Forgetting to take photos during work on trees

• Thread starter Deleted member 32750
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 32750

Does anyone else ever plan to take photos to document the work on their trees, but find themselves forgetting to do so?
This seems to happen to me a lot. Like I will forget to take a before photo, or will forget to capture a photo of a critical part of the work I am doing, or I might take a photo of the work being done on one tree and then when I go to work on the next tree, I forget to take a photo of that one.

cmu268

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Absolutely! I use OneNote to keep journals for my trees/garden and it helps me remember a little more than usual, but I seem to get so into the task at hand that I still forget to take some photos.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A lot of members here dont have progression threads on their trees, so that enthusiasm to update or keep a photo timeline just isnt there.
smartphones have extremely high quality cameras now, most people usually have them at hand all the time so its not hard really to take a few quick snaps, maybe you just couldnt be bothered😂
Theres also the fact that many members here have very young trees, that theyre not too comfortable with 'showing off' for whatever reasons.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I just did a couple of RORs for the new contest and completely forgot to take before pictures of the rock and trees before hand in my excitement. Even with the express intention of full documentation, I still forgot.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When my hands are a mess I usually don't want to dig in my pockets and handle my phone. That extra step of cleaning my hands seems to be a nearly insurmountable barrier.:rolleyes:
I usually have a flannel/towel at hand. phone is normally set to one side of me.
if im indoors my phone isnt usually stuck in my pocket😁

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For me, bonsai and photography use two different skill sets. When I am using one it is very difficult to switch to the other. So I am consistently neglectful of photographing my trees. Plus I hate touching my camera or smart phone with dirty hands--goes against life-long habits.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I hate touching the balcony door with dirty hands, its why I keep a towel at hand😁

D

Deleted member 32750

A lot of members here dont have progression threads on their trees, so that enthusiasm to update or keep a photo timeline just isnt there.
smartphones have extremely high quality cameras now, most people usually have them at hand all the time so its not hard really to take a few quick snaps, maybe you just couldnt be bothered😂
Theres also the fact that many members here have very young trees, that theyre not too comfortable with 'showing off' for whatever reasons.
I have my iphone in my pocket almost at all time and still forget.. I just get too focused on the work.
Documenting the progress of young material is important too as long as the work sets the stage for the future improvement of the tree. All bonsai start somewhere

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Its probably just because of my generation but taking good pictures, recording videos and such is out of my league or Im I just too lazy to do it..
Im only 39 and Im overwhelmed by all it takes to make a good video and the preparation plus equipment for a proper photoshoot!
I mainly do bonsai for myself, visitor at my home who enjoy potted trees and guys here on the forum. As you probably all know a picture of a tree and having it in front of you is way different.
Its funny because I enjoy looking at the videos and photos of people showing their trees and techniques. It makes good memorizes for trees that will follow you your whole life..
Maybe one day I will take time and do more than just a before-after work pictures!
One thing for sure is that it doesnt seems so much fun to take pictures and videos when doing bonsai alone!

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like bonsai care because it lets me get into a flow state. But that also means I forget to take pictures.

Pictures are the other reason I like to work on Bonsai.

So I'm at cross purposes with myself.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you could go all Nigel Saunders here and just document the entire process, or take a timelapse of the job. Either way, take some snapshots out of the video file and use that. Then you wont have to wash and dry hands each time for a photo.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone else ever plan to take photos to document the work on their trees, but find themselves forgetting to do so?
This seems to happen to me a lot. Like I will forget to take a before photo, or will forget to capture a photo of a critical part of the work I am doing, or I might take a photo of the work being done on one tree and then when I go to work on the next tree, I forget to take a photo of that one.
Do it all the time. But in the end the more important thing to me is just photographing the trees progress through the years. That doesn't necessarily need to be when I am doing the work

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm typically too dirty and in panic mode when repotting so don't often get a chance to take of a pic of the roots.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did it the other day. I usually have too many things on my plate to get done and don’t have time to fiddle with cleaning my hands and digging out the camera. I also have 2 video cameras for doing my YouTube channel but they are a pain to drag out and set up with tripod, etc. I used to write how-to books but the process of taking a photo then doing step 1, take another photo, do step 2 etc. cured me of writing how-to books.

Top Bottom