Sap on Leaves of Ginseng Ficus

ept1106

Seed
Reaction score
I have a Ginseng Ficus that is growing nicely. It is developing sap on the top side of some leaves. I checked for insects and can't find any and otherwise it appears very healthy. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Thank you.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Ginseng Ficus that is growing nicely. It is developing sap on the top side of some leaves. I checked for insects and can't find any and otherwise it appears very healthy. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Thank you.
The clear sticky substance is probably honeydew secreted by one of several insects. Start with a close look at the stems, undersides of the leaves and the place where the leaf stem (petiole) joins the plant stem. Check for brown bumps that can be scraped off with your finger.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh and welcome to the Nut House:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Check the undersides of leaves and specifically for scale or mealybugs. They really like to be on the petioles of ficus. Scale will be a tan/brown color, mealybugs are white.

Here are scale on my Benjamina houseplant
1000010805.jpg

Here is a honkin mealybug on a begonia
1000010803.jpg

Quarantine the plant.
I remove all the visible bugs with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol then treat with a systemic. Keep cleaning off visible bugs every 2-3 days until you go about a week without seeing new ones.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Aphid infestations have this as a symptom. I’ve been battling it on my ficus all winter long.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I get these on my ficus from time to time, usually without any visible insects.

On a healthy ficus with plenty of foliage I tend to cut any leaves with stickiness on it. Otherwise a cotton swap with alcohol can help, but be prepare to do it a few times over a period of a few weeks to really get rid of all insects and their eggs.

Top Bottom