Show us your shrooms

Anyone growing mushrooms inside? I do aerogardens and want to start mushrooms at some point too.

The squirrels in the park will take these from you and eat them.

Cool thread.
The weather was great today so my sister and I made a foraging trail in my woods.
Next spring we will plant several types of mushrooms as well as different berries and flowers.
Still lots to do but funny I see this thread after working on this today.
Any suggestions on which mushroom plugs to get?
70B4B626-E54F-4E13-8CD8-24E94A7B8345.jpeg
8728D786-132B-4D38-9BD6-2F7D9D2D5B34.jpeg

I hunt these tasty morsels on a buddy’s property…gotta love the lions mane (Hericium Erinaceus)…slice em thin and simmer them in a little bit of butter and you have an awesome meal that’s not only delicious but it’s fantastic for your brain too! 😎
CEB74193-6D1A-404B-9AC0-AEE68A7D0FD7.jpeg55EE8C36-C194-4D7B-B201-68690DEBE38C.jpegC5B460D9-E68D-493F-8CEB-D6CFF0771845.jpeg0D3D4E67-AA3C-420E-9B58-D2D511423F31.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool thread.
The weather was great today so my sister and I made a foraging trail in my woods.
Next spring we will plant several types of mushrooms as well as different berries and flowers.
Still lots to do but funny I see this thread after working on this today.
Any suggestions on which mushroom plugs to get?
View attachment 467040
View attachment 467041
Nice work.
I have no experience with inoculation but id probably go with a native mushroom. Looks like your trail winds through hardwoods, so oysters maybe.. something that won’t cause problems for the live trees.

Anyone growing mushrooms inside? I do aerogardens and want to start mushrooms at some point too.
I do sometimes. I love pleurotus djamor, pink oyster. Grows on basically everything, from microwaved damp cardboard to sterilized grains or pet store straw. Not the fine grass hay, it's contains too many different fungi. The gold colored straw stuff is great and usually doesn't require pasturisation.

I do recommend getting a couple air filtered containers to start a culture and keep a backup, they're relatively expensive containers (up to 4 dollars a piece) but they can be used twice if they're polypropylene (pp5 plastic). Buy some live mushroom plugs. Microwave some cardboard (like toilet rolls) in water until it boils, strain it in a colander while hot and let it dry a little (or add some dry cardboard). Should be damp, not wet.
Put the cardboard in the containers while leaving about 15% of the container empty, and let them cool, then add the plugs with live culture/spawn. Let them rip (3-5 weeks) until they colonized the container and you can use this colony to inoculate a bag of water-soaked pet store straw by poking 30 holes in the plastic wrapping and inserting the colonized cardboard.
Soak it in the sink if it looks dry. In about 4-6 weeks it'll have colonized the straw and it'll start to fruit. You can get around 5 flushes of mushrooms from a bag. With the right water management you should be able to get about 3 buckets full of mushrooms.

With regular oyster mushrooms you can use store bought mushrooms to inoculate wet straw straight away, same process of poking holes and just jamming the mushrooms in there. But make sure they're fresh. They colonize cardboard as well.

I backup container that's fully colonized can last about 4 months "in rest", so by keeping the system running by inoculating new containers every once in a while, you can basically have a continuous production.

Back
Top Bottom