Side project nursery arby

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
And this is the experience for most people who get to work with this material...Dieback is common and it some instances Thuja are more finicky than Hinoki in regards to shoot selection and the results thereof......I agree that you probably will lose some foliar extensions due to aggressive reduction...You have to try and work these guys back, almost like you would with an Hinoki

Do people grow thuja in New Orleans? Curious as to their southern range...

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
What do you mean "YOU" people?...lol....There growth isn't as vigorous here, but they do survive without decline....Same with Hinokis, just have to over pot to keep the roots cooler or keep the pot in shade.....

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Nice work Rob. Many of us are impressed with the first styling which is great. But what we should all be more impressed with is Rob's longer term management of Thuja foliage on his other literati Thuja, which is very well done. Keeping thuja foliage in check is a huge amount of work. He has proven that he knows what he is talking about.

Marcosolo is right that you should always choose hinoki over thuja in an ideal world... but we can't get collected hinokis around here. We can, however, get yamadori thuja that are worth working on, despite the annoying-as-hell foliage. I'm a big advocate of thuja but only if you start out with the right material.

There are a number of field growers of Hinoki in northern states, y'all shouldn't have an issue finding the good material, just affording it....A real downside to these slow growers is the prices that must be kept in order for growing them at a commercial level to be economically feasible.....

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work Rob. Many of us are impressed with the first styling which is great. But what we should all be more impressed with is Rob's longer term management of Thuja foliage on his other literati Thuja, which is very well done. Keeping thuja foliage in check is a huge amount of work. He has proven that he knows what he is talking about.

Marcosolo is right that you should always choose hinoki over thuja in an ideal world... but we can't get collected hinokis around here. We can, however, get yamadori thuja that are worth working on, despite the annoying-as-hell foliage. I'm a big advocate of thuja but only if you start out with the right material.

Thanks amkhallid. Ya, I have been training my other arby for like 7-8 years. For the first few years. I was thinking.. What is going on with this foliage..lol

Rob

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
There are a number of field growers of Hinoki in northern states, y'all shouldn't have an issue finding the good material, just affording it....A real downside to these slow growers is the prices that must be kept in order for growing them at a commercial level to be economically feasible.....

Never seen any... although I am in Canada. The big hinokis I've seen are ugly grafts with uninspiring trunks and no interior branching. Still, I am trying to graft hinoki on yamadori thuja trunks. I've only seen it done successfully by Nick Lenz. Slow process. The availability of world-class T. occidentalis material in my neighborhood makes me pretty uninterested in field grown hinoki.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Never seen any... although I am in Canada. The big hinokis I've seen are ugly grafts with uninspiring trunks and no interior branching. Still, I am trying to graft hinoki on yamadori thuja trunks. I've only seen it done successfully by Nick Lenz. Slow process. The availability of world-class T. occidentalis material in my neighborhood makes me pretty uninterested in field grown hinoki.

I would love to see pics of the Hinoki grafted on Arbi. Sounds very interested.

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Glad to see you having fun Robbie! :cool:

You are dah man with green Cousin It's in a can. :cool:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Glad to see you having fun Robbie! :cool:

You are dah man with green Cousin It's in a can. :cool:

lol.. If its cheap, problematic and a mess, I'm on it...lol. However, I have been trying to get away from this thinking and these things and just work on high quality material. However, with that line of thinking and a budget, there doesn't seem to be much bonsai work to do..lol

Rob

Reaction score

Rob

I know I have a better picture on my computer somewhere but this is all I could find. It took Nick a few years for the grafts to take but very nice result.
john

Attachments

• hinoki_cedar_wayne.jpg
    hinoki_cedar_wayne.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 40

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
lol.. If its cheap, problematic and a mess, I'm on it...lol. However, I have been trying to get away from this thinking and these things and just work on high quality material. However, with that line of thinking and a budget, there doesn't seem to be much bonsai work to do..lol

Rob

You've got it backward Rob, You should always do high quality work on what ever material you find yourself in contact with. You really don't seem to have a problem with that.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know I have a better picture on my computer somewhere but this is all I could find. It took Nick a few years for the grafts to take but very nice result.
john

Thanks John. That is absolutely spectacular. All of Nick's work is so incredible. Also, he is such a nice guy and very friendly. It was an honor and a pleasure meeting him at the nursery.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You've got it backward Rob, You should always do high quality work on what ever material you find yourself in contact with. You really don't seem to have a problem with that.

Thanks Vance... Some of, what I consider my best bonsai, were created from poor stock and stock that many would over look. That's why, every once in a while, I will buy something like this. Sometimes, the tree cooperates, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it really is up to the tree.:D

Rob

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

Rob

Hi Rob,

Here is a link to my story attempting thuja grafting. It also includes a better picture of Lenz's hinoki cedar that John posted.

http://lakeshorebonsai.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/grafting-hinoki-on-thuja-arborvitae-part-1/

I'm over one year into the project and an approach graft seems to have taken, but I am not even close to considering separating it.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pretty snappy response for an individual who has only 10 post.....A response to you of this sort, I dare say, may have been merited....I was only stating that flaunting of knowledge unnecessarily and profusely is callous and classless.....If you have a question, you should ask it..If you have an opinion, state it...And if your presented with either of these, respond accordingly....The purpose of this forum is not only to further knowledge but to communicate with people of the same interest and gauge the progress of a specimen one is refining...I gave an opinion and was given, in return, a dumbed down horticultural lecture, which is common on this forum, and insulting to those of us who actually went to school for the subject....Learn, but don't put your head in a beehive just to see the inside.....

No your responses are what are callous and classless.

Can't wait to see your work in five years Mr Prodigy.

Don't worry this will be the last thread of yours I will post in, as I won't open any by you anymore, I don't do attitude well, as you can see.

