Some photos from the Belgian Bonsai Trophy - yesterday.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I visited the 2024 Belgian Bonsai Trophy yesterday in Genk in Belgium

Here's a link to an album of photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/norbury/albums/72177720314859878/

The first are of the (literally massive) sales areas and then there are photos of the exhibition/competition itself.

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. Traders area and expo look brilliant. Some good value raw material for all budgets on offer I thought, looks like you got some bargain pots as well. Akadama/kiryu/kanuma half the price of the UK šŸ˜­

Man...Really impressive show, the vendor area is to die for.....Prices seem a lot more reasonable than the States too. I would be in sooooo much debt if I was there lol. Thanks for sharing Jeremy.

Man...Really impressive show, the vendor area is to die for.....Prices seem a lot more reasonable than the States too. I would be in sooooo much debt if I was there lol. Thanks for sharing Jeremy.
This year prices were through-away your collection and buy new level. One of the MAIN bonsai growers / bonsai artists (Danny use, Ginkgo Bonsai, Belgium) is clearing his nursery and all trees for sale were at half regular-value. Many traders were unhappy. Besides this, Bonsai Plaza had some trees for ridiculous prices too.

I could not resist the temptation either.

Over a thousand people, I would estimate - they had over a thousand last year.

I learnt my lesson from last year - if you bought tickets online you ended up in a 45 minute queue to get in...but if you just showed up at the door with cash, 5 minutes.

By the way - here's what I bought: https://www.flickr.com/photos/norbury/albums/72177720314877066/
Thanks for sharing the photos Jerry! How do you deal with bringing plants back to the UK?

This year prices were through-away your collection and buy new level. One of the MAIN bonsai growers / bonsai artists (Danny use, Ginkgo Bonsai, Belgium) is clearing his nursery and all trees for sale were at half regular-value. Many traders were unhappy. Besides this, Bonsai Plaza had some trees for ridiculous prices too.

Can I just add another... šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸŒ³šŸ’²

Glad you had a good time and hope your demos went well!

The prices and the quality and quantity make one feel like a kid in the candy store.
Couldn't agree more. There's a picture of what has to be a very, very nice imported Korean Hornbeam, price less than 3000 Euros. Stateside, it would easily be twice that. I believe there's fewer hoops for our European friends to jump through to import material like this, and the reduced cost may reflect this, but still, I'm floored at relative low cost of what appears to be be very high quality material. I could wander that sales area for days...

I think this is the first time I've seen a displayed tree with a guy being hung by the neck! (page 3 of Jeremey's flickr, half way down). Most displays were pretty traditional, so that one really stands out.

What did you buy?

What did you buy?
No pics yet. But I did not want to buy any trees so I almost didn't

7-trunk yamadori scots prine raft (raw material), about 6ft diameter
1tf diameter trunked pfitzeriana juniper, grafted 2 ys ago with chinese juniper
New pot for my large Larch forest
Some small pots
Kaki - yes, picture somewhere in the atest purchase thread.

No pics yet. But I did not want to buy any trees so I almost didn't

7-trunk yamadori scots prine raft (raw material), about 6ft diameter
1tf diameter trunked pfitzeriana juniper, grafted 2 ys ago with chinese juniper
New pot for my large Larch forest
Some small pots
Kaki - yes, picture somewhere in the atest purchase thread.
I know I'll be buying so I don't even try to fool myself into believing I won't.

Small trees, then šŸ˜‚

I think this is the first time I've seen a displayed tree with a guy being hung by the neck! (page 3 of Jeremey's flickr, half way down). Most displays were pretty traditional, so that one really stands out.
I like art. But I do not really like political statements in a bonsai show. Call me old-fashioned.
I very much disliked the hint at past history by the use of flags of certain nationalities in the display.

Back
Top Bottom