Some of my trees waking up very late this year.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
My Sharp's pygmy and coast live oak has not leafed out yet. I did a very light repot on the coast live oak, and did an up pot for the sharp's pygmy. Last year the coast live oak leafed out in January, and the sharp's in early march. Both seem to have some bud swelling going on, but nothing appears imminent of breaking yet.

Wondering if it's from all the extra rain/colder weather this year in California. Curious if anyone else has had this experience with all the crazy weather.

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm in 9b-10a area just north of the Everglades and I've got a cedar elm and royal poinciana that haven't pushed out buds yet. Some trees are definitely later than usual even in South Florida.

We just have to trust that stored energy will eventually push its way out!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Considering how warm and mild the winter was here, I'm surprised that mine did not start budding out early. They seem to be about on time. Not sure if anything is late yet as its not late here yet

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Everything is late up here (unless it’s in a greenhouse or cold frame. ).

For me it’s an advantage as we’ve had some family issues as all the cross country flights and times away have put us way behind our normal spring flight path. Today we planted a Dissectum Maple, dug up a JM and Sharps Pygmy and potted these then repotted a tormented cherry and a Bristlecone Pine. But the cold weather is finally breaking, which means run don’t walk for the next couple weeks!

Cheers
DSD sends

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some of mine are scary late too. Every single deciduous tree that overwintered on my balcony is super late -- I finally got a leaf on a trident maple forest much too my relief. I keep scratching to check the cambium out of paranoia

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All my trees were pushing new growth and buds elongating in mid-Feb. Cedar elms have been a bit strange. One budded early, the other late--although it's going wild now with yesterday's 90 F temps. Bald cypress was early, amur maples have been in leaf for a month, same for my Japanese and trident maples.

Top Bottom