Jacaranda - slice side or rechop

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is already on its 3rd trunk chop. The first chop to this tree was just to recuce the height by about 2/3, waited for it to recover but there was never a branch low enough to make into new leader, so it got another straight chop about 3 years later. The center mad a nice spoked broom which i was happy with until the nice frond leaves turned into branches and then it became symetrical looking so I knocked off all but one branch, hoping the scar tissue would cease. It did not and became large and lumpy.
1 year later chopped top above 'wheel" again, and remaining stem was bent down in an attempt to get a bud lower, which it did, but now i am stuck with this huge bulge which i could saw off, leaving huge wound, or just CHOP IT AGAIN, below all that mess?

20230711_193152.jpg

20230818_155018.jpg

I decided the smaller branch here was too close and awkward to keep so it came off... the 3 upright branches on main stem were cut back to first leaf. With that much cut, it will redevelop a branch at the bulge area in a better spot so I can keep. That will give me 4 base branches to work with for a start of a canopy and ramification next year. I feel like that is enough for now. I will take a photo once it starts sprouting from those branches.

View attachment 504184

I decided the smaller branch here was too close and awkward to keep so it came off... the 3 upright branches on main stem were cut back to first leaf. With that much cut, it will redevelop a branch at the bulge area in a better spot so I can keep. That will give me 4 base branches to work with for a start of a canopy and ramification next year. I feel like that is enough for now. I will take a photo once it starts sprouting from those branches.
Completely unrelated to your question, but that tree does not look like a Jacaranda, the leaves look completely wrong. Looks more like a brazilian rain tree/leopard tree or something like that.

Completely unrelated to your question, but that tree does not look like a Jacaranda, the leaves look completely wrong. Looks more like a brazilian rain tree/leopard tree or something like that.
Hahaha! OMg you are right.
The jacaranda was important because I grew it from seed, but I guess it died a long time ago, and I was left with 2 other tropical saplings.

I appreciate it.... I will post the leaves of both.

The first picture looks like Jacaranda leaves to me.
When you work with them a lot the difference are like comparing a pine with a maple. Jacaranda leaf below for reference. Shape of each leaflet, colouration, number of little leaves, compactness of compound leaves all differ

Attachments

• jacaranda.jpg
    jacaranda.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 14
20231022_121047.jpg

Showing Jacaranda leaf next to the others, presumably ponciana then.

Back
Top Bottom