Save my bank account - This Chojubai…

Uncle, Personally I think chojubai is overrated as bonsai. Flower isn't all that and has fragrance.
I haven’t made up my mind yet. Right now I have way too many things to deal with to consider adding.

Uncle, Personally I think chojubai is overrated as bonsai. Flower isn't all that and has no fragrance.
I don't know if I would call it overrated. A very nice dense chojubai full of flowers is nothing short of amazing in my opinion. Are they hard to develop and maintain, yes, finicky as @Cadillactaste put it, but they do reward you when you take your time. I am letting mine grow and studying it for the time being, it grows 1-2' extensions if you let them so I really don't see where the "slow grower" coin came from, maybe when they are in a small pot? I plan on taking a lot of cuttings in spring, and hopefully building a decent clump from them. In the mean time, I can continue to develop the one I have into a single trunk tree. I love clumps but would love to see how far I can take a single trunk chojubai... so far it is a little over 1/4" so nothing to write about.

As far as the OP, I would suggest you send a pic to Hagedorn and see if he agrees with the price. Not sure if he would answer, but could be a possibility. Another person that could chime in about the price is Sergio @MACH5 as he is a very experienced grower and a power seller/buyer from what I see... 😂

If I had extra money laying around, I would probably buy it, If that pot is a 9x9, that means the trunk on it is almost 2" and the nebari close to 8", you could always play with the planting angle and build a powerfull clump by burying most of the nebari in solid small particle lava or pumice and after a year start "eroding" it away. It will start shooting suckers that you can start training... like Onuma does on his mini chojubais.

1705073660080.png

I haven’t made up my mind yet. Right now I have way too many things to deal with to consider adding.

I would wait till you move... Or just buy one 2 3/4" or 4" and let it grow...

Maybe if you have spare cash lying around - but that's a lot of dough if your trying to convince your self to get it. Me I need to have no doubt - I see a black pine and I'm like yep I'll pay 500$. I've learned that if there's doubt it's a no go for me.

Purchase what you can afford. I see these go for so much for what seem like small bonsai. Why are they so expensive?

Uncle, Personally I think chojubai is overrated as bonsai. Flower isn't all that and has fragrance.

I agree..

Years and years ago it seemed Toyo Nishiki was the hot ticket quince and that faded. Chojubai picked up where that left off but i don't see the big appeal.

They are typically if not always clumps(don't get me wrong, a huge chojubai clump is impressive to see), look like shrubs more than a tree and are tempermental. As far as flowering species go, in my opinion azalea and ume always beat out quince in my opinion.

As far as the tree in question, i don't think it's a 900 tree.

How would you feel about the tree if it were planted at the proper level in the pot?
Root mass or trunk?
How about the thick curved branch out of sync with the rest of the foliage?
Likely a group of cuttings planted to appear as a larger plant. Common development for Chojubai.
Not sure of the cultivars, flower colour is quite inconsistent? Cuttings from different plants perhaps!
Pot size? and therefore tree/clump size? Age is easier to judge with some size perspective.
Raises a few questions for me, specially with the asking price!

4D65C599-9C4B-448F-9415-09BF3A511322.jpeg

Also, Chojubai is Extremely slow to put on some girth so this is a very old tree, if I have to guess I would put it at about 30+ year old tree. That’s a big factor in the the price too. I forgot that it’s a 9 inch pot, I thought it was much smaller.

Also, Chojubai is Extremely slow to put on some girth so this is a very old tree, if I have to guess I would put it at about 30+ year old tree. That’s a big factor in the the price too. I forgot that it’s a 9 inch pot, I thought it was much smaller.
Actually I agree with Frank on this one, this seems like multiple cuttings grown together to form that trunk. Not that I think it is wrong as many people do this, and I am planning on doing so. But this would bring the age to either half or less of 30 years, since it is apparent that the tree was not allowed to put suckers out and had the energy directed into the cuttings, which allowed them to thicken rapidly.

Yeah it was a back and forth between a decent trunk and size imo versus some very obvious defects like the thick branch/trunk coming right out of the middle in the first pic. I think I’m going to pass for now if only because I have too much to debate. I’ll keep my eyes open though. Btw - if anyone actually wants this one specifically, it’s Ron Nguyen on the FB Auctions who owns it.

I have mixed emotions about this tree... It is unusual / valuable because Japanese quince is a clumping species and it is really hard to get that thick singular trunk. And just like cherry blossoms in the spring, if you catch them on the right day, at the right moment, they are spectacular.

HOWEVER...

They are weak and finicky and you will constantly be battling the desire of the tree to sucker and grow as a clump. I have a red chojubai and I find the wood to be weak and soft, with secondary branches/trunks prone to die-back - with new strong growth coming up from suckers. It is hard to develop a strong apex, or for that matter, get the tree to prioritize apical growth.

And, for the 50 weeks of the year, that the tree ISN'T blooming, it would look like a squat, prickly, twiggy little thing without a lot of interest.

I would not buy this tree because I would not be willing to put up with the heart-ache for the price, particularly considering other trees on my wish list where $900 might get me more tree for my money.

For me, at my current stage in the game, I’m thinking $900 could but many very nice projects to work on.

I Love looking at nice bonsai, but I’m happiest when I’m working on trees.

It is a nice plant, and there are things that can be done to Improve it. So that’s a plus.

Purchase what you can afford. I see these go for so much for what seem like small bonsai. Why are they so expensive?
They're a dwarf shrub so they dont get large particularly fast. I'd also say that at American nurseries you're not likely to find any cultivars sought after for bonsai, its all Texas Scarlet etc...

I'd also say that at American nurseries you're not likely to find any cultivars sought after for bonsai, its all Texas Scarlet etc...
I have to disagree with this statement. Evergreen Gardenworks, Brent Walston. Variety of cultivars! In the past they have been available at Bonsai Northwest ( Seattle) , Lone Pine Nursery, Sebastapol California. I know Bonsai Northwest closed down and Lone Pine Nursery operates on very limited hours. The point is they are available in the states. Several members of BNut have posted some nice examples of true cultivars good for Bonsai purposes.
They propagate easily from cuttings.
True they are finicky and not for the easily discouraged enthusiast. More of an acquired taste and challenge than most.

Totally agree. In past four years received:

A decent sized starter chojubai from Bill V.
Cuttings from Michael H
Various from Evergreengardenworks.
A couple from kaede bonsai-en (Toyo Nishiki).
A Texas Scarlett from Bonsai NW

Perhaps too many?

One has to do the work and look around and they will be rewarded!

cheers
DSD sends

I have to disagree with this statement. Evergreen Gardenworks, Brent Walston. Variety of cultivars! In the past they have been available at Bonsai Northwest ( Seattle) , Lone Pine Nursery, Sebastapol California. I know Bonsai Northwest closed down and Lone Pine Nursery operates on very limited hours. The point is they are available in the states. Several members of BNut have posted some nice examples of true cultivars good for Bonsai purposes.
They propagate easily from cuttings.
True they are finicky and not for the easily discouraged enthusiast. More of an acquired taste and challenge than most.
They’re also at New England Bonsai gardens, but usually just smaller plants there for chojubai.

Back
Top Bottom