Species Study - Taxodium distichum

I would like to see the difference 😏
On land they grow fast. Big trunks with slight taper.
IMG_2731.jpeg

In water out in open with full sun. Short, big base, big taper all the way to the top.
IMG_3002.png

In water having to compete with near by tall pine trees. Very tall. Big base that taper thin within a few feet then little taper all the way to the top.IMG_2841.jpegIMG_3001.jpeg

Add hurricane damages that break any tree of those 3 types somewhere on the trunk and grow out a flat top and your have most of the variations of BCs.

Add hotter sun, swamp with poor sandy soil and you have the typical Florida BC tremendous taper and sparse top.

Last edited:
I spent half an hour this morning examining the BCs sitting on my back porch. Except for a tiny bit of early morning and late afternoon sun, all they get are indirect light. However, the heat and humidity together make my back porch act like a black back our friends from the other side of the pond suggest for yamadori. All the trees I collected in June are budding hard. Zero loss for that month. We'll see about July next month. The 4 dead collected BCs this year were all collected early in the spring (1 in January, 2 in February, and 1 in March). This is different than conventional recommendation for collection. So far, all the trees I kept away from the intense drying sunlight by putting them in the shade are thriving.

I spent half an hour this morning examining the BCs sitting on my back porch. Except for a tiny bit of early morning and late afternoon sun, all they get are indirect light. However, the heat and humidity together make my back porch act like a black back our friends from the other side of the pond suggest for yamadori. All the trees I collected in June are budding hard. Zero loss for that month. We'll see about July next month. The 4 dead collected BCs this year were all collected early in the spring (1 in January, 2 in February, and 1 in March). This is different than conventional recommendation for collection. So far, all the trees I kept away from the intense drying sunlight by putting them in the shade are thriving.
Correction!!!!
3 dead BC - not 4.
The one in February just budded today :)

I have a theory that they're playing dead, because they see what's going on in your backyard. 🤣
Could be. All of them have had their heads and all their limbs chopped off. Now I am in the habit of splitting their sides and put wooden stakes in there. Then I wire them in contorted postures. A lot of them have had experienced with hurricanes, now I am making them relive their nightmares by forcing them to grow flat tops. I am even using chainsaw to churn their innards. What's not to fear?

What are false needles?
When the seeds sprout they send out what looks like 5(?) Needles, they aren't true BC foliage thought which is more feathered in appearance. Not my pic but this is what I consider "false needles". You can see the cender bud where growth will extend from.

Attachments

• iolgf4tkgdl81.jpg
    iolgf4tkgdl81.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 6
I have a theory that they're playing dead, because they see what's going on in your backyard. 🤣
You may have a point. The number of dead BC is now 2. On the back side of a tree collected in January, thought to be surely dead, is this tiny shoot.
IMG_3026.jpeg

Nice! Patience pays off. Put the other two "dead" fakers in the front yard and they'll wake up next. :)
The Vietnamese farmers sometimes take their machetes and lightly chop the trunks of trees that don’t fruit to encourage them. Perhaps I will turn on my new favorite mini chain saw 😄

I spent $40 for a 10 ft x 15 ft 20 mil HDPE pond liner and $10 for a stainless steel automatic level valve. 1 sheet of reclaimed plywood and some scrap lumber were also used to construct a 8ft x 13 ft swamp box that holds many BCs. I won’t have to worry about those BCs when I travel for sure.
IMG_3045.jpegIMG_3046.jpeg

That has never been a problem. A mosquito dunk or a few drops of bifenthrin is all it takes.
Oh, ok. I was curious, as mosquitoes are a minor issue here. Although I'm sure next week will see a population explosion. IT'S RAINING!
dramatic fist pump to the sky

Back
Top Bottom