I need urgent help to save a maple.

mohsenosmehr

Seedling
Reaction score
I would like to add that it seems my maple absorbs water from the leaves and gives it to the soil from the roots during certain hours of the day (or night). Because I didn't water it for more than a week and only used the cold steam humidifier, but the soil is not dry yet and it is a little moist. It seems that the maple likes to dry the water around the roots faster when it sends water from the leaves to the roots. But I'm not sure.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like to add that it seems my maple absorbs water from the leaves and gives it to the soil from the roots during certain hours of the day (or night). Because I didn't water it for more than a week and only used the cold steam humidifier, but the soil is not dry yet and it is a little moist. It seems that the maple likes to dry the water around the roots faster when it sends water from the leaves to the roots. But I'm not sure.
Maples generally do NOT absorb that much, if any, water through their leaves. Temperate zone deciduous trees in general don't or can't absorb water through their leaves. That capability is primarily a trait of tropical trees. If your tree is an area with very humid conditions, water may condense on its leaves and then drop down onto the soil--the roots are still doing the transport work within the tree.

Maple DO transpire water OUT of their leaves, however. That transpiration process can be quite dramatic in arid conditions and can dry out soil and the tree if conditions allow.

You're right that maples don't like soggy soil They also don't like over dry soil. You need to get a better idea of how much water your tree is actually using, because I'd bet that is a big contributor to what's going on with it.

Kevin1968

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you live outside North America
You can roughly translate the USDA hardiness zones by finding out how low your area’s temperatures can reach, and then use the chart below to find your corresponding zone.

Zone 1: below -46 C (below -50 F)
Zone 2: -46 to -40 C (-50 to -40 F)
Zone 3: -40 to -34 C (-40 to -30 F)
Zone 4: -34 to -29 C (-30 to -20 F)
Zone 5: -29 to -23 C (-20 to -10 F)
Zone 6: -23 to -18 C (-10 to 0 F)
Zone 7: -18 to -12 C (0 to 10 F)
Zone 8: -12 to -7 C (10 to 20 F)
Zone 9: -7 to -1 C (20 to 30 F)
Zone 10: -1 to 4 C (30 to 40 F)
Zone 11: above 4 C (above 40 F)

Maybe this will help.

mohsenosmehr

Seedling
Reaction score
This should make you feel a bit better. But that tree need to be outside in full shade and well watered.
[pics]
Beautiful. One major difference between your pictures and my tree is that the leaves on your trees have dried to a brown color which looks natural. But my maple leaves are dry green and gray. This worries me. I decided to move my maples outside the house tonight. please Tell me how many degrees did the temperature rise at noon on the day you took these pictures? And how much water do they need every day?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Beautiful. One major difference between your pictures and my tree is that the leaves on your trees have dried to a brown color which looks natural. But my maple leaves are dry green and gray. This worries me. I decided to move my maples outside the house tonight. please Tell me how many degrees did the temperature rise at noon on the day you took these pictures? And how much water do they need every day?
I took those pictures at noon yesterday after reading this thread. Our temp have been 39 or 40 degrees Celsius for weeks now. This kind of temp will be around for maybe another few more weeks. This is the time my maples look the worse but most will bounce back in the Spring. I am in the camp of keeping them in full shade in my area but I didn't move them in early enough.
August Temp.jpg

Top Bottom