Ramification on Acacia/Senegalia trees

Ramification on Acacia/Senegalia trees - is this really as difficult as it seems to me ?
Can you be more specific? Some senegalia have growth/leaves that are very similar to Texas ebony - and I haven't had any problem with developing ramification on Texas ebony...

hi Annalie
our acacias have an irregular growth pattern. They die back easily and don't always put branches out where you need them...
Stick with the tried + tested: galpinii, burkei + nigrescens...
grow them out to look like normal trees and they do great but when you try to get too fancy, things don't always go well...

Hi All,
I attach pictures of my 6 big Acacia galpini (apiesdoring) - 2 views from each side of each tree. I have to prune now and start on the ramification but I am struggling to get shorter internodes. To get the crown bigger by using wiring is a possibility but because of the thorns this is a nightmare !
Any suggestions on what I should try regarding getting shorter internodes.
My profile is not complete but I am in Centurion South Africa.

Attachments

• Acacia 1A.jpg
    Acacia 1A.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Acacia 6B.jpg
    Acacia 6B.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Acacia 6A.jpg
    Acacia 6A.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 15
  • Acacia 5B.jpg
    Acacia 5B.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Acacia 5A.jpg
    Acacia 5A.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Acacia 4B.jpg
    Acacia 4B.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Acacia 4A.jpg
    Acacia 4A.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Acacia 3B.jpg
    Acacia 3B.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Acacia 3A.jpg
    Acacia 3A.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Acacia 2B.jpg
    Acacia 2B.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Acacia 2A.jpg
    Acacia 2A.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Acacia 1B.jpg
    Acacia 1B.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 12
Hi All,
I attach pictures of my 6 big Acacia galpini (apiesdoring) - 2 views from each side of each tree. I have to prune now and start on the ramification but I am struggling to get shorter internodes. To get the crown bigger by using wiring is a possibility but because of the thorns this is a nightmare !
Any suggestions on what I should try regarding getting shorter internodes.
My profile is not complete but I am in Centurion South Africa.
Hi Annalie,

I keep cutting mine back every season ,wire in July month . Because i live in Johannesburg i put all my thorns away in a hot house to avoid any dieback.

Attachments

• B.jpg
    B.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 12
  • A.jpg
    A.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 20
Tree 1 and tree 4 I have a problem - it is asof the trees are rotting from the roots upwards - do you have any experience of what I can do to prevent or do something to fix this ?

Tree 1 and tree 4 I have a problem - it is asof the trees are rotting from the roots upwards - do you have any experience of what I can do to prevent or do something to fix this ?
I am not sure what type of soil you are using and also drainage holes as well as watering. I have not experienced any rotting . on my Acacia`s i use Akadama , Pumice and Lava Rock very free flowing soil that could be one of your problems.

Back
Top Bottom