Hornbeam. Is sap leaking dangerous in the spring?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This spring I pruned the Hornbeam and the sap was actively leaking out. I stopped this process by repotting and pruning the roots.
I'll have to do some pruning next spring as well, but I wouldn't want to repot it again. Is sap leaking so dangerous for Hornbeam?
I know that I can prune in the summer, but then I will have to defoliate to see the structure, but the tree is at an early stage of development
(setting up primary and secondary structures) and I would not want to weaken it.

According to Ryan Neil, the best time to prune "high water mobility" trees is in the fall. I've pruned in the late winter, just before the trees start moving their sap, so bleeding isn't an issue. I've had issues with dieback on fall-pruned trees.

According to Ryan Neil, the best time to prune "high water mobility" trees is in the fall. I've pruned in the late winter, just before the trees start moving their sap, so bleeding isn't an issue. I've had issues with dieback on fall-pruned trees.

From the horse’s mouth. I disagree with characterization that he said fall was the best time, it seemed that he presented both fall and after the first flush of leaves hardens. But it’s in the first 10 minutes or so of that video.

Pruning the roots and then reducing the top at the same sitting, minimizes "bleeding." Bleeding isn't going to kill your tree. It eventually stops and the tree typically doesn't have any issues.

We have this problem with maples. I do most pruning on maples as soon as the leaves fall. No issues with bleeding at that time of year.

Back
Top Bottom