Trees waking early-Avoiding the shuffle

Russ1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think cold wind, aka wind chill, is more important than just cold because it can dry out the new foliage or buds it can also damage roots.
I would protect them from the wind and extreme cold, I would cover them with clear or white plastic and use maybe 50% shade screen so they get some light.
The shade screen will also keep them cooler and more consistent temperature. On days and nights above 28f I would let air flow thru.
Which reminds me that I need to put the shade screen up on my unheated Greenhouse.
It definitely has been a challenging winter with inconsistent temps and not staying cool enough during the day... but I can't keep the shade screen on when it snows since it holds the snow and this year what snow we've had has been wet and heavy.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I think cold wind, aka wind chill, is more important than just cold because it can dry out the new foliage or buds it can also damage roots.
I would protect them from the wind and extreme cold, I would cover them with clear or white plastic and use maybe 50% shade screen so they get some light.
The shade screen will also keep them cooler and more consistent temperature. On days and nights above 28f I would let air flow thru.
Which reminds me that I need to put the shade screen up on my unheated Greenhouse.
It definitely has been a challenging winter with inconsistent temps and not staying cool enough during the day... but I can't keep the shade screen on when it snows since it holds the snow and this year what snow we've had has been wet and heavy.
A panel of burlap or fleece on the north side of the grow bed would be enough to block wind if it was really a concern. That's how people with too much money 'protect' evergreen hedges in the Midwest. In any case, all this seems unnecessary and causing more problems and stress than they solve.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry, I could have been more helpful. Even now it's not too late to just get rid of the tarp and let the trees wake up slowly with the season.
That’s what I suggested 😬. I’d only get the tarp back out if extreme cold is in the forecast or if the trees actually leaf out before oast is in the rearview mirror

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not sure if something like this would be helpful. Should keep the trees from freezing and still let sun in?

Attachments

• IMG_7548.png
    IMG_7548.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 8

TCEvan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Doesn't help right now, but in the future it would probably be better to build a frame thats several feet taller than your trees and just 4 posts in the corners. No walls at all, and put the shade cloth only on the roof of that frame. That way wind can easily flow between the shade cloth and ground, preventing it from turning into an accidental heat trap, and you can still shade the trees from sun thawing them out during the day.

You could even just put a post or 2 in the ground and string a shade between that big tree and the posts if that's a possibility.

In the meantime, remove the shade altogether because it appears to be having the opposite effect desired, i.e increasing heat instead of decreasing.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Doesn't help right now, but in the future it would probably be better to build a frame thats several feet taller than your trees and just 4 posts in the corners. No walls at all, and put the shade cloth only on the roof of that frame. That way wind can easily flow between the shade cloth and ground, preventing it from turning into an accidental heat trap, and you can still shade the trees from sun thawing them out during the day.

You could even just put a post or 2 in the ground and string a shade between that big tree and the posts if that's a possibility.

In the meantime, remove the shade altogether because it appears to be having the opposite effect desired, i.e increasing heat instead of decreasing.
The problem with this is during the winter, you want to protect from wind by blocking wind.

Wind+frozen roots = freeze dried tree.
A shade cloth that breathes and also cuts down on wind would be better for those super cold days than a tarp that traps heat.

This is why many landscape trees get wrapped in burlap for the winter, to prevent wind burn AKA freezer burn

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I kept my trees in a mulched in spot in my garden for the winter. I only have a south-facing area since I live in a condo so I covered with a tarp (silver side out to reflect sun) to block sunlight and left large open areas for air flow so they wouldn't overheat. Still got pretty warm in there but I knew I needed to shade them too so I kept the cover on. It has been incredibly warm here in Minnesota and winter is not over until mid-April which is when my trees usually wake up. I see some buds starting to swell and show green :(. I have 60 trees and I cannot shuffle them all inside and out of the garage. If they all start waking up in March should I try to make my cold storage into more of a greenhouse? Will layers of tarp be enough to keep them warm during cold nights? I can't stop worrying about them, as usual.:rolleyes:
you have a garage like the buildings in the background?

Moving them if they break leaves can be critical. Buds that show edges of leaves peeling away from the bud even by a little), means you will have to move them somewhere if freezing weather threatens, They will likely be fine where they are if temps don't get below 25 or so. You will probably get frost burn on leaves when they fully extend later, but that can be cosmetic. If temps get below 25, you're looking at more substantial damage if they're left outside. Once leaves have begun emerging from buds, the trees' roots have lost most of their ability to withstand freezing. The longer the deeper cold stays around, the greater danger of root damage as the mulch/soil freezes.

The shelter you have them in can prevent some of that, but moving them inside a warmer frost-free place is best to avoid substantial damage in that situation. No way around it, unfortunately. Moving trees to protect them in spring is part of the equation of keeping bonsai. I hate spring for that very reason. All of my trees are between 35-150 lbs a piece. Moving them requires quite an effort. Carts help. Having a substantial number of trees is a challenge.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Moving them if they break leaves can be critical. Buds that show edges of leaves peeling away from the bud even by a little), means you will have to move them somewhere if freezing weather threatens, They will likely be fine where they are if temps don't get below 25 or so. You will probably get frost burn on leaves when they fully extend later, but that can be cosmetic. If temps get below 25, you're looking at more substantial damage if they're left outside. Once leaves have begun emerging from buds, the trees' roots have lost most of their ability to withstand freezing. The longer the deeper cold stays around, the greater danger of root damage as the mulch/soil freezes.

The shelter you have them in can prevent some of that, but moving them inside a warmer frost-free place is best to avoid substantial damage in that situation. No way around it, unfortunately. Moving trees to protect them in spring is part of the equation of keeping bonsai. I hate spring for that very reason. All of my trees are between 35-150 lbs a piece. Moving them requires quite an effort. Carts help. Having a substantial number of trees is a challenge.
Looks like those buildings are across the street and belong to a neighbor.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like those buildings are across the street and belong to a neighbor.
Yes, I know, but given the OP lives in a condo, their building might be similar to the one next door and have a similar garage.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
. but I can't keep the shade screen on when it snows since it holds the snow and this year what snow we've had has been wet and heavy.
I hang my shade screen on the inside of my greenhouse, with small wire loops or zip ties to the aluminum framing. Just a suggestion. 😊

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

Yes, I have a small garage. I guess I will have to haul them in and out if it comes down to it. It annoys my husband, but oh well 🤷‍♀️

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, I have a small garage. I guess I will have to haul them in and out if it comes down to it. It annoys my husband, but oh well 🤷‍♀️
Get a new husband if that bugging him. There are more things to be annoying than moving a few trees in and out of the garage.

NotMarc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If these are trees that are hardy in Minnesota winters, why do they need this tarp arrangement in the first place? And if they are not hardy, a tarp wouldn't protect them from a deep prolonged freeze anyway. Why do they need to be shaded?
Shade to avoid southwest injury and a wind block (it looks like it's out in the open). OP just went a little overboard with the tarp on all sides.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure if something like this would be helpful. Should keep the trees from freezing and still let sun in?
I would not use this. These are used to bring spring earlier and grow delicate vegetables earlier in the year than safe. I try to keep my trees asleep as long as possible, so avoid anything that warms up during the day.

Once my trees start growing, there is not really a way to protect them for me. I can put abunch of them in a shed, but the bulk will just have to take what spring brings.

Top Bottom