Shout out to Adair

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Let us know how long it takes to get the results. I'm hearing many are waiting a week or even up to 2 weeks now. Almost makes testing pointless unless you're staying in a bubble until the results come in.

Gonna grill up some ribs today. Tried a new method last time, foil wrapping and it worked great. We'll find out if it was a one-time thing today!

BTW, I had mentioned this to Adair already but...decandled my JBP at the usual time this year and of course we've had an unusually hot and sunny summer. So...all the new candles are growing much longer than I had hoped. Always something!
The results will supposedly be emailed to us in 3-5 business days... we shall see.

... and I always finish my smoked ribs wrapped in foil with a mix of barbecue sauce and apple juice (if I'm smart enough to get it beforehand:rolleyes:)... keeps them nice and moist!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
foil wrapping and it worked great.
It's what I do. A wet-rub and then smoke for an hour. Wrap in foil and leave at ~100C / Whateverboilingofwateris F for 6-8 hours.
Then crisp them directly over the heat with a honey-soy sauce base.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's what I do. A wet-rub and then smoke for an hour. Wrap in foil and leave at ~100C / Whateverboilingofwateris F for 6-8 hours.
Then crisp them directly over the heat with a honey-soy sauce base.
100C = 212 F (you should at least know that one!)

I had been using a recipe that involved cooking for a couple of hours at low temp (using indirect heat on a gas grill), then wrapping for about an hour off heat. Got that recipe out of one of those "best recipe" cookbooks where they supposedly test all kinds of variations to find...the "best" one. The ribs always came out "OK" but always seemed quite a bit drier than when we'd get them out. So was looking for a change. This last time I wrapped in foil (after applying a dry rub), then cooked over higher heat (like 350) for an hour and a half or so. Then unwrapped and put back on the grill for about 10 minutes with smoke and some sauce. What a difference, they were just like what you'd get out. Not as smoky but tender and moist.

The results will supposedly be emailed to us in 3-5 business days... we shall see.

My wife just scheduled a covid test for Tueday, required by the university before she can go back on campus. We've been holed up here since March so there's not much chance she'll be positive.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These must be baby back ribs if you need to use foil to keep them moist. I always do spare ribs more meaty and flavorful than back ribs. Dry rub. Smoke 7-8 hours at 250 F. Baste with sauce at the end. In the first few hours I often baste with a beer vinegar mix.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Let us know how long it takes to get the results. I'm hearing many are waiting a week or even up to 2 weeks now. Almost makes testing pointless unless you're staying in a bubble until the results come in.

Gonna grill up some ribs today. Tried a new method last time, foil wrapping and it worked great. We'll find out if it was a one-time thing today!

BTW, I had mentioned this to Adair already but...decandled my JBP at the usual time this year and of course we've had an unusually hot and sunny summer. So...all the new candles are growing much longer than I had hoped. Always something!
Negative x 4...

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got mine back on Monday from a test Wednesday (-). (Work was going to shut off card access to anyone w/o a test. Its not a huge deal as I don't plan on being back on campus anytime soon. The problem comes when I have to be on campus at a time I haven't planned: when something breaks requiring a crash cart in a datacenter. The test wasn't near as bad as I worried it was going to be. I'll likely have to be tested again, so at least now I'm not dreading it.

Also, check out 3(or 2)-2-1 ribs.

BBQ throwdown @ Adair's?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The test wasn't near as bad as I worried it was going to be. I'll likely have to be tested again, so at least now I'm not dreading it.

Interesting. My wife had hers this morning and said it was a horrible experience and her nose still hurts. I wonder how much variability there is depending on who does the swabbing.

@Dav4 , how was it for you?

I've had flu swabs before but I don't think they go so deep for that (or so long). If you've had flu swabs, how did the covid compare?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting. My wife had hers this morning and said it was a horrible experience and her nose still hurts. I wonder how much variability there is depending on who does the swabbing.

@Dav4 , how was it for you?

I've had flu swabs before but I don't think they go so deep for that (or so long). If you've had flu swabs, how did the covid compare?
I've never been tested for any respiratory illnesses before, so this was my first. The sample collection process didn't really hurt but wasn't comfortable either... my eyes teared up almost instantly but that was about it... perhaps I really do have a high pain tolerance!!! :p

Reactions: coh

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Not enough... but maybe enough to buy a Tesla SUV with... covid pricing or pre-owned may be necessary for the math to work:p.
Do it! An electric car is a game changer. I was skeptical but got pushed into it by my son and I will never go back.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
(emphasis mine)

She counted to TEN! I didn't think she was going to stop!

The key is looking the lady doing the test in the eyes and saying "Be gentle, ok?". Wait for her to say ok before letting her have access to your the bottom of your brain.

It was unpleasant, but I wouldn't characterize it as painful. I've never been swabbed for flu. A coworker who has perpetual sinus issues complained of much more discomfort during testing.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
(emphasis mine)

She counted to TEN! I didn't think she was going to stop!

The key is looking the lady doing the test in the eyes and saying "Be gentle, ok?". Wait for her to say ok before letting her have access to your the bottom of your brain.

It was unpleasant, but I wouldn't characterize it as painful. I've never been swabbed for flu. A coworker who has perpetual sinus issues complained of much more discomfort during testing.

That could be it, my wife does have sinus issues...says it still hurts 6 hours later if she leans forward. Hopefully they didn't puncture her brainstem!

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My JRP is doing this as well, is that indicative of a problem?
Sorry to take away from the Adair love...

Judy, I've noticed that where there was only one bud at decandling sites previously, I'm seeing multiples now. My backbudding is limited, but there is some. I wonder if the backbudding is delayed compared to the decandling buds popping. Can you confirm what I'm seeing on your own JRP? When did you decandle?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry to take away from the Adair love...

Judy, I've noticed that where there was only one bud at decandling sites previously, I'm seeing multiples now. My backbudding is limited, but there is some. I wonder if the backbudding is delayed compared to the decandling buds popping. Can you confirm what I'm seeing on your own JRP? When did you decandle?
What I wound up with was multiple buds that didn't extend at all at each decandling site. They didn't really even form buds, it seems like needle buds that just opened right away. I've never seen this happen before, and the tree was strong going in. Not sure of exact date when I did decandle, but sometime the 3rd or 4th week of June.
Sorry for the thread derail...
IMG_2801.jpgIMG_2802.jpgIMG_2803.jpgIMG_2804.jpg

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
WOW! Great story!
I just realized that I am this close to so many Bonsinut fellows! I am not new to bonsai but I stopped for 4 years after moving from Indiana to Georgia. The winter here is so much easier and I can't believe I didn't pick it back up until this COVID thing hits.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
WOW! Great story!
I just realized that I am this close to so many Bonsinut fellows! I am not new to bonsai but I stopped for 4 years after moving from Indiana to Georgia. The winter here is so much easier and I can't believe I didn't pick it back up until this COVID thing hits.
Look into joining the Atlanta Bonsai Society.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Look into joining the Atlanta Bonsai Society.
I did search for clubs and found it. But it didn’t have much activity so I wasn’t sure if it was a valid club... I will look into it again tonight.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did search for clubs and found it. But it didn’t have much activity so I wasn’t sure if it was a valid club... I will look into it again tonight.
Well, there aren’t any meetings happening right now...

this is the time of year we usually do the club auction. I don’t know if they’re going to try to do it or not.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, there aren’t any meetings happening right now...

this is the time of year we usually do the club auction. I don’t know if they’re going to try to do it or not.
No go on the in person auction this year, unfortunately... the powers that be are looking into a virtual auction at this point.

Top Bottom