Scorched maple leaves

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all! Are these laves sun scorched (i don't normally keep it in full sun)? or water shorage scorched? oor myabe my water is to acidic (i live in london with hardwater, i've started collecting rainwater now tho) Any tips to getting healthier foliage?

Attachments

• IMG_3954.JPG
    IMG_3954.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7300.JPG
    IMG_7300.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8884.JPG
    IMG_8884.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7129.JPG
    IMG_7129.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5186.JPG
    IMG_5186.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
You could try defoliating. Scorched leaves feel almost brittle with little softness and no firmness.

I defoliated my leaves that got burned late june and they just started coming back much healthier than the first set.

Not sure if this is the case but i think i learned that unhealthy leaves taxes the maple more than no leaves, but to only defoliate healthy trees. Always some risk involved but best to do it with knowledge and understanding.

I kept my defoliated tree under constant shade and sparsely watered. It took about 3 weeks or less before the leaves budded20200712_130617_001.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a day or two with not enough water, or maybe drying wind. Japanese maple leaves can be delicate. What I often do in this case is partial defoliation, or just some leaf cutting (cut off 2/3). Enough leaf cutting will stimulate more budding, you'll have to do it to most of the tree.

Fred1991

Yamadori
Reaction score
Looks like a day or two with not enough water, or maybe drying wind. Japanese maple leaves can be delicate. What I often do in this case is partial defoliation, or just some leaf cutting (cut off 2/3). Enough leaf cutting will stimulate more budding, you'll have to do it to most of the tree.
Thanks for your reply Erich! I believe it’s from under watering aswell. I might leave it like this till next year as I have recently done a partial defoliation and I don’t want to stress the tree more than necessary. What do you think?

Top Bottom