Save a Branch or Cut It?

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I find the bottom right branch way too thick. Would making a cut as shown work? It's either that or remove the thick branch all together.

Thanks.

Attachments

• JM 1.jpg
    JM 1.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 56
You should be able to cut back the sub further. For a cut that large you may need to use some cut paste to seal it though.

You should be able to cut back the sub further. For a cut that large you may need to use some cut paste to seal it though.
Sorry, not sure what you mean by cutting back the sub further.

I think there's a typo. Should read 'cut the stub further' meaning remove the thick branch altogether. That can work well. You'll usually get some more buds from the trunk nearby that you can grow a new branch.
In this case there are already some existing side shoots in good position so the cut you've proposed could just work. I haven't done it but theory is sound I think. Maybe try it out and see what happens. You can always fall back to total removal if it doesn't look good in a year or 2 and the lower part of the final chop will already be healed.

I'm guessing from the short internodes and graft line this is a dwarf form of JM?

I think there's a typo. Should read 'cut the stub further' meaning remove the thick branch altogether. That can work well. You'll usually get some more buds from the trunk nearby that you can grow a new branch.
In this case there are already some existing side shoots in good position so the cut you've proposed could just work. I haven't done it but theory is sound I think. Maybe try it out and see what happens. You can always fall back to total removal if it doesn't look good in a year or 2 and the lower part of the final chop will already be healed.

I'm guessing from the short internodes and graft line this is a dwarf form of JM?
Not sure on the maple variety. I was thinking of trying. The only issue i have a large possible fee3der on the other side that I could use to thread graft. But I guess I could use it for a thread graft as 1 of the lower branches, or in the back where there is minimal btanching.

Back
Top Bottom