So d*** mad

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
:mad:Today did not start well for me. I went out to check on my trees and discovered one of my favorite trees, a shohin shimpaku, has been stolen. This happened yesterday when we were not home. To make matters worse, in searching for photos of this tree, I found out my photos had not transferred from my old phone to my new phone. Also my Bonsai Album did not transfer over to the new phone. Now I am working with an IT guru to try to salvage photos from the old "dead" computer.

Lesson learned: Back up everything! Then back it up again!!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Too bad on the stuff getting stolen!
If it helps, I use a company called www.zenfolio.com , they charge me 60 bucks a year and I have all my fotos online... it has unlimited foto capability.
PLUS I have a hard drive in my wardrobe PLUS a copy in the storage of my building PLUS I don´t delete files from my computer untill these 3 other methods are secure. (I work in photography just in case).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Make sure it didn't get knocked under the bench somewhere. I'm sure you looked, but just on the off chance it was a critter messing with you.
That is really frustrating and somewhat surprising they went for the shohin. Usually the thieves target the big one for some reason.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry for your loss.

That is really frustrating and somewhat surprising they went for the shohin. Usually the thieves target the big one for some reason.

This may mean that they person who stole it knows bonsai. Someone who does not would likely assume the larger the tree more valuable it is. It also means that the person who stole it knows your collection and is possibly someone you know.

Good luck.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Make sure it didn't get knocked under the bench somewhere. I'm sure you looked, but just on the off chance it was a critter messing with you.

Yes, I searched everywhere--hoping a squirrel had knocked it over but no luck. There was no evidence of the tree being disturbed. Clearly looks as if someone picked it up.

Lately, I have been switching more to shohin because the larger trees are getting more difficult for me to handle. My goal is to build (in time) a 7 point shohin display and I have secured and/or trying to develop these trees. Currently have a pyracantha, azalea, olive, Kingsville, hinoki and , of course, the now missing tree. I have been trying to find a jbp at an affordable price point but no luck so far. Oh well, this setback will pass too.

I am thinking the culprit Is probably a youngster in the neighborhood. I had not shared this tree with my bonsai friends as of yet but had planned on taking this tree to our meeting next week.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That just stinks. Hope that the parents of the child thief (if that's what it is) learn what has happened before it's too late for the tree.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
That just stinks. Hope that the parents of the child thief (if that's what it is) learn what has happened before it's too late for the tree.

Me too, Judy!
And of course it had to be one of my better trees. There are several trees which would not have upset me--aggravated but not upset.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Have you thought about posting flyers or mentioning it to your neighbors? Best of luck to you!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to hear about the theft. Hope you can find it before whomever took it kills it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So sorry to hear Ron. That really sucks! It happened to me some years ago and suffice it to say it's such an awful feeling. I really hope your tree finds its way back to you.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I got my tree back tonight. It was a neighbor's child who took the tree. Unfortunately, he and his mom reported my tree. They even went out into the woods to collect moss. Reported into a 10" nursery pot. My friend, Brian Van Fleet, came over to help. Thank goodness for friends like Brian. He thinks we got to the tree in time. We are leaving town in the am heading up to the mountains and Brian offered to take this tree home with him.

Hope to see some of you in Asheviile.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I got my tree back tonight. It was a neighbor's child who took the tree. Unfortunately, he and his mom reported my tree. They even went out into the woods to collect moss. Reported into a 10" nursery pot. My friend, Brian Van Fleet, came over to help. Thank goodness for friends like Brian. He thinks we got to the tree in time. We are leaving town in the am heading up to the mountains and Brian offered to take this tree home with him.

Curious if he took it from the pot saying he "found it"? Why else repot it. Which I think you meant to say. He must sadly admire what you do. How old approximately would you put the kid?

Glad you got it back...and for friends like Brian!

tolz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good Rebound

Ron

Good people in Bonsai! Brian is one of the best.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Glad the tree was recovered; it will be just fine.

Thanks tolz, kind words.

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
so this kid stoled the tree and is mother didn't ask him were he got it from and then repoted it??
how did you fine out that they had it

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's good to hear that you got it back.

There seems to be more to this story. I would love to hear the mom's explanation.

If the boy is that interested in bonsai it might be a good opportunity to take him under your wing. At the very least it sounds like he has good taste.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Happy News. Glad you have it back, and I hope the gravity of the situation was clear to the parent.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I agree with Josef, may be a great opportunity to mentor the lad, under the guise of punishment for his thievery.

But glad for good friends and getting your tree back.

Top Bottom