment 559079

View attachment 559080
View attachment 559081

View attachment 559082
View attachment 559083
View attachment 559084

View attachment 559085
No wilting after 24 hours. Good sign.
IMG_3103.jpeg

Making the cuts
View attachment 559078
View attachment 559079

View attachment 559080
View attachment 559081

View attachment 559082
View attachment 559083
View attachment 559084

View attachment 559085
The plan is to chop this tree next year a few inches above the bend and develop a new apex. Pretty much the entire straight trunk will be gone. At that same time the base will be split to develop the nebari. I think it is already pretty decent under the soil, but we will see.

I have often recommended against chopping juvenile BCs. These grow back so fast and all you get is a reverse taper at the chop and the cuttop will be just like the old top.

For the example below, soon the largest branches will be once again chopped. a small
Branch will be promoted to the new apex.
View attachment 559397
Biggest 3 shoots chopped and new apex set.
IMG_3105.jpeg

I was looking at the bald cypress in our parking lot and noticed it had a big chunk of bark taken out of it. Looking closely, I suspect this is sap. I’ve never heard of bald cypress bleeding sap before.

IMG_1735.jpeg
IMG_1734.jpeg
IMG_1733.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom