Save my bank account - This Chojubai…

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
They’re also at New England Bonsai gardens, but usually just smaller plants there for chojubai.
Chujubai are available in the States but one in this size is not easy to find, they are easily propagated from cutting also yet there's a reason they're so expensive when they're in a decent bonsai state. You can easily get a twig for around $100 or less but would you keep it for 30 years and sell it for $1k ?????? I believed Michael Hagedorn stated that they only grow to not even an inch thick in 30 years in pot. Cheers!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Funny coming here to get talked out of buying a tree is like showing up at a restaurant and trying to not eat.😂

IMO, the tree is overpriced a bit, and probably smaller than the photos make it appear. Chojubai are awesome little plants that trunk up super slowly, but the charm is the craggy bark and twiggy branches sporting the orange flowers almost all year. I wouldn’t be quite as hung upon a fat trunk in this species like I would a maple.

Then again, people will overpay if it’s just the right tree to round out the perfect shohin display rack.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Yeah I knew what I was getting into. I even click-baited the title 😂. Most of what I’ve gotten from the feedback is I wasn’t crazy for being on the fence.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have been in a similar situation where I was on the fence about a particular tree.
One I let get away still haunts me...:eek:

RobGA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Make a lower offer, “If you don’t ask, you don’t get”. Good luck with whatever you decide.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The branch consistency and bark characteristics do look like Chojubai in this case. Chojubai being a dwarf cultivar has distinctively thinner trunk and branch structure from regular Japanese quince. Also a more consistent flower color with less variation usually. This specimen shows another highly desireable trait. The bark is rougher portraying " age" with refinement in the smaller branching and ramification.
The " trunk" appears to be one of those developed by clumping and entertwining cuttings. Here is a picture of one that shows typical Chojubai characteristics. Larger specimen in private nursery setting. Not prepared for show! Side shot and overhead to show branching detail. If you look closely the bark is a very desirable characteristic.
IMG_1252.JPGIMG_1253.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And just for contrast cuttings hanging out in the greenhouse! The pots are basic terracotta azalea style 10 inch compact. the cuttings are 7 years old from a single cutting. Container grown, little to no styling to this point. Wiring with this dwarf cultivar is still possible on branch or trunk structure less than ten years. Will begin to style and wire this year. I wanted to produce some size to begin with. Sorry for the congested pictures, did not want to unpack the greenhouse shelves.
IMG_2156.JPGIMG_2157.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
They key trait that makes 'Chojubai' distinctive over other dwarf Chaenomeles is that at 25 to 35 years of age it develops the flaky bark out onto its twigs, not just its trunk. That is its "bonsai best trait"

Other dwarfs tend to have a darker, smooth bark on their twigs even into extreme old age. Though trunks may develop fissured bark, twigs will be smooth.

At one time or another I've grown most of the list of Chaenomeles available from Evergreen Gardenworks (Brent), and I found 'Chojubai' to be one of the weakest in my climate. Of the dwarfs 'Hime' and 'Kan Toyo' performed better, though are delicate in zone 5-6, and need winter protection.

Best for me in my Chicago-Milwaukee climate, were the larger shrub sizes. 'Iwai Nishiki' with its beautiful double deep red flowers, I got a true 'Minerva' from the farm, its a nice pink. Brent only has 'Not Minerva' which is more a coral color. At any rate, I've had many others, best for hardiness were the shrub sizes, ;Iwai Nishiki' , 'Minerva' and Toyo Nishiki'.. I only got white and occasional pink out of Toyo Nishiki, never got red or even red segments on the flowers. But as a white & pink it was nice.

For time and effort, the medium shrub size Chaenomeles become nicer bonsai much more quickly. The dwarfs like 'Hime' are more rewarding because they grow reasonably well, Chojubai is a challenge because it is weak and slow in my climate. It might be better in a Pacific Northwest Climate, but here its slow.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have found it fairly robust for a dwarf cultivar in my climate. I would still consider it " quirky" in that predictability is limited. When I compare notes with other growers it seems they experience different issues and find a variety of local solutions. I can recall Michael Hagedorn adapting care routines in the early years of setting down roots in Milwaukee. A number of factors seems to affect their growth patterns and interrupt steady growth. Once established on the Island I have not experienced those up and down periods where they inexplicably drop their leaves or stall in growth pattern. I do give them winter protection every year and transition them slowly outdoors in the spring. I have also shifted from full sun exposure in the summer to partial shade. With the change hey keep a darker green leaf colour and stronger growth pattern. Like Michael I have opted for deeper containers and larger soil volume for development. They do not like drying out, shallower containers require more moisture retentive soil mixes and more frequent watering. Just some thoughts from my experience.

Top Bottom