Hey Mr Leppo, this would be a great place to chime in with your regular response to me:rolleyes:

Sorry Rob, your thread didn't deserve this.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Rob,

Here is a link to my story attempting thuja grafting. It also includes a better picture of Lenz's hinoki cedar that John posted.

http://lakeshorebonsai.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/grafting-hinoki-on-thuja-arborvitae-part-1/

I'm over one year into the project and an approach graft seems to have taken, but I am not even close to considering separating it.

Very interesting! I look forward to the end result.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No your responses are what are callous and classless.

Can't wait to see your work in five years Mr Prodigy.

Don't worry this will be the last thread of yours I will post in, as I won't open any by you anymore, I don't do attitude well, as you can see.

Hey Mr Leppo, this would be a great place to chime in with your regular response to me:rolleyes:

Sorry Rob, your thread didn't deserve this.

Hi Bill.. Good to hear from you.. As far as this thread...A day at B nut would not be complete without some up rising..;) Still, I don't think anything will top the old days at Bonsai Talk. That was like the UFC of the bonsai world. ;)

Rob

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sigh...Why is everyone's response on this forum an assumption of the other party's ignorance?..Sorry if I seem strident in this response, but I have plenty of experience with a myriad of species and this species is no different, nor are other members of the family Thuja or related families with poor meristematic memory on old wood, such as(but not exclusive to) Chameacyparis and Thujopsis......I have been doing this for a certain number of years and have cared for trees that would make some of you drool, been referred to as a prodigy by a few affluent artist, and have only recently picked the art back up due to revitalization in my own interest in life in general..So unfortunately any trees I would have to show as of now have only been in development for maybe 6 months(excluding trees I have been fiddling with in the wild for close to a decade).....So all this "well, what you don't understand" talk is quite annoying and incredibly unbearable and makes witnessing this forum the only action that seems without it's problems...When I chime in it is for humor's sake or personal opinion on the state of a tree.......That's all.....Nice quick work, as I said before......

Sorry but I had to go back and see what the fuss was all about. First of all you come off with this remarkable response: Why is everyone's response on this forum an assumption of the other party's ignorance?.. If I am asked a question I assume that the query is made by someone who does not know the answer, other wise I am left to assume this person is some sort of pedantic doody head looking to trip someone up with an abundance of knowledge and use that knowledge to embarrass them.

The short story here is that we have no way of knowing whether someone knows anything or not, especially when some of the more irritating former members of this forum change their avatars and pseudonyms like I change my socks. Then you come at the entire forum with this wonderful revelation: referred to as a prodigy by a few affluent artist, and have only recently picked the art back up due to revitalization in my own interest in life in general. So now we are informed you were a one time considered a prodigy. Trouble here is that there is a thing called a flash in the pan where a one time prodigy becomes a dilitante. It would seem to me that if your were more interested in bonsai than you are in promoting yourself you would be able to make more of a contribution to the art and be much happier in the process. JMHO and in the scheme of things quite unimportant.

Sometimes; some of you guys make me feel like I am viewing a real life bonsai version of Edie and The Cruisers II. Where Bonsai Edie returns in disguise in hopes that someone of his fans will recognize his distinct presence and convince him to reveal himself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
huh... took longer than I thought for the 'p' word to bite marcosolo back. Hubris, weren't we having a talk about that a month ago? Maybe Marco missed it.

But hey, a spot of compassion if we may... he did confess (without actually being apologetic about it) that he was in the grip of a nic-fit. Having been there, I know that it takes all the rational right out of you.

If rationality has had a chance to return, he'll be honest enough to admit he was tearing off a bit and take a different tack to how he reacts to the reaction. :cool: We all jump the gun from time to time. :)

We can only hope....

Kindly,

Victrinia

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
huh... took longer than I thought for the 'p' word to bite marcosolo back. Hubris, weren't we having a talk about that a month ago? Maybe Marco missed it.

But hey, a spot of compassion if we may... he did confess (without actually being apologetic about it) that he was in the grip of a nic-fit. Having been there, I know that it takes all the rational right out of you.

If rationality has had a chance to return, he'll be honest enough to admit he was tearing off a bit and take a different tack to how he reacts to the reaction. :cool: We all jump the gun from time to time. :)

We can only hope....

Kindly,

Victrinia

If this individual is who I think he is, he really deserves the chastisement he just received.

As to the nic fit if you are refering to a termination of smoking???---I just recently went through that ( March 27) and didn't find it necessary to use it as an excuse for treating people like crap. However; if as I suspect this individual is who I suspect he is, he is noted for behaving in that manner toward anyone he pleases, with or without tobacco and with seeming impunity. Assuming in his own mind that he is the fair haired boy of bonsai he thinks he can take on a lot of Yamadori, criticize those who don't then just walk away, leaving some very valuable trees to compost. Then turn around and come back without someone saying something?

Any way; sometimes compassion comes to those who offer it. Victrinia; you are a very good and kind person but sometimes you just got to let people take their lumps.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Congratulations Vance!! :) That's awesome... truly.

I don't want to excuse bad behavior, I promise... just would love to see that energy he has turned into something meaningful. He can over-react to the current conversation, and shut down people's ability to hear him, or take his lumps as the fruits of his words, and do something productive.

Speaking of productive.... I got my hands on a very nice Juniper Procumbens nana I should show you (et alia), I need help... I don't know how to manage a mature one. lol I have a pair of younglings I grew from a prig off of a tree I killed back in my early days, but managing a mature one is likely not the same I think? Because mostly I ignore them, and they keep getting bigger. Some how ignoring this sounds like a bad idea. lol :)

I'll post a photo of it tonight.

Warmly,

Victrinia

Top Bottom