Show us your shrooms

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
@KateM sorry, when cleaning them off I spotted one that must have been more mature and had much better gills

20231107_162236.jpg

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@KateM sorry, when cleaning them off I spotted one that must have been more mature and had much better gills

View attachment 516426
Right. I can't positively identify them. Maybe you can try to trace the stem and see if they originate from the tree root/trunk or from the substrate? And try to read up on honey mushrooms. Maybe try to do a spore print?
It would be a shame to keep something that can attack the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
@KateM thanks for trying anyway,

A free AI app also gave 50%match and the ones on the trunk seem similar and if left would likely have the same damage as some pics I have found when researching. I removed all of them this afternoon and will try treating with fungicide and see how they goes

As soon as I seen possible damage I decided to remove them all, not worth the risk!

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is on a crabapple in extremely poor condition. I look at it as another sign that it may not make it.

Attachments

• IMG_20231124_154514298_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20231124_154514298_HDR~2.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 23

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is on a crabapple in extremely poor condition. I look at it as another sign that it may not make it.
That appears to be turkey tail. Trametes versicolor
The fungus digests wet wood, leading to rot. I think they specifically target dead wood, so it’s probably not the pathogen killing the tree, just an accessory to the crime.

Last edited:

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oregon coast
In case you weren’t aware, these guys form symbiotic relationships with lots of tree species.
I believe there’s potential use for the fungus in bonsai substrate but haven’t seen it done yet.
Anyway, nice comparison shots of the button and more mature cap.

Top Bottom