My hornbeam bonsai has scorched in 3 days of sun

When removing leafs, cut at the base of the leaf, leaving the petiole in place. It guards the bud(s) in the axil and will be kicked off when the bud expands.

When removing leafs, cut at the base of the leaf, leaving the petiole in place. It guards the bud(s) in the axil and will be kicked off when the bud expands.
Good call. I guess most of us just figured that is the way it is, without allowing for those who do not know it. It cannot be said too often.

Matter of fact, I once knew a guy that had a lot of figs that he denuded every year and did it by grabbing the leaves and ripping them off. His trees never really looked "refined".

Applied bug and fungus control last night. Dead leaves removed this morning. Thoroughly watered. Now going to leave it to drink up some sunshine while I pop out to buy some plant food.

Not sure what else to do.

Will keep you posted.

IMG_3277.jpg

I speculate that the OP bought this tree pretty much as-is. It takes years to achieve the existing great architecture and probably had tighter foliage pads at one time. To get back to that good form the owner needs to remove terminal buds every autumn when the tree drops its leaves, and defoliate in June, again removing terminal buds. In a couple years it can get back to this (Korean) ...
H 051721 SQ.JPG

I speculate that the OP bought this tree pretty much as-is. It takes years to achieve the existing great architecture and probably had tighter foliage pads at one time. To get back to that good form the owner needs to remove terminal buds every autumn when the tree drops its leaves, and defoliate in June, again removing terminal buds. In a couple years it can get back to this (Korean) ...
View attachment 385981

The OP said he inherited the tree from a relative

Back
Top Bottom